Phil Robertson "Fired"

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that!

I think to sum up all of this conversation I could point out a chapter in the Bible. 2 Timothy 3. In this chapter the apostle Paul, talks about the "end times" which a lot of believers believe that we are in now. If you look at verses one through seven you and look at the world today, you can kind of see why. This chapter also talks about the scriptures (The Bible) and give some fine points as to what it should be used for in everyday life.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This may sound weird but I always figured if the world ended in some kind of spiritual sense, it will be a quiet thing that no one is really expecting. The idea that the world will end when things are really terrible is just too obvious. And let's face it, things have always been kinda terrible, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This may sound weird but I always figured if the world ended in some kind of spiritual sense, it will be a quiet thing that no one is really expecting.
Well, in a sense, it kind of will be like that, because nobody knows for sure when Jesus will return, not even Jesus Himself knows, so in a sense, it's kind of an expect the unexpected kind of thing.

Interesting enough, I've noticed there's a number of videos on YouTube posted within the last year or people out in the middle or nowhere, or in quiet residential neighborhoods, where in the dead of night, you can hear a loud buzzing/humming sound coming from the sky, many are believe to be the trumpets of Gabriel.

But, then again, people have been trying to predict the end of the world for years, decades, centuries now... it is futile, people, futile! Ours is not to question why!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
As a young man who has received the call to preach, I have been taught to study the Bible(2Timotohy 2:15) In that verse it talks about "Rightly dividing" the word. What that means is that when reading and studying the Bible you have to look and understand who any giving passage is being written to. The verses in my last post where from a letter from Paul the apostle and a young preacher Timothy. In the verses I quoted Paul was telling this young man how bad people would be, and how good he(Timothy) should be. So basically it's kind of a check list for young Christians on what the world does, and on how we as Christians should conduct ourselves. I hope this helps someone, and now I am done preaching.....for now.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This may sound weird but I always figured if the world ended in some kind of spiritual sense, it will be a quiet thing that no one is really expecting. The idea that the world will end when things are really terrible is just too obvious. And let's face it, things have always been kinda terrible, lol.
According to the Bible it will kind of be both.........

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The King James Version bible doesn't speak of homosexuality very often
No, it doesn't. And Jesus doesn't bring it up at all. Whatever your opinion on it, there is no reason why this one issue should be so dominant in Christian theological discussions. Issues like abortion or the death penalty or industry greed seem much more relevant.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
HE SHOULD BE PRIDEFUL!!! I, like him, am southern baptist and we believe that being gay is a sin. Yes. BUT Phil did say that he respects EVERYONE.
This is my essay about this, mainly for Dwayne

I stand with Phil

In a recent interview Phil Robertson gave his opinion on same sex marriage and homosexuality. I agree with the statements he made. The King James Version bible doesn't speak of homosexuality very often but when it does it condemns it as a sin. Lev. 18:22 "You shall not lie with a male as one does with a female; it is an abomination" Gal. 6;7-8 "Be not deceived; God is not mocked : for whatever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" Secondly, this is what we're taught. Phil (like me) is southern baptist. We were raised on the fact that god put Adam and Eve together and that he meant for us to have boy-girl relationships like them. Third, people are quite angry. Many people have became angry with Phil where millions still stand on his side. (#istandwithphil anyone?) Even when Phil apologized many are still angry about his apology. A christians main-focus is to seek and to save the lost and in my opinion, that exactly what Phil did.

Wow, this just speaks for itself. This marks the difference between Christianity and bigotry.

While the Bible says many things (it also endorses raping, pillaging, selling others into slavery and many more quite horrible things), it it not okay to use one's faith in any religion as a form of judgment for others. Jesus never communicated a message as pridefully, rudely or inappropriately as Mr. Robertson (or the awkward Bible-banging you just demonstrated). Christians are are called to share their faith, but with peace and humility in the spirit of Jesus.

Mr. Robertson's detractors didn't object to his belief in certain Biblical principles. The objection stems from the vile way he communicated his message. He mocked gay sexuality. He insinuated gay people were all promiscuous and equated them to terrorists, murderers and other horrible things. He also claimed that the existence of gays would bring the country to ruin. That is hate speech! (He also didn't seem to notice the horrible violence, inequality or oppression toward African Americans in the Jim Crow south. That just provides a canvas for the epic level of ignorance contained in that one man.)

His non-apology just made things worse particularly when he encouraged LGBT people to "pray the gay away." That is something that doesn't work and has led to many suicides of people who think that they aren't good enough. Well, screw that.

I don't care if a person is gay, Christian, Muslim, black, white, Jewish or amphibian. That is enough, that is beautiful and I do not believe that any of it requires change!

We all have to share this planet no matter what we believe. I have nothing against Christians. I don't believe in it - or any other religion. I could waste time mocking those for their faith and devise reasoned responses of why it is absurd, but why? What does that help? I actually respect the fact that people find it in their hearts to follow the religion of their choosing. In fact, I find the differences in people to be beautiful!

It would be nice if we could all be a little more tolerant and tone-down the rhetoric. Pope Francis has offered his insights in how to deal with this subject and I suggest that more Christians take his lead. When representing your faith, do so as Jesus would.

(the perfect illustration for my sentiments)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
He also didn't seem to notice the horrible violence, inequality or oppression toward African Americans in the Jim Crow south.
He very obviously made offensive statements about gays. But the racism thing I really think has been misunderstood. Again, he is not Paula Deene bragging about how many slaves her family used to own. Robertson worked with African Americans, he was at the same economic level. He referred to himself back then as "white trash." He doesn't think he's better than anyone based on race. And while Jim Crow laws were very wrong, that doesn't mean everything was worse for African Americans. And it doesn't mean they all were miserable 24/7. Again, jobs weren't being shipped overseas the way they are now. That is a huge contributor to poverty in this country.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
No, it doesn't. And Jesus doesn't bring it up at all. Whatever your opinion on it, there is no reason why this one issue should be so dominant in Christian theological discussions. Issues like abortion or the death penalty or industry greed seem much more relevant.
Your right, as I mentioned earlier if people would understand what this is truly talking about, and why it has been written, and who is was written to then it should really not even be an issue for Christians at all. Now I know that that may sound like I am talking in circles, so let me explain. When we first started talking about all of this I was mainly trying to point out that the man was quoting scripture and people got upset over it. The scripture he quoted was true, and was right, and I also believe it because it came from the Word of God. What I am saying now is that even though the bible is clear that homosexuality is a sin, it should not be an issue with Christians. Christians should have two main objectives: 1. to strive to live like Jesus Christ daily, and we have a perfect blue print on how to do that in the four gospels and the books after the gospels.(Matthew 22:36-40) 2. "To go out to the highways, and hedges and compel them to come in" (Luke 14:23)
The problem is, and I have truly fallen short of this even in this conversation. Is that we let issues like homosexuality in and it takes away the entire message of the gospel.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
He very obviously made offensive statements about gays. But the racism thing I really think has been misunderstood. Again, he is not Paula Deene bragging about how many slaves her family used to own. Robertson worked with African Americans, he was at the same economic level. He referred to himself back then as "white trash." He doesn't think he's better than anyone based on race. And while Jim Crow laws were very wrong, that doesn't mean everything was worse for African Americans. And it doesn't mean they all were miserable 24/7. Again, jobs weren't being shipped overseas the way they are now. That is a huge contributor to poverty in this country.

I understand what he was clumsily trying to say, but his lack of empathy toward oppressed human beings who where in such close proximity to him demonstrates a level of sociopathy that I really can't fathom. Furthermore, characterizing the demeanor of Jim Crow era African Americans as not "singing the blues" is tacky and at least marginally racist. Mr. Robertson was speaking of Louisiana between the 40's and 60's! I'm sure that African Americans tried to make the best of an unfathomable situation, but his statement makes light of a terrible time in our history. There's no defending his flippant statement in any way.