Sesame Workshop Sues STX Films over Happytime Murders Trailer

D'Snowth

Reaction score
honestly...i understand the concern. people seem to be ignoring this bit

The fear is dumb parents will see the tagline and think its related to sesame street. Though my argument is people will see the puppets and think its a family friendly movie regardless. Because to most people, puppets=sesame street
I see it both ways. I can see this is clearly SW's concern, and this could very well be like what happened with SAUSAGE PARTY with dumb parents taking their kids to see what they assume to be a family-friendly CGI movie.

On the other hand, I can see why some people feel this lawsuit isn't going to help SW's case, and instead, will only generate more hype and interest in the movie . . . that's how Billy Graham unwittingly helped put Sid & Marty Kroffts' marionette burlesque show an overnight hit by telling people not to see their show, "because the women don't wear bras" (without specifying the "women" were marionettes).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
On the other hand, I can see why some people feel this lawsuit isn't going to help SW's case, and instead, will only generate more hype and interest in the movie . . .
Well that too. Negative publicity is just as strong as positive publicity. But to be honest this is the first time I'm hearing of this movie so I wonder just how much publicity this is gonna give it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But to be honest this is the first time I'm hearing of this movie
Well, you have been in and out of the fandom off and on for a while, because they've been talking about this movie for a number of years.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well, you have been in and out of the fandom off and on for a while, because they've been talking about this movie for a number of years.
you need to look at it from a 'not in the fandom' standpoint. How much will the general public know about this. How much will people who aren't puppet fans even care

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How much will the general public know about this.
I think that's pretty much the main reason they brought in Melissa McCarthy to play the human lead: even though there's a pool of far more talented, more funny, more likable, and more timeless actresses, they went with someone who's clearly "flavor of the month" and relevant now to lure in audiences (which is ironic, because this is the argument Brian and John made when Jim was considering Sting for Jareth in LABYRINTH, but they said he was "now" while David Bowie was "forever").
How much will people who aren't puppet fans even care
And I think that's part of the reason why they decided to go into the R-rated, raunchy and vulgar comedy direction with the movie; the other part being they want to further prove that puppets can be for adults and not just kids.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i have no idea who melissa mccarthy is

i really must be living under a rock

D'Snowth

Reaction score
She's pretty much this generation's female Drew Carey.

I'm pretty sure the only reason she even has a career is because her more famous cousin Jenny was a former Playboy bunny, nude model, and probably slept around with a lot of Hollywood bigwigs for her to get her work. That's just my theory, of course. :stick_out_tongue: