Songs where we're more familiar with covers than the originals

AquaGGR

Reaction score
A sort of interesting case is "Video Killed the Radio Star." While the song was written by The Buggles, but it was first recorded by co-writer Bruce Woolley.

I remember someone remarked that this version is probably less popular because it lacks those backup singers. The song loses a ton without them.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
A sort of interesting case is "Video Killed the Radio Star." While the song was written by The Buggles, but it was first recorded by co-writer Bruce Woolley.

I remember someone remarked that this version is probably less popular because it lacks those backup singers. The song loses a ton without them.
I think I actually like this version better. It has more nuance.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I hate bumping old threads (not like anyone’s gonna be notified about this anyway), but about a week ago, I found this while looking for Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne on YouTube:
This is the original version of the song, sung by little-known Canadian artist Louisa Florio. Strangely, it was released the exact same year as Danye’s more well-known version, but earlier in it.
I may or may not be making my own parody version in the future…

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How have I not even seen this thread before?! One of the most prominent examples I can even think of is "You're No Good," because for many ages and moons, I was only familiar with Linda Ronstadt's version from the 70s, and thinking that was an original, but recently come to learn that it was actually a cover of the song from the 60s by Dee Dee Warwick.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, and another one: I never knew that "Bad Reputation" by Halfcocked heard in SHREK was a cover - I never even knew about the original version by Joan Jett, but then again, Joan, like so many others, seems to often be treated more like a one-hit wonder, in spite of her vast discography of singles and albums - "I Love Rock n Roll" is just about the only song of hers I ever hear.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
To each their own. I was always way more familiar with Jett’s “Bad Reputation”. In fact, until you said otherwise, I thought it was the one in Shrek.
On top of that, “I Love Rock n Roll” itself is a cover. It was originally sung by the Arrows.

datman24

Reaction score
Do Wah Diddy (originally recorded by The Exciters prior to the more famous Manfred Mann cover).
I’ve Got My Mind Set On You (originally recorded in 1962 by James Ray).
Mickey (originally recorded by the British pop group, Racey, before Toni Basil made it her signature song two years later).

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Tiffany’s big hit “I Think We’re Alone Now” was originally recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells over 20 years prior.
Strangely, though, I heard the Shondells’ version years before I listened to Tiffany’s in full.