1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GonzoMan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Jim never had the heart to fire people, even when others like David Lazer thought he should; he couldn't face them again afterward if he did. Apparently the only employee Jim actually fired himself was Diana Birkenfield, because she often drug him into heated arguments over things she felt were a waste of his time and talent.

Muppet Master and scooterfan360 like this.
  2. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Ehhh, well being a bit of a hard a** teacher is not the same as being difficult in contract negotiations. That's a whole other animal and companies ultimately care about that more.

MrBloogarFoobly likes this.
  3. D'Snowth

At least Stephen Colbert is having fun with all of this:

Even Seth Meyers managed to get off a hilarious zinger regarding Steve's termination over his business conduct: "Apparently, and this is shocking, he put his hand up a co-worker's butt. . . . Not Kermit's."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  4. BobbyBenson64

BobbyBenson64 Well-Known Member

Weren't we supposed to have seen Matts Kermit by now?

scooterfan360 likes this.
  5. D'Snowth

Tomorrow.

scooterfan360 and BobbyBenson64 like this.
  6. BobbyBenson64

BobbyBenson64 Well-Known Member

Oh ok :)

7. me myself i

me myself i New Member

I'd like to know what the other performers think, especially Dave, but I doubt we'll ever know. Talk about being in a tough spot either way.

I really wish Henson had gone with a simple 'split due to creative differences' and left it at that. Maybe boring and cryptic but at least there would have been some dignity. Taking a swipe at Steve with that 'unacceptable business practices' comment was just asking for trouble, imo. Of course, it was going to get ugly. How could they not see that coming?

I used to watch behind the scene stuff with the Muppets and thought it looked like such fun, a real dream job. And how Jim Henson said he created Fraggle Rock to promote world peace was so admirable, but now to find out that they all secretly hated each other is just so sad.

I wish I could go back to not knowing any of this. I have a horrible feeling it's always going to color how I see the Muppets from now on. Such a bummer.

8. CensoredAlso

That's going a bit far. People argue sometimes. Especially about things they care about. That's not the opposite of peace.

MuppetsRule and scooterfan360 like this.
  9. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

i think i will purchase the Jim Henson bio.

10. HJL1

HJL1 Member

Who is performing Kermit here ?

Powerstars and scooterfan360 like this.
  11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Rick Lyon.

12. HJL1

HJL1 Member

I've actually been responding all over on other people's posts. It's unfortunate that it was all played out so publicly. I don't think anybody handled it particularly well. It's no secret that I never felt Steve was the right choice for the role - he's just not good enough an actor. His professional behavior - his combative contract negotiations, for example - has been well-known to his peers for many years. His sense of entitlement and ownership to the character of Kermit has always struck me as self-serving and misguided, and his repeated insistence that Jim entrusted Kermit to him has always been completely untrue. Does he suck at Kermit? No. Is he great at Kermit? Also no. And he has thrown his fellow puppeteers under the bus many times, blackballing people - like me - who he saw as threats. So, I am not sad to see him go. What I really want to do is send him a message that says, "So, now you know how I feel. Hurts, doesn't it?"

- Rick Lyon posted this on FB. Interesting.

Beaker <3, gavry3 and scooterfan360 like this.
  13. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Ya, I don't think he really performed with Steve outside of MCC. Maybe that's part of the reason why he left the muppets.

14. D'Snowth

I hate to say this at this point, but my opinions of this entire situation are beginning to shift: more and more people within the Muppets coming forward and saying the same things about Steve, his behavior, and his conduct . . . it has to make you think there has to be some truth to this, and perhaps maybe Steve isn't being entirely honest; again, everybody else is saying the same thing, but he's saying something different. . . .

I don't want to suggest that Steve is perhaps lying about all of this, but as I said, I can't help but wonder if he's not being entirely honest.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  15. CBPuppets

CBPuppets Well-Known Member

Rick Lyon really does a Mean Kermit Here!

16. D'Snowth

THE TALK (Sara Gilbert and CBS's liberal rip-off of THE VIEW, which nobody watches anymore anyway) weighed in on this debocal today, even sharing quotes from both Cheryl and Brian Henson about all of this. They felt as though Steve probably should have some say in how he feels Kermit as a character should be written or directed for, but they also addressed a sad truth I previously pointed out, that if you're in show business and you get too picky and complainy about things, you can be shown the door. They also offered the possibility that Steve's concerns and notes and such may not have been in the wrong, but that perhaps his approach may have been too abrasive and aggressive that it sent the wrong message.

17. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

You definitely should, it's fantastic and gives a great insight on Henson's life and what went on behind the scenes.

18. CBPuppets

CBPuppets Well-Known Member

I got that for Christmas, I couldn't put it down the moment I started reading it

scooterfan360 and LaRanaRene like this.
  19. CensoredAlso

They are spot on. Like I said before, you can give your opinion at work, but at some point you either play ball, or you have to resign, or you're asked to leave.

D'Snowth likes this.
  20. rocketdave

rocketdave Member

I'm bad at staying abreast of the news, Muppet related or otherwise, so I actually found out about all this via that first Colbert sketch. I guess it's the sort of thing that's easy to make jokes about, but it kind of struck me as being a little cruel of Stephen Colbert to make light of this situation, particularly considering that Kermit made an appearance on his show a year ago.

True, Colbert ruthlessly mocks another former guest of his on a nightly basis and it's one of the reasons I love him, but I don't think I'm being hypocritical. After all, it's one thing to make fun of one of someone who is currently one of the most powerful people in the world and another to joke about a puppeteer who just got fired. I dunno, maybe Whitmire even left a poor impression on Stephen during their brief time together?

When I first heard about this, I was pretty upset. It's sometimes been tough for me to maintain an upbeat attitude about the Muppets since the ABC series (which I was mostly enjoying) got the axe last year and this felt like one more thing to dim my enthusiasm. I still feel bad for Steve, but having read the comments by the Hensons, etc., I have to admit that it's probably a little less black and white than a case of the big heartless corporation picking on the poor performer who just wants to entertain the nice people. It's unfortunate that something like this is what it took for me to come out of the woodwork and comment on this forum.

Powerstars likes this.