Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yeah. When the special was rerun (on the Odyssey Network, and possibly for the Disney Channel showing, as well), Kermit's voice was digitally pitched lower.
Wow, I had no idea they had that. I recorded the special when it first aired, now I'm grateful I'm old enough to have done so. I hate when they alter things years later for different reseasons.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I wonder why they changed the pitch, this version sounds a lot less scary, in my opinion.
Well, I guess because Steve's Kermit improved over time, they wanted to rerecord the voice so he sounded more like Kermit. I guess they just weren't all that successful with that attempt.

Also, thanks Mo, for that video you posted, but I think that's still the 'deeper voice' one that I saw. I'd like to see one vs. the other for comparison, but when you see them on YT, it's hard to tell which version is which, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
but when you see them on YT, it's hard to tell which version is which, if that makes any sense.
To quote Boris Badenov, "you sar it, keedo!" I was watching the special, "The Muppets Go to the Movies," on YouTube, and when I got to the end, I was a little confused, because I remember from Nickelodeon, Piggy asked Kermit why he put the penguins in the "Heat Wave" number. On the YouTube version, they were talking about racing to the tube (I'm an American, but I have been to England, so I understand that they meant the subway, btw). I didn't know that they had two different endings for that special until now.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Some stuff sort of related to this whole topic - Bill Barretta talks character development and taking on someone else's character. Really interesting to hear his perspective on the matter.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/5/f/b5f...01632811&hwt=fbf209cea95bbb232865f911f51a46c9
Yeah. I didn't catch that until now, but he did inherit :sympathy: and :big_grin: from :jim:. It will be interesting to listen when I get a chance and hear his thoughts on that matter and how taking over other characters are different from performing his own character: :rolleyes:.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Also, thanks Mo, for that video you posted, but I think that's still the 'deeper voice' one that I saw. I'd like to see one vs. the other for comparison, but when you see them on YT, it's hard to tell which version is which, if that makes any sense.
It's from the original CBS airing. :smile:

This is from a later airing. You can tell Kermit's voice has been played around with by the slight reverb going on when he talks.

And dont forget :hungry: Börk Börk
Don't forget Mahna Mahna.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So the heat has pretty much died down. Disney should probably post the video this Monday, but knowing them, we'll probably never see it.

And even if they don't want to post the Kermit one, why not post other ones? It was a weekly thing before the news broke out.