Political correctness has gone WAY TO FAR

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember seeing a film about Earth in the future. Where political correctness had completely taken over the world. The following things happened.

Nobody had any more gender names. People now go by numbers and everyone is named Number 1 so no one feels superior.

Everyone has declared themselves gods.

You can get thrown in jail for disagreeing with a woman.

You can no longer discipline naughty kids for kids and adults are now declared equals.

No one eats meat or vegetables anymore. They only eat unplanted seeds.

And all straight white males get executed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I remember the pilot episode of one of Sid & Marty Kroffts' weaker shows, THE LOST SAUCER, depicted a future earth where everybody had numbers instead of names, and everybody wore these body suits that made them look like Power Ranger knockoffs.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I remember the pilot episode of one of Sid & Marty Kroffts' weaker shows, THE LOST SAUCER, depicted a future earth where everybody had numbers instead of names, and everybody wore these body suits that made them look like Power Ranger knockoffs.
Yeah that idea of numbers instead of names has been around Science Fiction a long time, such as The Prisoner and Logan's Run, etc.

Censored

Reaction score
You can't call a fat lady fat, or heavy, for fear of hurting her feelings.
You can, but she might say something like, "I'm fat, but you're ugly and I can lose weight." Hardball can be played both ways.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As someone whose struggled with weight for over seventeen years, I can tell you from experience just what a big, fat (no pun intended) double standard it all is.

When you're fat, you're always a target for shame and ridicule, and there's all kinds of ridiculous stigmas that are applied to you: "Fat people are fat because they eat too much," "Fat people are fat because they're too lazy to exercize," what have you.

When it comes to skinny people, however, it's the exact opposite; there are stigmas applied to them as well, but those stigmas are a lot more sympathetic: you never know, the poor thing could be anorexic, or have some kind of disorder that prevents them from gaining weight, it's not their fault, so they shouldn't be shamed, and if you shame them, you're scum of the earth.

Yeah, well, the same can actually be true for fat people as well: not all fat people are fat because they eat too much, or are lazy - some of them are fat because of health problems as well, whether it's a thyroid condition, or genetics and family history, or they have a larger bone structure (part of my problem, I'm part Scotch/Irish and Cherokee, two historically buff and big-boned peoples), and just like the skinny people with their problems, sometimes the fat people can't help being fat.

Yes, it's possible to lose weight and gain weight, but it's not so easy for some people, and again, you never know what their circumstances are, so really, making fun of either of them isn't cool. But again, somehow, it's acceptable to make fun of fat people because they're always easy targets, but to make fun of skinny people is apparently the worst possible thing anybody can do.

Censored

Reaction score
When alt-right wingers whine about political correctness, they only think of the insults they want to tell others. It never occurs to them that political correctness might be the only thing stopping people from telling them what a mess they really are. But, forget political correctness; how does being rude to others fit with Christianity? I believe there is a quote for that: "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Earlier today F1 superstar Lewis Hamilton had to apologise for saying 'boys can't wear girls dresses' to his nephew who had gotten a princess dress for Christmas.Many people found this offensive but I see nothing wrong with it.Why.. because this is his opinion and since the world has become P.C nobody can have an opinion on anything without being told there wrong.

Another example of this is me in sociology class last year when my teacher said there are more than two genders.I disagreed to this statement by saying it's impossible to be either something other than male or female without having both sets of genitalia.I apparently wrong and was badly told other saying that I don't respect people's way of thinking.
I personally believe being P.C has gone WAY TO FAR
Thoughts
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS VS RUDENESS:
I understand your ire over PC arguments and it is a valid criticism sometimes, but it's now used as a license to be needlessly unkind to people. What I'm saying is being called out for not having manners is NOT the same as being attacked for being politically incorrect. Mean-spirited people, like Donald Trump, have popularized this practice. There's a difference between being politically incorrect and being a jerk like that athlete was to his nephew. He's not his father and has no business enforcing arbitrary guidelines. Even if this had been his son, psychiatrists will tell you that shaming someone like that will only serve to cause them needless pain and create more issues rather than neatly solving anything.

GENDER VS SEX:

There's a difference between the outward sex we were born and our gender. Much of the medical world supports this. Have you ever spoken to a trans person or someone who is gender-non-conforming? Before voicing strong opinions on something, it's best to go out and research it. That means talking to real people going through the very thing you are averse toward. When considering the issues of other minorities and people we don't understand, I suggest you share with them first and then do a whole lot of listening. You'll be surprised with what you find. That's not political correctness; it's basic humanity. We've lost that in recent years. Some people are born physically both sexes and some with other complications. Gender is a thing of the mind while sex is a thing of our outward shell. That is something that can often be medically measured. Our culture craves stark contrast that is just not part of the real world. Things are not black and white or shades of gray. Life is colorful and confusing. If we really are honest with ourselves, we all live within that spectrum.

STATING ONE'S BIAS DOES NOT FREE THEM FROM REBUTTAL:
It's one thing to state an opinion, but when you do, you've got to suck it up and expect that some people aren't going to like it. I came out as gay as a teenager while living in a deeply religious community in Houston, Texas. Many people had unsolicited opinions and reactions to me, but I sucked it up and learned all I could about LGBT history, the struggles and the lives of my peers, particularly those who were much older than I was. I always had honest and thought out ammunition. I rarely have an off the cuff opinion on anything. I think things through before I say them. If I disagree with someone, I don't try to shame them like that athlete did. That's what this really is about. It's mostly not about gender non-conformity. It's about shaming a child for something innocent in his developing years and posting it for the world to see. That's messed up. He should feel safe while he's at home. No matter how that kid feels about his gender growing up, that video is a permanent record of private moment.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH DOES NOT COVER FREEDOM FROM CONSEQUENCES:
Yeah, we can say what we like, and people can argue points with us, but that freedom comes with a cost. That guy is a professional athlete with many lucrative sponsorships. He represents those companies. That responsibility comes with morals clauses. The public has a right to not like his behavior and his sponsors have the right to pull his contracts if that behavior loses them money or makes them look bad. I'm sorry to hear that teacher shamed you in front of your class, but I think that kind of discussion is what that class was supposed to be about. Regardless of that, this earlier conflict you had seems to have further painted your opinion on matters. It's human nature to fight back when we feel attacked. It doesn't feel good. Imagine, if you will, growing up trans. That's a challenging life. You can't walk down the street without half the people staring at you and not knowing if their friend of foe. To actually come out as trans has been hard for every trans person I know. Having opinions on something that doesn't impact us personally is easy. Living authentically, honestly and out loud takes a lot of guts.

I'M NOT GOING TO SHAME YOU AND PROBABLY WON'T CHANGE YOUR OPINION AND THAT'S NOT THE PURPOSE OF MY RESPONSE HERE:

You asked for thoughts on this and that the thing I think you got right here. The rest, well you've heard how I feel. A lot of people feel that same way, but few of the people I know in my life who do, haven't spent much time with trans or gender-non-conforming people. That's not as much a criticism as a fact. Humans, by nature, are tribal. When people talk about black on black crime, well it's really the same as white on white crime. Most crime happens within one's communities and most of those still have many socially segregated constructs. That's been changing at a rapid rate over the last century and it's created much friction; but with friction comes progress. As someone who always felt different, I'm attracted to striking up conversations with people much different than I am because I know how icky it can feel to be different. That's kind of what I'm doing right now. Their stories and friendships have enriched my life in a way that just can't be measured.

peace

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When alt-right wingers whine about political correctness
Yes, but the overwhelming majority of people who are concerned about political correctness are not alt righters. And their pov on the matter is valid.

Here's an example, Viola Davis gave a speech at the Emmys about the challenges African American actresses face. Another actress, Nancy Lee Grahn, pointed out that it's not only African American actresses who have to struggle to make it and Davis should have stood up for women in general. Lee Grahn is a huge liberal, not some alt righter. But for that she was instantly shamed and attacked with pitch forks (as only the civilized media and social media can :coy:) and forced to apologize and give a more "PC" answer at gun point. Just for asking that Davis support all women. That didn't used to be an insult. Growing up, when I was taught about different types of people getting along, it was about everyone understanding and supporting each other. It was about what we had in common, and that despite our differences, we are the same. We all have qualities, and just as important, we all have faults. Now it's "this one group must always be quiet so this other group can speak." Now it's this grotesque argument over who is suffering more. THIS is what most people are talking about when they say political correctness has gone too far. It's not about bringing people together, it's not about learning, it's about who gets to control a narrative. And I know it's cliche, but a lot of this can be leveled at millennials. They haven't been taught how to debate with others. Worse, they've been taught to hate anything and everyone that isn't as militant and hardline as they are. The division in this country right now is dangerous. It's what led to Trump, and mark my words, it won't get any better once he's gone.

After the whole Davis/Lee Grahn scandal, you know what I did? I followed BOTH of them on Facebook. :smile: I won't be bullied into taking sides anymore.

Last edited: