Sesame Workshop Sues STX Films over Happytime Murders Trailer

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless Sesame Workshop appeals, it looks like this is over...

Judge rules against 'Sesame Street' makers in suit against Melissa McCarthy puppet film

A New York judge has ruled against the makers of Sesame Street in a dispute with the distributor of the upcoming Melissa McCarthy movie, The Happytime Murders, according to The Associated Press.

U.S. District Judge Vernon Broderick ruled Wednesday that distributor STX Productions can continue to use the tagline "No sesame. All street" in promoting the R-rated film, which features Muppet-like puppets in a comedic crime story.

Sesame Workshop sued last week, seeking to end the inclusion of the tagline in promotional materials ahead of the film's Aug. 17 release. The company argued the public would be confused and think the movie was supported by Sesame Street.

The judge heard oral arguments before issuing his ruling. He says Sesame Workshop didn't demonstrate that moviegoers were confused or that sponsors or parents were complaining.

McCarthy's movie features the comedian as a human detective investigating grisly puppet murders with a puppet detective.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...suit-against-melissa-mccarthy-film/658268002/

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I did think there would be some kind of trademark or copywrite issue. Then I realized that was not what the suit was about. When I think about it the tagline was meant to show that this had nothing to do with confusing kids but more like a warning that this is not for kids.