Segments that were possibly taped on the same day

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think we've ever had a thread like this before... One that disucsses segments that could have and probably were made on the same day. This is probably true about many inserts using recurring sketches and sets... The performers and puppets are already there, and the sets are already set-up, and the characters are in the right costumes, so that'd make sense.

It seems like many sketches featuring children were doen on the same day, evident by how the kids dress and the backgrounds. Most of John-John's segments that we know about were probably taped on the same day, considering that most of them show John-John in the same red (or is it orange?) shirt, the same blue background, and they feature John-John interracting with characters performed by either Frank Oz or Jerry Nelson (mainly Bert, Grover, and Herry... and one featured both Bert and Sherlock). It's been said that John-John has been a regular kid visitor, but I don't know of many John-John inserts using different sets or with him in different outfits. I know he appeared on the street in the episode where Mr. Hooper studied for night school (though judging by the pictures at Muppet Wiki his outfit wasn't too different... Just a long-sleeved red shirt as opposed to a short-sleeved one). The 40th anniversary book also has an image of Kermit interviewing John-Jon outdoors, John-John dressed in winter clothes (I wonder if that one was made the same day as Kermit's interview with a girl about animal sounds).

I also feel convinced that Monsterpeice Theater: Me, Claudias, Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco, and We're All Monsters were mad eon the same day. All of the background monsters in me Lost Me Cookie were in either Me, Claudias or We're All Monsters (or both, in the case of Elmo and Harvey). Cookie Monster was in two of these mentioned sketches as well, and in both Me, Claudias and We'e All Monsters, Harvey and Elmo have the same performers. Sets and costumes would have had to be changed, and I don't know how long those changes would normally take (I often wonder how loing it normally takes to dress or change a puppets clothes). And all of those sketches are from season 11 (and I guess another sketch that would have been done the same day would have been the monsters singign "Near and Far", as that has the same mosnters and background as "We're All Monsters").

I would also expect both "Kermit News: Sleeping Beauty" sketches to have been filmed in the same day. They both had the same sets, and the same anything muppet designs for Prince Charming and Sleeping Beauty (though Prince Charming's facial expressions are somewhat different in both), and obviously they are both from the same season judging by the look of Kermit and his dark brown hat.

And obviously many celebrities who appeared in multiple isnerts in the same seasons did it all in one day. They were often on the same sets in the same outfits, and they wore different outfits if they returned in later seasons.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the segments featuring Prairie Dawn lecturing about the letter and number of the day with the help (sort of) of the Big Bad Wolf was taped the same day as the episode they were featured in (#3979, part four of the hurricane saga), as BBW is wearing his "Huff, Puff and Puff Construction" sweater in those segments that he was wearing during the street scenes, inspecting Big Bird's new doors.

JLG

Reaction score
There's a bunch of Muppet/kid segments on YouTube that were clearly shot on the same day, apparently in 1970 or '71. (It's still the grayish, flat-headed Cookie puppet) They all have the same brick wall and the same orange background, and they're shot from the exact same angle. One has Grover talking to a particularly sharp little kid named Brian, one has Cookie counting cookies backwards (as he gobbles them up one by one) with a girl, there's another one where Cookie's talking to David (a little black boy who appeared in a bunch of inserts around that time) and I can't think of the others at the moment.

In fact, it's possible those were also shot the same day as the skit where Cookie can't tell which of the three buildings in the distance say "School" because "Monster cannot read." Same orange background and same wall.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear 90% of season 40 was shot on the same day...

ducks...

ssetta

Reaction score
I can actually think of a LOT.

For once, there was this sketch with Cookie Monster looking at 3 buildings, and trying to figure out which one was the school. He went up to the building and pulled off the "school" sign so he could read it. There was another sketch with him and this kid reading the word "school" but it was the exact same sign!

I also think that Kermit's 1974 version of "Bein' Green", the sketch where he talks about the Horse & Cart with Grover, and "City/Country" song were all on the same day, since all 3 of those used part of that same set. Though I think that set was used a lot in other sketches, with the corn rows or whatever, and then the barn over on the other side.

I also noticed there were these 2 sketches from Season 9 that used the same set. One of them is the "G" song with a guy and a girl singing and dancing in the woods, and the other was the "Cookie Bunny" sketch with Ernie and Cookie Monster. They both had the same grass set with a few daffodils, and an orange sky in the background. I also remember a sketch with Kermit and Grover talking about the number 2, which featured the same AMs who sang the G song!

There was also the city street set that the "Born to Add" sketch took place on. It looked very similar to the 123 Sesame Street Brownstone, and I remember a sign that said "Sunny's Laundry." Super Grover and the Empty Box was shot there, the song "Take My Hand" was, and so were a lot of others.

Another thing to point out, is that I think a lot of the songs are recorded differently than when they film the sketch. I know that a lot of songs from Season 11 were recorded on 1/13/79. So that must have been a day that a lot of people were in the studio. And Chris Cerf wrote, and even sang on a lot of those songs (including "Born to Add"). Also recorded on that day were: "D Du-ah Du-ah", "The Dirtiest Town in the West," "Baby's Life", "You're Alive," and I'm sure there were others, but those are the ones I know about.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For once, there was this sketch with Cookie Monster looking at 3 buildings, and trying to figure out which one was the school. He went up to the building and pulled off the "school" sign so he could read it. There was another sketch with him and this kid reading the word "school" but it was the exact same sign!
I haven't seen those sketches, but I'd consider them an honarary two-part sketch, and I assume all parts of every multi-part sketch would have been shot on the same day.

ssetta

Reaction score
I haven't seen those sketches, but I'd consider them an honarary two-part sketch, and I assume all parts of every multi-part sketch would have been shot on the same day.
Good point. They actually WERE both seen in the same episode once; Episode 514, where Stevie Wonder visits the Street. It was on Unpaved.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
i don't know if this is from a segment or anything, but in the picture on the title page of chapter 3 of louise gikow's book, the whole cast is wearing the same clothes as they wear in What's the Name of That Song.

JLG

Reaction score
More Muppet/kid:
There are five or six sketches of Ernie and Bert in their apartment with Shola (Shola Lynch, who appeared in "20 Years and Counting" with Kermit and later became the director of the documentary "Chisolm '72). They were all clearly shot the same day.
Here's the best one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FHFUPkaqnA&feature=fvw

D'Snowth

Reaction score
i don't know if this is from a segment or anything, but in the picture on the title page of chapter 3 of louise gikow's book, the whole cast is wearing the same clothes as they wear in What's the Name of That Song.
I noticed it seems like for a period in the early and mid 80s that the cast wore the same outfits for multiple street scenes and inserts.