Sesame Street censorship

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Here’s how those sketches went.

The first skit happened in the late 70s. Olivia saw that Big Bird was running away. Big Bird explained why. David had to leave and said that Big Bird could fix his own breakfast. But Big Bird accidentally spilled the milk and birdseed on the table and broke a glass. He was worried that David would kill him. But Olivia suggested they go back inside and clean up the mess before David gets back. And that’s what they did. David came back and was now going to fix Big Bird’s breakfast. But David ended up spilling some milk and birdseed and laughed about it. Big Bird calmly said, “Oh David. Everyone makes mistakes. But that’s no reason to run away.” David had no idea what Big Bird meant.

The second skit was around the late 70s too. Bert was in the park singing a marching song with Simon Soundman, Muppet Willy, and Farley marching behind him. But then Bert was interrupted by Ernie’s drumming. Ernie and Bert started arguing while Ernie continued banging. Then Olivia came in and tried to get them to cooperate. She told Bert to start, and told Ernie, “Don’t start before I kill you!” for Ernie was getting wild on those drums. And Ernie and Bert ended up singing a marching and drumming song. And Olivia left in satisfaction.
Maybe you misheard it. Maybe what she said was "Don't start before I cue you." I really don't think Olivia would give :stick_out_tongue: a murder threat.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Count's used the "k" word a couple of times, too. ("The suspense is killing me!")

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
The Count's used the "k" word a couple of times, too. ("The suspense is killing me!")
Well, I can understand using the word 'kill' in that context. I just find it hard to believe, somebody on Sesame Street would say 'I'll kill you.' I'm not saying I don't believe you guys or anything like that. I just find it surprising that they would say that one a kid's show.

SesameMike

Reaction score
There was an animated segment in which a kangaroo is repeatedly pulling letter K's out of her pouch and demonstrating K-words. I think one was "kick", as she kicked the letter out of range. One word was actually "kill", in which she put her foot on the top of the K's riser and made a "snfffff" sound. I must say that confused me. Anyway, the marsupial concluded with some advice "...for all you kangaroos out there. Don't keep Ks in your pouch. They scratch!"

And I do remember the "Shut up!" line. In Kermit's "News Flash" of the story of Rapunzel, the prince called out "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair". She kept replying "My WHAT?", causing to prince to angrily yell "YOUR HAIR". Finally she understood, and Rapunzel's extra-long wig fell right off. The prince then realized his horse ran off and he started bawling. He yelled "SHUT UP" to whatever Rapunzel said after that. I think that line was partially masked by Kermit's "regularly scheduled programming" shpiel, and it could very well be that the line was ad-libbed.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
There was an animated segment in which a kangaroo is repeatedly pulling letter K's out of her pouch and demonstrating K-words. I think one was "kick", as she kicked the letter out of range. One word was actually "kill", in which she put her foot on the top of the K's riser and made a "snfffff" sound. I must say that confused me. Anyway, the marsupial concluded with some advice "...for all you kangaroos out there. Don't keep Ks in your pouch. They scratch!"
I've got that cartoon; she doesn't say it, but does say "kilt".

Censored

Reaction score
The word "kill" was in one of the Sesame Street dictionaries. It was defined as "To make something stop living." The example was the killing of some kind of bug.

Xerus

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Maybe you misheard it. Maybe what she said was "Don't start before I cue you." I really don't think Olivia would give :stick_out_tongue: a murder threat.
I thought all those years ago, Olivia said, kill, in that skit. So maybe it might've been, cue. I might've been wrong.

But I do remember Big Bird saying, "David's gonna kill me!" in that spilled milk skit.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Are you serious? I don't recall anybody ever saying 'kill' on Sesame Street, especially David, the kindly shopkeeper.
Considering that people took "I'm gonna kill you" a lot less literally when I was a girl, it wouldn't surprise me if a character occasionally said that in older Sesame Street clips. With children actually killing people these days, I can't blame Sesame Workshop for censoring violence (or threats of violence) when they recycle those bits.