The Bible and Love and Christians

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
if people DON'T want to be lumped into the evil bigoted dark side of a religion, WHY don't they speak up louder and more vocal than the crazies with something to gain?
Perhaps they feel like even if they do speak out, they'll still be denounced for being ignorant and backward for being religious anyway. You (not you personally, just in general) can ask people to speak out, but if they feel a hostile vibe, they're less likely to do so. It's the old you get more bees with honey than vinegar thing. If you want people to be on your side, you have to respect their side to a certain extent. Not agree necessarily, but respect.

I remember reading that Graham Chapman of Monty Python had nothing but disdain for the flouncy, cartoonish gay stereotype as a gay person himself.
Yeah I remember that too, from a PBS documentary on Graham, it was very interesting!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
if people DON'T want to be lumped into the evil bigoted dark side of a religion, WHY don't they speak up louder and more vocal than the crazies with something to gain?
While its every Christian's right not to speak out in opposition against their bigoted peers, those silent folk also forgo much legitimacy when they complain about being lumped in with them.

Heck, even I vocally speak out about some of the more lascivious booths at Pride being in plain view. I mean, it's City Hall. Some people can't avoid those areas and kids are present. If we want to be taken seriously then we have to learn that everything has an appropriate time, place and context. What is sad is that 10% of Pride festivities paints the whole of it. I hope that a day comes when the yearly festivities become less necessary and this country as a whole understands that gays are already in their community and contribute in many ways. Until then, we need to remind others. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Dr tooth; see though it goes beyond tolerance of gay people. I think in some ways, transgendered/intersex people have it even worse, especially as victims of attacks. (See the film Boys Dont Cry) So while it's nice Obama has tossed a few bones to the LGBT community and quietly declared June gay pride month, and it seems polls are trending to more openness toward gay marriage...fundamentally I can't see a true tolerance.

It's like the racial thing...a lot of mistrust and ignorance. I personally don't care about being PC at all. I'll speak out against both ignorance and naivity when it comes to bull that goes on with any group or against any group.

We need to shatter all paradigms, yet also not be naive. We can turn around the never ending cycle of hopelessness in black and hispanic communities, raise acceptability/tolerance, federally mandate gay marriage/adoption, and most of all renew American cities/jobs/education. (by cutting in half or more all the money spent on defense, contracted jobs overseas, etc)

beaker

Reaction score
@Frogboy: Its funny, there's a lot of things about early 90's subversive gay entertainment culture I miss. Films by Greg Araki for instance

Drtooth

Reaction score
While its every Christian's right not to speak out in opposition against their bigoted peers, those silent folk also forgo much legitimacy when they complain about being lumped in with them.
Yeah! I know, right?

If you don't like negative stereotypes speak OUT against it. Having someone say "that guy does NOT speak for us." or something goes a LONG way. Sure, there are a lot of people who speak out and their voices fall on deaf ears, but if people don't want to look like nasty backwards bigots, stop hanging out with them. if you don't want to be arrested for being a gang member, don't hang around gang mebers while dressing and acting like them.

I said it before, I was raised Christian, and I couldn't care less about anything like that. I'm not even a GOOD one! My dad's a minster... took him YEARS to get to that point, and he performed a wedding for my mother's Cousin and his guy. I never met him, so I don't know his name. Does he get a big banner? No... he doesn't even make all that much money.

Deep down what really ticks me off is that these false prophets who want to pretty much build concentration camps for gays make a crap butt load of money, and I never once got to have a PROPER Transformer and only like 1/10th of the Ninja Turtles! 1/10th if any!

Heck, even I vocally speak out about some of the more lascivious booths at Pride being in plain view. I mean, it's City Hall. Some people can't avoid those areas and kids are present. If we want to be taken seriously then we have to learn that everything has an appropriate time, place and context. What is sad is that 10% of Pride festivities paints the whole of it. I hope that a day comes when the yearly festivities become less necessary and this country as a whole understands that gays are already in their community and contribute in many ways. Until then, we need to remind others. :wink:
Something tells me I'm missing something. To me, the funniest bit about stereotypes ARE the people who hold on helplessly to the stereotype and not even know it. Like the one time a befuddled elderly Asian woman who spoke 5 words of English (none of them correctly) got into an argument with the bus driver about how he isn't going to where he wasn't going! Seriously... you ride the bus long enough, you see multiple times when some tourist or elderly person gets into an argument with the bus driver about why they're not going to where they're not going. hat was I getting at again?

Oh yeah... uh... woman was asking if the bus was going to Walgreens right? She screamed about it....I really am a might too PC to say exactly what she said... Uh... think of Cookie Monster in his own special lacking of pronouns and articles saying "What? You do not go to the Walgreens?"

No that's not even close to the topic, is it?

I'll tell you this... I passed by a Pride event for like 2 minutes walking to a CVS to buy a Madagascar PEZ dispencer, and it appeared to be over, so I can only imagine what you mean.

Or was it a Greek Festival... no... I think the Greek Festival was when I was at a convention.

I'm just rambling at this point....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If you don't like negative stereotypes speak OUT against it. Having someone say "that guy does NOT speak for us." or something goes a LONG way.
Like I said before, I think some people are afraid that even if they do speak out, they'll still be ridiculed just for being religious, period.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said before, I think some people are afraid that even if they do speak out, they'll still be ridiculed just for being religious, period.
So, they'd rather be ridiculed for being bigots?

I tell you, some people just make no sense. not you, that is, but THOSE people.

I'm a dork, and I'm not a huge Star Trek fan. And I HATE RPG's. I'm not a total stereotype then, right?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

I tell you, some people just make no sense. not you, that is, but THOSE people.
I can see where it looks that way from your perspective. But you have to see it from their perspective as well. If you want them to support you, you have to make it clear that you will respect the things that are important to them as well.

I've found that a lot of things start to make more sense once we switch our POV. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why so many people treat this time and place in the world as some sort of cautious dress rehearsal for something else to come. You're missin' out, frog bless ya'.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Meh. After years of getting told you're going to ****, you get used to it.