Phil Robertson "Fired"

dwayne1115

Reaction score
A Christians main focus to the world is to seek and to save the lost. To love thy neighbor as thy self. They are also suppose to live Christ like, which is where the name Christian came from. Now with that comes a lot more things, but I don't really want to get into that.

muppet baby

Reaction score
This is what happens when people start quoting the Bible people get upset. This is a sad time for this country. The man was basically quoting the Bible and got fired. If Christians had a voice this country would be a lot better off.

He also said that he did not hate gays he just said that it was a sin. He said that he loved people, and would share Jesus with them and let the Lord show them there ways.

You are right dwayn yes all he did was quate the bible and got fired so silly for A&E to make that mistake , yes if this county let Christians have more of a voice and not make a big deal about would be better off .
On a talk show on CNN the other night , there was Christian profesor who was trying to explain the bible verses that Phil was trying qoute from and that poor guy was getting shot down , saying things where just stupid .
The guy hosting the show claimed to be a practing christian but said that some parts of the bible where stupid and out of date .
really sad and there saying that about the show host i will not name , some Christians need to be better versed in there faith if they want to famous TV stars talk show hosts .

Really sad , hope things will Change pray for Change everyday the first time that duck was on the air A&E wanted to pull there prayer time before the meal , at the end of the show this not the first time A&E has messed with this great group of Christian people

Drtooth

Reaction score
And as I've said before, it really is that kind of negativity towards certain groups of people out there that turn more and more people away from God, because when you have such conservative, far-right Christians going off on gay people for being gay, well that basically sends the wrong message to people that, in order to accept Jesus, you have to reject certain people for who they are, which then leads people to turn against Jesus.
Aside from the Karl Rove "manipulate the base with angry talking points so we can take over" aspects, what turns me off is holier than thou, Brainy Smurf style finger wagging. A couple years ago, one town was completely vandalized with fliers telling people the "Good News" that if they have tattoos and/or body piercings they're terrible, terrible, awful people who will burn forever in the flames of Hades because they dare altered their body which is God's property. It even included a hand picked, out of context, passive aggressively researched bible verse to reinforce how much that guy hates tattoos and body piercings. So yeah, he had an unChristian like agenda and needed the Bible to justify his minor annoyance with people daring to do something he specifically doesn't like.

What a sanctimonious twit. That's not God's love. That's not the word of Jesus. That's passive aggressively finding bible verses to justify personal agendas because you're on a Christy high horse, wagging your finger at people you don't like.

And that's the perfect metaphor for the Biblical justification of gay bashing. It's an unimportant reference to historical law that has been at least partially rendered useless by the FDA (the shrimp thing. Pork too) that has been promoted to VERY important because something's not normal and goes against the "humans are vessels to spread forth more humans and nothing more" subtext crap.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Saying that African Americans were better off when people wanted to outright kill them and they were legally forced to be humiliated because the South lost the Civil War and couldn't get over it is pretty offensive.
That is not what he said. You're acting like he's some Paula Deene glamorizing the South. That is not at all how he came across. This is a working class guy who feels that people worked harder before welfare. You don't have to agree, but I don't see his intentions being racist. And yes, of course Caucasians also use welfare but it's a fact that the African Americans population does have a disproportionate problem with poverty. I don't blame them, I blame the companies who shipped jobs overseas, I blame the government (both parties) who just don't care. In any case, if we pretend this problem doesn't exist because we're afraid of not being PC, nothing will ever be fixed.

Seriously... it's terrible prioritizing like that that gives Christianity a bad name. A footnote being more important than everything else is what really should offend Christians.
It's what gives humanity a bad name in general. Christianity isn't unique in having trouble letting go of money. It's called being an American, heh.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Quoting something I found on Facebook, quoted from Jonathan Skippy Schwartz:

Duck Dynasty freedom of speech explained:
Dude says something homophobic and something racist. He has practiced freedom of speech.
Some people freak out over his comments, and complain. Practicing their freedom of speech to protest.
A&E suspends the show, practicing their freedom of speech to choose what speech is given a platform on their network.
Some people freak out over what A&E did. Practicing their freedom of speech.

At no point did anyone lose their freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech does not mean that you can say anything you want and nobody can complain, boycott, or make a counter argument.
It means that the government can't stop you from saying what you want.
And it means that you can say anything you like, so long as you are up for dealing with the consequences of others expressing their freedom right back at you.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Freedom of speech does not mean that you can say anything you want and nobody can complain, boycott, or make a counter argument.
Legally, A&E did nothing wrong. Still, that does not make what A&E did right. Conglomerates being able to punish people for having opinions isn't much better than the government being able to do it.

And it means that you can say anything you like, so long as you are up for dealing with the consequences of others expressing their freedom right back at you.
Agree with that, that's what I said earlier. You break the rules, you take the heat (thanks Transformers!). :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Quoted for truth.

The one thing that really bugs me about this guy getting fired is this. He's now a martyr for the tin foil hat wearing jerkwads who actually do believe true homophobic/xenophobic/racist/mysogonistic/sundry hateful things. The same people who would deny freedom of speech to anyone who disagrees with them and hypocritically call out those on the other side for doing the same thing.

It's what gives humanity a bad name in general. Christianity isn't unique in having trouble letting go of money. It's called being an American, heh.
It sure is not unique to any religion or lack thereof. But you can't complain about others not being true Christians because they don't agree with one thing that Biblical Scholars (people that spend their whole lives studying biblical text to verify the true meaning) can't even agree on while tossing the rest of it aside for convenience. That, political undermining, and Brainy Smurf finger wagging turns people off on religion in general.

That said, there's nothing wrong with making money as long as you're doing it reasonably ethical. I'll give props to the fact that the family is one of the few success stories of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and working hard to get where you are. So by that context, he did have a right to complain about not wanting to pay taxes to help others. I just hear that same logic from rich spoiled brats who got where they were because their parents gave them money/bought a company and gave it to them. People who don't have to work to get where they are that tell everyone else to get a job. As in the thing that they send over seas so no one can actually get one.

Legally, A&E did nothing wrong. Still, that does not make what A&E did right. Conglomerates being able to punish people for having opinions isn't much better than the government being able to do it.
It's more like they're shoving him under the rug than punishing him. All for fear of boycott. They WILL find some a-moral swill to replace this show. And everyone will watch it to laugh at it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's more like they're shoving him under the rug than punishing him.
Oh come on, they knew the press would make a big deal about it. This wasn't sweeping him under the rug, this was to humiliate the guy. And naturally the activist groups show up to brand him as a pariah in order to shut him up. A&E knew that would happen too. Now they have their street cred as a "progressive" network because they successfully censored the right person. That's what I mean by a witch hunt mentality. This isn't civil discord, it's a bunch of parties getting together to censor someone they don't agree with.

Meanwhile A&E gets to continue airing crap just like Growing Up Gotti. It's OK! They're "progressive!" :wink:

What happened to this guy has nothing to do with civil rights or tolerance and everything to do with political agendas, industry greed and censorship. It's disgusting.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
What I think is sickening is the fact people can bash Christians all day long, and no one will say anything. However you say something about negative about gay people, and everyone is ready to hang you. Being a Christian is almost more low respecting then being gay. Everyone is fine with someone being gay, but if some one is a Christian and try's to live a Godly life with morals and beliefs then there is something wrong with you. I'm A Christian, and I am proud of it. I believe in God, and that he sent his only son to die for our sins. The Bible is very clear on what a sin is, and I believe that it is the Holy Word of God. I live by faith, and I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Aside from the Karl Rove "manipulate the base with angry talking points so we can take over" aspects, what turns me off is holier than thou, Brainy Smurf style finger wagging. A couple years ago, one town was completely vandalized with fliers telling people the "Good News" that if they have tattoos and/or body piercings they're terrible, terrible, awful people who will burn forever in the flames of Hades because they dare altered their body which is God's property. It even included a hand picked, out of context, passive aggressively researched bible verse to reinforce how much that guy hates tattoos and body piercings. So yeah, he had an unChristian like agenda and needed the Bible to justify his minor annoyance with people daring to do something he specifically doesn't like.
Yeah, you know what? Tattoos and body piercings may not be my thing, but, I'm not going to stand around and tell people not to get them if they want them. Heck, my dad has a tattoo of a golfcap-wearing smoker on his forearm... my sister's got all kinds of religious tattoos (crosses and such) on her arms, her back, and such... though now, she does regret them.

I do know that yes, there is a verse or two in the Bible that does say not to tattoo yourself and all, but at the same time, we are given free will to do what we want: God gave us the right to choose to do what we want to do as we please, if He didn't, He wouldn't be a god He would be a dictator. As I've mentioned time and time again, I personally find tattoos and body piercing to be turnoffs, and I personally don't care for them (I'm even reminded of a quote from M*A*S*H where B.J. asks, "Why would anybody want to hang a picture on his body that he wouldn't be caught dead hanging on his wall?"), though I know for a lot of people out that, tattoos are works of art, and for some, tattoos are symbolic of things in their lives, such as dedications to loved ones and such; so if people like tattoos and want tattoos, they have a right to get them. As long as those tattooed individuals have already accepted Jesus Christ, God isn't going to send them to the eternal lake of fire no more than He is those homosexters who worship alongside them thur heterosexters.

The thing to remember is this: as long as a person, whether they're straight, gay, tattooed, pierced, whatever, has accepted Jesus Christ with all their heart as their Lord and Savior, that's what really matters. They're not going to **** because of their orientation or what's on their bodies... that doesn't mean, however, that they still don't have some splainin' to do (Judgement Day).