Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I was reading Jim's biography on Thursday, and something in it got me to thinking. Jim and his kids are definitely different people. In the bio, it said Jim had said to his agent, "never sell anything I own." This was in regard to the commercials he created for Munchos"
actually that was when Bernie Brillstein was Negotiating with the Purina Company for Rowlf until Jim Stepped in. and Second that was back when His company consisted of a small number of people. around 1989 however as Frank Oz put it "He had a Company of over 300 people" with the Company in New York as well as the Creature shop in London, the Business Finances was starting to sap the creative Energy.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I can see your points and the points of others, but I just cannot agree on all of them. Character, the essence of who someone is, doesn't just change, and certainly not as dramatically as the Henson children are painting Steve's. A person's mental and moral qualities are the foundation from which all actions flow. And actions speak louder than words.

The Henson children acted by spitting on their father's legacy, something they knew was very important to him, selling it not once but twice to the highest bidder. Steve acted by protecting Jim's legacy and its integrity.

The Henson children acted by slandering Steve. Steve has acted with empathy, calm, and tact -- with no insults of his own slung.

So until there is something more substantial than hearsay from a morally-bankrupt corporation, greedy children disconnected entirely from The Muppets, and a couple of bitter/envious puppeteers, I decide to remain loyal to Steve Whitmire. I am loyal to the Muppet characters of course, but first and foremost I am loyal to those Muppeteers who have dedicated their lives to and have worked tirelessly to bring them to life. Loyalty, for me, isn't just a weather-vane to be moved to and fro by a fickle wind.
It sounds to me that the Henson kids are a little too set in the way Jim performed Kermit, which I can understand. Steve was just performing him the way he interpreted whatever he was given.

I think he became too protective of the way he wanted to perform Kermit. I firmly believe he really wanted to do Jim justice as Kermit.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I was hoping someone would bring this up - I will say this.. I don't think The Muppets should've been sold to Disney, at any point. Jim was ever weary of the deal in 89/90, and I think the things he was worried about still hold up just as well today... gotta say, I'm with Steve on this one.. sounds as if the Henson kids don't know all the details, and are basing opinions on the little they know (Kermit's character direction seems to be within the material, as when Steve portrayed Kermit in interviews and off-screen, he was what I imagine Kermit to be; a bit of a joker, but friendly and cares for those who work with him.. could say the same for Jim).. I guess I'm sorta doing the same thing, basing my opinion off of random details, but that's what fans do best, I suppose. :stick_out_tongue:

The futures not ours to see. que sera, sera.. might've gotten some of those words wrong, lol.
thank you ! i thought that i was the only one who thought that, Disney being so darn money hungry, went on and brought a franchise, that they really don't know how to handle, and now since it's blowing up in their faces, they go and blame and the fire the one puppeteer, who has the most knowledge of the main character of that franchise, way to go Disney, for pulling a stunt like this.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
thank you ! i thought that i was the only one who thought that, Disney being so darn money hungry, went on and brought a franchise, that they really don't know how to handle, and now since it's blowing up in their faces, they go and blame and the fire the one puppeteer, who has the most knowledge of the main character of that franchise, way to go Disney, for pulling a stunt like this.
But here's the thing...does anyone honestly think the Henson company or...whatever the heck that German company was called, could have done a better job? Does anyone actually believe the Hensons would have had the ability to put out two features, a TV show, a few TV specials and several award winning YouTube videos? Disney at least tried to get these characters out there in commercials and other projects. The Henson's barely seem capable of getting ANYTHING off the ground. Why are people begrunding them for selling to Disney when Disney, for all its faults, made a commitment to bring back and recast as many characters as they could and put out as many projects as they did in spite of a mainstream audience that didn't seem all that enthused? Under Disney, we've seen things we thought we'd never see back in the '90s and early 2000s.

All the great things we do have now; Electric Mayhem concerts, Muppets leading the Thanksgiving parade, a Hollywood Bowl concert, a truly successful feature, the full-blown return of Rowlf, Scooter and Janice, the resurrection of Uncle Deadly...all this happened under Disney's watch.

Yet they fire Steve Whitmire for reasons that seem entirely justified and now they're the bad guy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gus, Gus, oh mighty Gus,
King of all the playground!

Gus, Gus, oh shiny Gus,
We're glad such a great king we've found!

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
actually that was when Bernie Brillstein was Negotiating with the Purina Company for Rowlf until Jim Stepped in. and Second that was back when His company consisted of a small number of people. around 1989 however as Frank Oz put it "He had a Company of over 300 people" with the Company in New York as well as the Creature shop in London, the Business Finances was starting to sap the creative Energy.
Thanks for clearing that up.