Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ehhh, OK, I half see Cheryl's point. Steve's Kermit is very different from Jim, more snarky, etc, and I haven't always felt it was right. But that's not all on him, that's on the Henson company and Disney as well, for how they chose to write the character in the '90s and 2000's. But I can certainly sympathize with her, it's probably not been easy watching someone else play her father's character.

But that's probably completely separate from the Disney firing. That's probably Disney looking for someone to blame after the last two bombs.

But the end of the day, I can't really "side with" or "blame" either of them. The death of a leader has huge repercussions, even for years after. They're all just people trying to do their best in life.

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
You guys realize you've already racked up thirty some pages in what, a week? :stick_out_tongue:

I've never really been highly researched with the behind the scenes aspect of the Muppets, but reading everyone's thoughts on here and elsewhere on the internet, I do feel sorry for Steve and angry at Disney, but also left wondering about what really happened to cause all this. We know they said he was stirring up trouble in the studio and now the Hensons are ticked at him, I'd just like know what the heck the guy did. (Or did I miss that information in the thirty pages of this thread?)

But at the end of the day, I just have one question to ask. Not sure if anyone else has already, but I'm really curious to know what you guys' answers would be:

What would Jim himself say about all this?

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
every one of Henson's kids have come out and said the guy was a control freak who thought he owned Kermit and the Muppets Henson's daughter even said he is making stuff up Jim never gave him the Job His son did I am guessing Brian Henson. I am inclined to side With Jim Henson's kids over Whitmire.
I take it you have never worked in television or entertainment.

This is a pretty basic smear campaign. Think about it. If you are an underdog company like Henson, what would you do? Side with an employee, or a potential collaborator and employer with billions of dollars? It's no secret that the Henson Company is a sinking ship. Of course they're not going to take Whitmire's side.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I also have to wonder something else. Was somebody trying to set up Steve so they would fire him? I never worked in television, but that happened to me.

Carpeteria

Reaction score
I doubt there's anything conspiratorial going on here, but just bottom line business practices. Like it or leave it, it's the way things work in the entertainment world, and often times it can result in unfortunate things like this.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I also have to wonder something else. Was somebody trying to set up Steve so they would fire him? I never worked in television, but that happened to me.
It's possible. Television is a pain to work in. I would know, for that's what I majored in in college.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
It always takes a while for us to get used to the recasts, but the thing of it is, after quite a bit of time passes, you do get used to it. Took me a few years to get used to Eric's Grover, Bert, and Fozzie, and David's Cookie, but now I'm so used to them that it seems unusual to hear Frank's versions now.

Matt's Count isn't Jerry's Count, that's true, but I've just accepted the fact that Jerry is sadly no longer with us, and Jerry's voice was truly a unique one, so nobody is going to sound just like him. Still, I think Matt has done a great job with Jerry's characters so found.

As for David as Scooter, admittedly, David's vocal range is rather limited, and most of his voices sound like a variation of Baby Bear - that's kind of what Scooter sounds like right now, Baby Bear without the speech impediment.
i think that David's voice for scooter fits scooter, and i think that he is doing a good job with scooter, as for Matt as Kermit, i will give it a chance. BTW, it really puzzles me, that waited so long to do this to Steve, and I'm very shocked that the Henson's said what they said.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I am still on team Steve he has been with those characters for 38 years and nobody knows them best apart from him and Dave goelz
I side with Jim's Kids and Disney. Nobody Is above the Company when you work for a Studio or Company you have to listen to your boss that is just the way it is and It Is fair Business practices.