Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

rexcrk

Reaction score
I just read this too! I can't believe it. Being born in '88, Steve's Kermit is essentially the Kermit I grew up with.

But actually what I'm more concerned with will be his own characters, especially Rizzo. Again, growing up in the '90s, Gonzo and Rizzo were really my "main Muppets", I think seeing a new (or possibly retired) Rizzo will be the most difficult thing for this.

I'm interested to hear why he retired. Of course, he's allowed to do whatever he wants lol but I just hope it's because he wants to move on to other things and there isn't any bad blood or anything.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yes, I created a thread on this topic a few days ago, but had it taken down, as I felt it wasn't my place to bring up the matter. Nor did I have concrete evidence beyond rumors. Plus, I was fairly certain the rest of you were going to kill me for not having further evidence!

This is unfortunate. I won't speak of the rumors I've heard as to why Steve departed, but I wish him all of the best. Ditto to Matt for his new duties.

GonzoMan

Reaction score
They didn't really say why Steve left, or if they did, I must not have seen it. But I do wonder too what will happen with his other characters and who will perform them. I'll also miss the comedy pairings of Steve and Dave (Goelz). Gonzo and Rizzo made a great pair. I must also note that being born in 1992, Steve's Kermit is the Kermit that I grew up with, as I hadn't been born yet when Jim Henson died.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Get used to the Constantine jokes, folks. You're going to be seeing a lot of them from fans now. :stick_out_tongue:

For the record, I've heard that Peter will be Robin now, since Matt is busy with Kermit.

But let's focus on Steve now. Lets try our best not to be sad over the matter, but rather happily remember those great Steve characters and moments that he gave us over the years. :smile:

Oh, and please give Matt encouragement. Yes, it will take some getting used to, but I for one have a lot of confidence in him.

GonzoMan

Reaction score
Get used to the Constantine jokes, folks. You're going to be seeing a lot of them from fans now. :stick_out_tongue:

For the record, I've heard that Peter will be Robin now, since Matt is busy with Kermit.

But let's focus on Steve now. Lets try our best not to be sad over the matter, but rather happily remember those great Steve characters and moments that he gave us over the years. :smile:

Oh, and please give Matt encouragement. Yes, it will take some getting used to, but I for one have a lot of confidence in him.

Yes, let's do that. It will actually be funny to hear Matt as Kermit, since he was Constantine. So at the very least, Constantine will be back with the Muppet gang :big_grin: (you guys see what I did there, right?).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As much as I hate to be the "conspiracy theorist," I just can't help but wonder if Steve's departure is in similar vein as that of Kevin . . . I mean, why else would Steve want to leave when this was his childhood dream and the Muppets are essentially back in the public eye once again and have been for a number of years? I can understand if he wanted to step away from SST since traveling to NYC for just one character wasn't practical, but as someone pointed out, he's otherwise not just Kermit, but Rizzo, Statler, Link, Beaker, and others. He's not of retirement age yet, is he?

So many questions, so few answers.

gravy

Reaction score
As much as I hate to be the "conspiracy theorist," I just can't help but wonder if Steve's departure is in similar vein as that of Kevin . . . I mean, why else would Steve want to leave when this was his childhood dream and the Muppets are essentially back in the public eye once again and have been for a number of years? I can understand if he wanted to step away from SST since traveling to NYC for just one character wasn't practical, but as someone pointed out, he's otherwise not just Kermit, but Rizzo, Statler, Link, Beaker, and others. He's not of retirement age yet, is he?

So many questions, so few answers.
I mean, I wouldn't think it's as that major as Kevin's case, but I think Kevin knew it was coming. But steve hasn't worked with The Muppets for a full 40 years yet, but I'm sure we'll have some reasons soon.

Also, yeah, he's not really of retirement age yet but he probably saved a bunch of money. I mean, he worked with The Muppets!