Sesame Street censorship

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's basically the same, or similar demographic. Just kids who are a little bit older, and are just learning to read. But the point I was making is that they can actually handle such humor and they know that most kids know the boundaries between fiction and nonfiction. The SS people (child Psycologists) really want to dumb everything down...

BlueAM

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
The "Fisherman Song" sequence with Judy Collins appears to be edited. After the 2nd chorus, the camera pans across the dancing crowd, and that pan is repeated again, indicating that something has been omitted. Also, listen closely to the dialogue during the bridge: it sounds like they censored a joke that ends with "he cut off his nose!"

Has anyone seen this unedited? Please let me know.
I'm wondering if there were any Muppets in that skit. I'm guessing AMs, so I want to know what they look like. If this is true, please include what AMs they were, what clothes they wore, what their noses were like, what hair they had, etc. You see, I'm helping The Count with his list and I was thinking of including these characters IF they were Muppets. Thanks!

BlueAM

wiley207

Reaction score
Clean Gultch said:
Ive heard that Everybody Eats originally had a black kid eating a watermelon. When they air it now it is cut out. Yet they still leave in an Asian person eating with chopsticks.
Does anybody remember the skit "Everybody Sleeps?" Well, I do. At the end, there was this cool train sequence, where this freight train was rolling down the tracks at night. If I'm not mistaken, it was pulled by a black GE E33 locomotive, which looks like a diesel freight engine, but runs on electricity with a pantograph on top (for the overhead wires, kinda like the Acela.) It rolls by a train station with people sleeping. Do they still air that skit? And when did it debut?

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
somethingofafan said:
That's because Sesame Street's target audience is very young children, while the other Muppets skew, in theory at least, to an adult audience.

And besides, Big Bird did say the word that means "to mend socks" on last season's Journey to Ernie segments.
and what would that word be

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
they editted "republican" cuz it might offend, erm, 'non-republicans'

Censored

Reaction score
punkNpuppets said:
they editted "republican" cuz it might offend, erm, 'non-republicans'

If you're referring to the line in the "Sing Along" video that I mentioned earlier, it wasn't edited out; it was edited in when the musical street scenes were put on video. Biff calling himself a Republican takes the place of the letter and number of the day being announced. I can only guess that the choice of words was some kind of inside joke.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
ah i see. well i must say, i have a huge problem with people who are afraid to mention diff religions,political parties, etc. like when i met Nikki Tilroe on school career day, she was talking about how she was working on Lamb Chops and there was this "medievel" like song, and it showed kids in medievel clothes, one of which had a cross on the shield. sherry kept bugging nikki, like, "should i keep or should i get rid of it? i dont wanna offend ppl but i..bla bla...yada yada.." WELL, she ended up keeping the cross and there was no complaints from anyone. people need to stop being ridiculous. theres also that whole "wrong to say merry christmas" thing. who does that offend? the vast majority of ppl in america think that "theory" is extremley dumb! well i should stop, cuz i can go on forever about how i hate how ppl are too PC

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, there are some things that are too PC... ya can't say Merry Christmas? That is pretty (as they say) "Wak"

Do they say something like, "Have a joyful holiday season depending on if you celebrate any religious denominational holiday whatsoever."

>>And besides, Big Bird did say the word that means "to mend socks" on last season's Journey to Ernie segments.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

and what would that word be<<

Darn.

Censored

Reaction score
I'm not PC. HAPPY HANUKKAH to everyone on this list!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
ssetta said:
And also, there is this Ernie & Bert sketch, probably from the 1st season, in The Sesame Street Story Book. I am assuming that it was on the show, but I'm not sure, here it is:

"BERT Presents The Number 5"

(We see Ernie sleeping in a chair, as Bert walks into the room.)
B: Wake up, Ernie. You're supposed to learn something.
E: I did learn something. I learned that you won't let me take a nap.
B: (holds up number 5) Don't be funny. What's this I'm holding up?
E: Uh...a banana cream pie?
B: NO, you meatball! Guess again.
E: I know! It's a CHOCOLATE cream pie!
B: (holds up chocolate cream pie in his other hand) Look, birdbrain. If this number 5 is a chocolate cream pie, then what's this in my other hand?
E: It's a number 5.
(Bert throws pie, and it dumps on Ernie's head)
E: I knew what it really was...but who wants to get hit with a number 5? Yum.

Maybe it would be better if they edited out the part with Bert throwing the pie. Anyway, was this ever on the show?
This may be off the topic of this thread, but I just got this clip in Spanish, courtesy of our Joggy (thanks man!). Only the number was 4. I knew instantly what the sketch was about when I saw the pie. :wink: