Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I do wish Steve and Matt well. I really do.

That said, I've having trouble caring about the direction Disney will be taking this franchise in the future. I haven't been too keen on really anything they've done in the past few years and it's become very clear now that what they want for the characters is something very different than what Steve thought was best, or what Jim would have wanted. The more the original core Muppeteers have passed on, retired or, in this case, have been fired, the more the soul of the Muppets has faded. I'm kind of at the point where I don't really care what their future is, because the IP sucking black hole that is the Disney Company (IMHO) hasn't done right by them in the past decade or so. One feature that was financially and critically successful, sure. But another that bombed and a TV show that had to be retooled thanks to low ratings and ended up cancelled anyway.

And of course, the Muppet presence in the theme parks has been de-themed to the extent that the closure and replacement of both Muppetvision and Pizza-Rizzo could be done in a weekend. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if this is why Muppetvision is in the state it's in (the fountain becoming a planter, simplistic signage, the removal of the balloon) so that the turnaround time to make it something else entirely would be fast and cheap.

To Disney, the Muppets are nothing compared to Mickey and Friends, the Princesses, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars. Do you really think they care if people are upset that they canned Whitmere and plan to go in a new direction.

Dark times are a-comin' kids.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Do you really think they care if people are upset that they canned Whitmere and plan to go in a new direction.
I know I don't. Corporate big-wigs rarely (if ever) listen to John Q. Public. (just don't go blame Mickey Mouse, he's just a fictional character. Yes I know that sounds really dumb, but there are people out there who *do* blame the mouse when Disney does things they don't like, and Mickey is my sister's favorite character).

CBPuppets

Reaction score
And of course, the Muppet presence in the theme parks has been de-themed to the extent that the closure and replacement of both Muppetvision and Pizza-Rizzo could be done in a weekend. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if this is why Muppetvision is in the state it's in (the fountain becoming a planter, simplistic signage, the removal of the balloon) so that the turnaround time to make it something else entirely would be fast and cheap.
I highly doubt they would get rid of Muppet Vision 3D. That's been around for a long time

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Too true. Again, the big-wigs just want money-money-money.
And this is why I've lost respect for Disney as a company, among other things besides some of the choices they've made with the muppets.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I do wish Steve and Matt well. I really do.

That said, I've having trouble caring about the direction Disney will be taking this franchise in the future. I haven't been too keen on really anything they've done in the past few years and it's become very clear now that what they want for the characters is something very different than what Steve thought was best, or what Jim would have wanted. The more the original core Muppeteers have passed on, retired or, in this case, have been fired, the more the soul of the Muppets has faded. I'm kind of at the point where I don't really care what their future is, because the IP sucking black hole that is the Disney Company (IMHO) hasn't done right by them in the past decade or so. One feature that was financially and critically successful, sure. But another that bombed and a TV show that had to be retooled thanks to low ratings and ended up cancelled anyway.

To Disney, the Muppets are nothing compared to Mickey and Friends, the Princesses, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars. Do you really think they care if people are upset that they canned Whitmere and plan to go in a new direction.

Dark times are a-comin' kids.
Dark times are already here. The Muppets failed in theaters and on the small screen. We won't be getting much (if anything) aside from 5 second youtube videos that aren't funny or entertaining.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Dark times are already here. The Muppets failed in theaters and on the small screen. We won't be getting much (if anything) aside from 5 second youtube videos that aren't funny or entertaining.
I would not call these dark times just yet. Fans are slowly beginning to see what Steve has been trying to do for the Muppets for years. If anything good can come from this it is that, and that fans are now becomeing aware of the battle the Muppets are having.
In the end this is going to unite the fans, and when we become more United we will be stronger for the Muppets.