Songs where we're more familiar with covers than the originals

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Do Wah Diddy (originally recorded by The Exciters prior to the more famous Manfred Mann cover).
I’ve Got My Mind Set On You (originally recorded in 1962 by James Ray).
Mickey (originally recorded by the British pop group, Racey, before Toni Basil made it her signature song two years later).
Okay, I had no idea those were covers as well; live and learn.
Tiffany’s big hit “I Think We’re Alone Now” was originally recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells over 20 years prior.
Strangely, though, I heard the Shondells’ version years before I listened to Tiffany’s in full.
Now that I knew, in fact, I think I mentioned elsewhere on this forum that it seems like a majority of Tiffany's discography is basically covers of older songs from the 60s and such, with only slightly different lyrics to make them from a female's perspective instead of a male's, such as The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" which she covered as "I Saw Him Standing There."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Big Yellow Taxi." I've long enjoyed Counting Crows' version of this song, but I had no idea until just recently that it too was a cover, the original being by Joni Mitchell from the very early 70s. Honestly, I still like Counting Crows' version better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I cannot believe I had no idea "With a Little Help From my Friends" was originated by The Beatles! I've never even heard their version before, I've just always heard Joe Cocker's version, and I've always associated that song with him. Those harmonious backing vocals, though.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
That’s the same reaction I had when I found out Credence Clearwater Revival sang “Proud Mary” before Tina Turner did.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That I already knew, but then again, CCR is pretty big down here in the south, so their version is far more common down here than Ike and Tina Turner's cover.