Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, again, the writing has been on the walls, and this does come up in conversation every few years . . . but the way YouTube continually screws over the smaller channels (and honestly, they do make effort to do so), it really wouldn't be too awfully surprising if it actually does happen eventually one day in the future.

Just in the past decade, YouTube has gradually been taken over by the following:
- Partner channels
- Gamers and Let's Players
- Movie reviews
- Vapid and narcissistic vloggers
- Pop stars
- Make-up enthusiats
- Official channels for talk shows
- A-list celebrities

Basically, if your channel or content doesn't fall into any of these categories, you basically don't exist on YouTube.

Schfifty

Reaction score
What if your main YouTube hobby is posting old TV commercials and whatnot? If that doesn't meet their criteria, where are we going to post all of those? Dailymotion of all places?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair, you're not even supposed to upload that kind of content in the first place - that's been against their policies from day one . . . in fact, that's actually the reason why the original creators of YouTube sold out to Google in the first place: too many users violated the TOS by uploading copyrighted content like TV show and movie clips and such, and as such, they felt the purpose of YouTube had been defeated, and they sold out, so a bigger tech company like Google could monitor copyrighted material more thoroughly.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Just in the past decade, YouTube has gradually been taken over by the following:
- Partner channels
- Gamers and Let's Players
- Movie reviews
- Vapid and narcissistic vloggers
- Pop stars
- Make-up enthusiats
- Official channels for talk shows
- A-list celebrities
These both could probably fall under "Vapid and narcissistic vloggers", but:
- Unboxers
- Reactors

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I swear I also typed "trend followers" as part of that list, because that's what I'd classify those under.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean, in the end I know my Saltywhiteguy channel is small, but I still enjoy uploading my own original
work and making silly YouTube poops for that channel. Because they’re fun and it takes away stress.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I will change my avatar to anything of your guys' choice if this actually happens.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking into the matter a little deeper, and trying to do my homework, I've figured out I pretty much only have two options:

1. I can mark my content as "not made for kids," so that way, I don't lose any key features that are beneficial to my channel growing, such as my subscribers actually receiving notifications and updates when I upload new videos, end screens, my videos being shared across the site in recommendations, comments, and such . . . but, if YouTube's automated computer system and algorithm detect that my content is actually made for kids (which it probably will, because it probably will automatically assume puppetry is for kids, among other things), I can be fined $40,000 per video for abusing the system.

2. I can mark my content as "made for kids," and basically lose my entire audience (which isn't that much anyway) because they won't actually see any notifications or updates from my channel, and I'll never know what they have to say since they won't be able to comment . . . but, if YouTube's automated computer system and algorithm detect that my content isn't actually made for kids, I can be fined $40,000 per video for abusing the system.

So . . . either way, I'm screwed. Well, so as thousands and maybe millions of others, but. . . .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thing of it is, the responsibility is being heaped on us; we're supposed to label our content accordingly.