Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

theSHE124

Reaction score
I was singing as a cantor for my church this morning. And the music was rather difficult. I sat on the altar and I prayed for Jerry and I just sang my heart out this morning and hit notes confidently, even the ones I found difficult. One of the songs had a phrase that was about giving our sorrows and woes to God and I just struk a smile and kept singing confidently and proudly. I've been cantoring for three years now and never have I felt like as my faith states "I was praying two times over" other than today. I can't remember what blog it was but someone said that we should be silent but most of all we should sing.
I couldn't help but feel like there was a reason I should post this. Like we should all sing, sing a song! We shouldn't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing. Sing a song!
Everyone in our church could pick a Psalm to read today, and most people gave a little speak about what the Psalm meant to them. I really wanted to dedicate the one I read (Psalm 62) to Jerry Nelson, but didn't think that I would be able to even explain why, so just read it. But I was wearing a Muppet t-shirt, which I think counts for something. :search:
This morning at church the pastor was talking about Heaven and all I could think about was Jerry. It's just so hard to wrap my mind around the idea that he's gone. He was part of my childhood. He was just always there. And in a way he'll still be here, because he's part of all of us and we'll never forget him. But it won't be the same. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.
I know how you guys feel. :frown: I've been wondering lately if I'm putting my trust on Jesus or if I'm reacting too much to this circumstance. But there's no chance changing the past, so this will still work out showing Project Revision now, right? :cool:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
It's been far too long since I last posted here, but this news really rattled me.

It wasn't altogether unexpected news; after all, our time on this Earth is brief, but it was just such a gut-punch to hear. His characters were such a pivotal part of my childhood and beyond and I would have never realized just how his passing would effect me. Some of my earliest memories are of Gobo from Fraggle Rock and Robin in The Frog Prince. And who didn't learn to count with The Count?

There was just a certain quality to his voice that came through in both singing and acting. I have said before and will say again that Floyd Pepper's version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps and New York State of mind are my favorite versions of these songs. With every song and with every character, it was amazing how they could be so completely different, but you could still be able to say "Yeah, that's Jerry."

There was one moment in Fraggle Rock that always gets me, in Change of Address when Doc has moved away and everything is gone from the workshop, Gobo says with a lump in his throat that he won't feel like coming up to Outer Space anymore. It's moments like that that really stick with you. There was such a depth of tender emotion there and throughout so many of his roles. He was so capable of really silly characters and really thoughtful characters. And more often than not, it was silly and thoughtful combined.

He will be sorely missed and remembered fondly every time I watch his work or just feel like humming along to the songs he left behind. After all, memories like that really don't fade.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
It's been far too long since I last posted here, but this news really rattled me.
There was one moment in Fraggle Rock that always gets me, in Change of Address when Doc has moved away and everything is gone from the workshop, Gobo says with a lump in his throat that he won't feel like coming up to Outer Space anymore. It's moments like that that really stick with you. There was such a depth of tender emotion there and throughout so many of his roles. He was so capable of really silly characters and really thoughtful characters. And more often than not, it was silly and thoughtful combined.
As Jerry so quaintly put it as the Trash Heap "You cannot leave the magic"

RC1979

Reaction score
I had this weird dream where the count is now speechless without jerry nelson. And so is his other characters. And Robin comes up to the count and says "You too huh? I wish you had another performer to voice you." then some of nelson's characters come up and all the nelson characters start to fade away, even the ones performed by Matt Vogel today.

theSHE124

Reaction score
You guys are great at putting songs on here! including those from Trouo Daydreams.
Sure wish I had that CD. :dreamy:
...I heard there was a track there called 'In Memordium'. Can someone please put that track on here? It would be so memorable. :cry:
It's probably not the title. I might have been thinking 'Eye of the Storm'. That's the eulogy, right?