Phil Robertson "Fired"

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Uggh...I'm not saying that it's right or wrong for him to be fired, but this all remind me of my friend at school. She claims not to be a homophobe, but says that she thinks a boy kissing a girl on the cheek is adorable, but a boy kissing a boy on the cheek is awkward....hypocritical much? Really just let him live and don't pay attention. People say what they say for shock value, and try to strech their rights, but doesn't mean they don't deserve to have those rights. As a tolerant gay guy I say let the homophobes say what they want, and blame the Bible for everything they say...when they really mean. "I'm taking every last word out of context to switch around for my own meaning!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Words of wisdom.

If we just let this guy say all the dusty old conservative talking points he wants and just ignore them that's a bigger win than trying to "silence" or "punish" him.

By making this a big deal, Robertson wins. He still has a fortune, I'm sure the show will still be rerun ad nauseum and he'll still get money from the residuals. He'll probably get offers from the completely congested and oversaturated conservative talking point market... and he already has their favorite "we're the REAL victims and the hippies want to silence us because we say things in an overtly shocking way" angle. Temporarily sweeping him under the rug is not going to give him any enlightenment. If anything, he's going to get more smug and justified.

Something tells me this was a heavily orchestrated effort on A&E's part, and a boycott is the minor setback they didn't see. it could work to their advantage. I'm pretty sure a good half of the audience has the same "values" anyway, and will start a campaign to bring him back. Something tells me this family's 15 minutes of fame was drying up anyway, and a big fat controversial train wreck is the only reason anyone would watch. Maybe it's just my area, but I never see that Duck stuff move. Just wave after wave of unsellable crap.

That said, I hated this show anyway. Freakin' hunting ducks? That's my FAVORITE animal.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Duck Dynasty and don't really care either way if anybody from the show is fired or not for whatever reason, but yesterday me and my family were talking about this, and it got me thinking: The Duck Dynasty fans are probably most upset by this, and there are a lot of people complaining because free speech should be allowed. Maybe this would be a good time for Phil Robertson to have his own show (though obviously not on A&E). I'm sure the Duck Dynasty fans would support it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Duck Dynasty and don't really care either way if anybody from the show is fired or not for whatever reason, but yesterday me and my family were talking about this, and it got me thinking: The Duck Dynasty fans are probably most upset by this, and there are a lot of people complaining because free speech should be allowed. Maybe this would be a good time for Phil Robertson to have his own show (though obviously not on A&E). I'm sure the Duck Dynasty fans would support it.

Free speech is allowed. That doesn't mean we aren't responsible for what we say.

I personally find it offensive that some religious folk believe they have a free pass to be insensitive toward others. Rude is rude. There are many ways to communicate a message without robbing others of their dignity. Mr. Robertson failed at that.

Nobody asked him to change his views or to remain silent. It would have been wise for him to tone down his rhetoric and show some humility- to apologize for aligning LGBT people with terrorists, murderers, sex-crazed animal lovers and those who seek evil for the sake of it. I'm pretty sure that's the part most people found offensive. We are accountable for the things we say. Even him. He should put on his big boy pants and make amends.

Peoples is peoples.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Free speech is allowed. That doesn't mean we aren't responsible for what we say.

I personally find it offensive that some religious folk believe they have a free pass to be insensitive toward others. Rude is rude. There are many ways to communicate a message without robbing others of their dignity. Mr. Robertson failed at that.
Is exactly what I've been saying.

He's stuck to stodgy, well worn conservative talking points, punctuated with "everything's wrong with the world now, as I am old." That's fine enough, but he's dragging it down blaming the existence of gay people (who, as history can tell us ONLY existed the last 30 years) and black people who are the only ones ever on welfare. I get the whole "Everything is scary and new and I'm close to death" fear and the whole "Atlas Shrugged is the greatest thing ever" self-entitlement... but he could have made both points without racial and anti-gay epithets. Or better yet, he could have also shut the Smurf up and stuck to the idiotic catchphrases ("Happy Happy Happy?" Stealing half of Stimpy's catchphrase, I see) and mentioning the nexty wave of the way too much merchandise (that doesn't sell, at least up here).

He blew it, he has only himself to blame. Except for A&E. They have themselves and him to blame. They made a bearded, hillbilly Frankenstein, and were shocked to find the villagers carrying torches.

Nobody asked him to change his views or to remain silent. It would have been wise for him to tone down his rhetoric and show some humility- to apologize for aligning LGBT people with terrorists, murderers, sex-crazed animal lovers and those who seek evil for the sake of it. I'm pretty sure that's the part most people found offensive. We are accountable for the things we say. Even him. He should put on his big boy pants and make amends.
Why would he apologize when he's on a sanctimonious high horse? He's going to be milking the poor little Christian victim as long as he possibly can. The firing was in his favor, and it's going to come out that this was all orchestrated either by him or A&E. I'm still convinced the Jon & Kate split was a PR stunt, and nothing anyone can say can get me to think otherwise. The Phil supporters will rally for the show to come back and watch the reruns religiously. Fox's cable nonsense channels are probably looking into him as a contributor, and he's clearly going to get a book deal to write yet another crayon scribbled fear mongering diatribe. He's only gained a martyrdom from those who think worse than him and confuse stifled speech with growing irrelevance.

Heck, even the press release "apologizing" was the most passive aggressively written thing I've seen. It's like it was written by a fifth grade boy because his teacher made him. Somehow, an apology from him would come off a LOT like this Family Guy skit:

Only of course, with Blacks and Gays instead of Jews

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Is exactly what I've been saying.

He's stuck to stodgy, well worn conservative talking points, punctuated with "everything's wrong with the world now, as I am old." That's fine enough, but he's dragging it down blaming the existence of gay people (who, as history can tell us ONLY existed the last 30 years) and black people who are the only ones ever on welfare. I get the whole "Everything is scary and new and I'm close to death" fear and the whole "Atlas Shrugged is the greatest thing ever" self-entitlement... but he could have made both points without racial and anti-gay epithets. Or better yet, he could have also shut the Smurf up and stuck to the idiotic catchphrases ("Happy Happy Happy?" Stealing half of Stimpy's catchphrase, I see) and mentioning the nexty wave of the way too much merchandise (that doesn't sell, at least up here).

He blew it, he has only himself to blame. Except for A&E. They have themselves and him to blame. They made a bearded, hillbilly Frankenstein, and were shocked to find the villagers carrying torches.

Why would he apologize when he's on a sanctimonious high horse? He's going to be milking the poor little Christian victim as long as he possibly can. The firing was in his favor, and it's going to come out that this was all orchestrated either by him or A&E. I'm still convinced the Jon & Kate split was a PR stunt, and nothing anyone can say can get me to think otherwise. The Phil supporters will rally for the show to come back and watch the reruns religiously. Fox's cable nonsense channels are probably looking into him as a contributor, and he's clearly going to get a book deal to write yet another crayon scribbled fear mongering diatribe. He's only gained a martyrdom from those who think worse than him and confuse stifled speech with growing irrelevance.

Heck, even the press release "apologizing" was the most passive aggressively written thing I've seen. It's like it was written by a fifth grade boy because his teacher made him. Somehow, an apology from him would come off a LOT like this Family Guy skit:

Only of course, with Blacks and Gays instead of Jews

His refusal to at least say something like, "I believe in the Bible, but apologize if the language I used offended people." is astoundingly prideful. That's such an easy way to deal with the controversy, but he's chosen to dig deeper and suggest that people can "pray the gay away" and that the existence LGBT Americans will destroy the country. That's the very definition of bigotry and it will make him a pariah to any mainstream network. Maybe he'll figure out how to clean up this mess. Otherwise, the Duck family is likely looking at faith-based cable networks.

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
His refusal to at least say something like, "I believe in the Bible, but apologize if the language I used offended people." is astoundingly prideful. That's such an easy way to deal with the controversy, but he's chosen to dig deeper and suggest that people can "pray the gay away" and that the existence LGBT Americans will destroy the country. That's the very definition of bigotry and it will make him a pariah to any mainstream network. Maybe he'll figure out how to clean up this mess. Otherwise, the Duck family is likely looking at faith-based cable networks.

HE SHOULD BE PRIDEFUL!!! I, like him, am southern baptist and we believe that being gay is a sin. Yes. BUT Phil did say that he respects EVERYONE.

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
This is my essay about this, mainly for Dwayne

I stand with Phil

In a recent interview Phil Robertson gave his opinion on same sex marriage and homosexuality. I agree with the statements he made. The King James Version bible doesn't speak of homosexuality very often but when it does it condemns it as a sin. Lev. 18:22 "You shall not lie with a male as one does with a female; it is an abomination" Gal. 6;7-8 "Be not deceived; God is not mocked : for whatever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" Secondly, this is what we're taught. Phil (like me) is southern baptist. We were raised on the fact that god put Adam and Eve together and that he meant for us to have boy-girl relationships like them. Third, people are quite angry. Many people have became angry with Phil where millions still stand on his side. (#istandwithphil anyone?) Even when Phil apologized many are still angry about his apology. A christians main-focus is to seek and to save the lost and in my opinion, that exactly what Phil did.