Some studio news for Greatest Muppet Movie

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Ah! For once, my tireless optimism yielded positive results! (^Ironically, a negative statement)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well.. that's different. The Dawson thing in MFS was pure crap, as the show was pure crap. And the NBC sitcom references in VMX were their purely for commercial. But we have a film made by people involved with those 2 other productions. And something tells me they'd build a Kevin Smith Clerk's style of movie continuity... like a whole universe of films connected to each other. As long as they keep references to those other films in their movies, they have an entire world at their disposal. I see what you mean, it would be dated if they didn't continue this, though. But if they do, think about it. A Muppet movie being part of a series of slightly interconnected, related films? That would be really something.
I'll agree here. Swingers is at least a relevant indie picture that people remember and its themes and characters are timeless and iconic. I don't think that the same could be said for Hulk Hogan or Dawson's Creek. Not having Hogan is better than his inclusion in any form. I think a Sarah Marshall cameo could work if it's understated and stands on its own without needing prior knowledge of the character.

I'm sure the writers have it all worked out. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Well.. that's different. The Dawson thing in MFS was pure crap, as the show was pure crap. And the NBC sitcom references in VMX were their purely for commercial. But we have a film made by people involved with those 2 other productions. And something tells me they'd build a Kevin Smith Clerk's style of movie continuity... like a whole universe of films connected to each other. As long as they keep references to those other films in their movies, they have an entire world at their disposal. I see what you mean, it would be dated if they didn't continue this, though. But if they do, think about it. A Muppet movie being part of a series of slightly interconnected, related films? That would be really something.
It just wouldn't make sense. The fun is when the Muppets take place in the real world. Shoot, Im a rabid Big Bang Theory fan but would be taken out of the element if "Sheldon Cooper" made a cameo rather than Jim Parsons as himself or playing another character. I think if they had cameos by Jonah Hill or Russel Brand, that in of itself would be a bit of a nod.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It just wouldn't make sense. The fun is when the Muppets take place in the real world. Shoot, Im a rabid Big Bang Theory fan but would be taken out of the element if "Sheldon Cooper" made a cameo rather than Jim Parsons as himself or playing another character. I think if they had cameos by Jonah Hill or Russel Brand, that in of itself would be a bit of a nod.
The stars in TMM played off their iconic cinematic persona rather than their name recognition. Steve Martin was pretty much The Jerk and not himself. That sort of thing continued for Madeline Kahn, Mel Brooks, Telly Savalas among others. I don't know. I just guess that's how I always saw it. Sarah Marhsall would make perfect sense to me.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oh, sweet. What nice news to find after coming home from Dragon*Con!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The stars in TMM played off their iconic cinematic persona rather than their name recognition. Steve Martin was pretty much The Jerk and not himself. That sort of thing continued for Madeline Kahn, Mel Brooks, Telly Savalas among others. I don't know. I just guess that's how I always saw it. Sarah Marhsall would make perfect sense to me.
That only really makes sense in my logic since they're basically the same people involved with both projects.

Though, for it to really work, they'd have to have the same characters referenced or cameo'd in several more movies. So it really would depend on what their vision is and if they wanted to mention any of their other movies as an aside for the adults or not. They don't have to, of course...

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yay! I can't believe this movie is actually happening... this month no less. If I had an agent and actually lived in LA I'd audition for this movie in a heartbeat. I wonder, if this movie ends filming in November, what are the chances we'll get a teaser with Tangled or Tron: Legacy?