Old Nickelodeon

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That would be the logical thing to do, except I don’t trust a word that man says.
Same here! The minute he made that suicide joke about Mary Kay Bergman and pinned it onTara Strong during his interview with her on his podcast, I lost all respect for the guy.

And it certainly doesn’t help with the fact that he’s done so many scams with gofundmes and what have you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why the frog is Nick@Nite showing YOUNG SHELDON when that's a froggin' current show?

Erine81981

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing and I thought yes Nick @ Nite is no longer the retro or at least 90's sitcom showing channel anymore. I really don't watch Nick @ Nite anymore except for FRIENDS (yes I know there people out there that don't like it) that is if there's a certain episode showing but I don't watch the channel for that anymore. Yes I grew up on classic 50's, 60's and 70's TV shows from Nick @ Nite but now I either watch MeTV for that now.
Doesn't really bother me. I stop watching the block years ago. I did enjoy watching some of it's original shows like "See Dad Run" and "Glenn Martin D.D.S." which I really did enjoy them both. Glad to see that GMDDS didn't get a third season but oh well. It was ok but not the best but I still enjoyed getting to see something new on Nick @ Nite.
That's one thing you can say about certain channels. They stay like how you like it but after a while it changes up and after a while most the older program starts getting the graveyard shift and after then you don't ever see it airing on the channel any more. I do miss how I remember it but I know things can't stay that way or it would get stale and old so glad to know that Nick @ Nite is still a block for newer kids getting to grow up on other shows that I was raised on when they were still in production.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
CMT shows Last Man Standing along with Mom and both of those are current shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I’ve recently thought up a fan theory regarding the Hey Arnold episode where Gerald spends the night and meets the boarders.

I’ve recently learned that one of the borders, a woman named Lana Vail, was supposed to have a crush on Arnold, which the censors objected to, so she mainly just made background appearances, with only one line of dialogue in the whole series, in the episode Heat. In fact I thought her line was somewhat odd, even if it does relate to the hot day. Knowing what Craig Bartlett intended, I wonder if the line (“Arnold, a little hot air, is that too much to ask?”) is supposed to have some subtle sexual implications or not. It does seem odd that she’s alone as opposed to with the others using the air conditioning. But maybe i’m looking too much into that.

Anyway, I think the episode where Arnold and Gerald collect the rent was supposed to have a scene with her that was cut, and I think the scene with Mr. Purdue was supposed to be a replacement.

Pieces of evidence that back this theory up:
  • Mr. Purdy was named after Joseph Purdy, who worked on the show, I think as a show editor. Naming him after a member of the staff might be something to do if it’s a last minute change.
  • Mr. Purdy was also voiced by Joseph Purdy, which might be why he was named after him. And Joseph Purdy would have been available to voice a last-minute character (though I don’t doubt Craig Bartlett or Dan Castlenetta could have done a good job).
  • Joseph Purdy was not credited as a voice actor, so maybe it was a Union thing and they couldn’t get it settled in time.
  • He is an unseen character, so they didn’t have to design a new character. And in his own scene, we mainly just see Gerald reacting to what he hears. So not a lot of animation really required. It’s also a bit redundant to have him be unseen, when there’s also the unseen Mr. Smith.
  • Probably no way around this, but he and Mr. Smith are the only ones not present at dinner time. But at least Mr. Smith has a camera to represent him having dinner with them, while Mr. Purdy doesn’t have anything. And he’s just unseen, no indication of him being private like Mr. Smith.
  • This was his only appearance. I wonder if it would have been hard to keep him on the show if he’s unseen. Seems the unseen residents don’t get to stay (Mr. Smith was only mentioned and involved in one other episode).
  • Finally, in terms of my theory that there might have been a cut Lana Vail scene, she does show up at the end, when Suzie is throwing things at Oskar, and I think at the dinner table. So the animators had it on their mind to include her.

It is also a little surprising that they’d include an adult woman with the hots for Arnold on a Nickelodeon show. I can see it on a show like Family Guy or South Park. I wonder if she was meant to be what TV Tropes calls a “censor decoy”, something put in scripts that they expect the censors to object to, in the hopes that it’ll distract them from something that they really want to include. But while Hey Arnold does include a lot of adult jokes that go over kids heads, I can’t really think of anything that made it to the show that’s really shocking that they allowed (maybe it was a censor decoy that didn’t work).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In addition to the main”two shorts” format of Ren and Stimpy, the show often had short sketches as well, like Ask dr. Stupid,Log, various commercials, and the “what’ll we do ‘til then???” sign-offs (which I feel they should have done more). I wonder why that was the only Nicktoon series to do this (Kablaam doesn’t count).

The first three Nicktoons were all very different from each other, with Ren and Stimpy being the most bizarre and gross-out. Doug was tame compared to the others and perhaps the most realistic, while Rugrats might have been a little close to Doug but also having a lot of gross-out humor.

At first, Ren and Stimpy was the hit of the three, getting most of the network and licensing attention during the early 1990s. The first two additions to the Nicktoons - Rocko’s Modern Life and Aaahhhh Real Monsters - were more like Ren and Stimpy, in terms of having animal/fantasy characters and bizarre gross-out humor. I think Hey Arnold is the first addition to include humans and be a bit more normal, almost a mix of Doug and Rugrats.

Often, when a show becomes a big hit, networks want more shows like it. In the late-1990s, Rugrats suddenly became very popular, the kind of show Nickelodeon focused its attention on. And yet I can not really think of any shows that were knock-offs (I know, I said Hey Arnold might have some of its humor). Can anybody think of any shows that seem like knock-offs of Rugrats?

Then again, Klasky Csupo was the first animation production company to get a second Nicktoon, which I think was before Rugrats boosted in popularity, and it is the only animation studio I can think of to have multiple shows on Nickelodeon (despite Ren and Stimpy’s popularity, Nick didn’t order more shows from Spumco or Games Animation, though considering their poor working relationship with John K., I guess they wouldn’t want another show from him).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know the exact details of what's going on, but from what I'm gathering, apparently Butch Hartman did a $200 commission for somebody and basically just blatantly redrew an already-existing character almost exactly.

Mario500

Reaction score
I don't know the exact details of what's going on, but from what I'm gathering, apparently Butch Hartman did a $200 commission for somebody and basically just blatantly redrew an already-existing character almost exactly.
(wishes to know how these details were gathered)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean..... that’s Butch Hartman for you. A big con artist who never even gave credit for the redraw in the first place, and the same guy who made that horrible joke about Tara being the reason Mary Kay Bergman killed herself during his interview with her.