Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, they've adjusted the size of the thumbnails . . . they're not as huge as they were when I first brought this up, but they're still relatively larger than they traditionally have been all these years. I would say it's a reasonable middle ground.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So now we have this new requirement by law that means we have to tag our videos and content with either "Made for kids" or "Not made for kids" even though it's entirely separate from placing age restrictions on videos.

I mean, I can kind of understand why this is a new requirement, but I can also see why YouTubers are unhappy about this. I'm not particularly a fan of it, because once again, part of the mindset is having to narrow your content down to a specific target audience, which my content never has been.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So now we have this new requirement by law that means we have to tag our videos and content with either "Made for kids" or "Not made for kids" even though it's entirely separate from placing age restrictions on videos.
we have to tag “for kids” or “not for kids”? Age restricting is not good enough?

My internet connection was acting up a bit on YouTube as I tried to figure out what all I have to to. I usually don’t make my videos for kids specifically, there are a lot of videos that are okay for kids to watch but probably just as many that are not.

looking at YouTube videos today and I am not noticing “for kids” or “not for kids” tags on other people’s videos.

And I see there will no longer be ads on videos for kids. I wonder how this will effect official uploads from major companies like Sesame Workshop.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
we have to tag “for kids” or “not for kids”? Age restricting is not good enough?
This is an entirely different function.
looking at YouTube videos today and I am not noticing “for kids” or “not for kids” tags on other people’s videos.
I don't know exactly how it's working, but so far, it's something you have to change when you're editing your video's details (title, description, visibility, etc.).
And I see there will no longer be ads on videos for kids. I wonder how this will effect official uploads from major companies like Sesame Workshop.
They didn't say videos for kids will no longer have ads, they said you can't customize the ads to your own liking if you tag your video as being for kids - probably so kids won't end up seeing ads with questionable content, or endorsing kid-unfriendly products like alcohol or e-cigarettes or anything of the sort.

Any Del

Reaction score
Since I upload only Sesame content, I guess my channel falls under the "made for kids" category.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Probably, but that's another thing too: if you upload a variety of different kind of content on your channel, you can change the settings to tag your individual videos, rather than tag your entire channel.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I almost picked the choice to choose for individual videos (and there’s over 1500 of them to sort through), but then I decided that picking “I never upload videos for kids” is just fine. I thought they’d all automatically be blocked unless one logged in, but it looks like that’s not the case.

I had trouble before because my computer doesn’t support certain YouTube studios features (I went to use a library computer). It would be good if you could do that on the old browsers (which can still be used).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So I just found out that as of next month, if your channel isn’t making money, it’s going to be terminated.

So, yeah. Guess I can kiss both my Sesame Street fan channel and Saltywhiteguy channel away. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Any Del

Reaction score
Smh... Welp, I still have Google Photos... Fun while it lasted. Honestly I'm mainly distraught that most if not all of my favorite YouTube creators whom I love dear will all be gone... So congratulations YouTube, y'all just lost about 90% of your consumers all because of your greediness and stupidity... I just hope you're happy, that's all I have to say... 😑😔😢

Schfifty

Reaction score
So I just found out that as of next month, if your channel isn’t making money, it’s going to be terminated.

So, yeah. Guess I can kiss both my Sesame Street fan channel and Saltywhiteguy channel away. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Wait, they're getting rid of channels that aren't in the partnership program? Where did you find this out?

I seriously hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like.