None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It is ridiculously hot out today. Like I’m counting down the days till we can start wearing hoodies and pants again.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
No, like I said, this is figuring temps all over the world. July here was downright pleasant.
We had a spike towards the end of June, and it’s been in the 90s the last few days, but tomorrow the high will be 78.

i’ve gotten used to summer heat long ago. New York is wonderful three seasons out of the year, but it’s unbearable in the summer. Being that New York sits on a cluster of islands surrounded by water, as bad as the heat is, the humidity is worse.

But I’ve come to expect it.Summer equals heat. That’s how it is. But it’s extremely rare for us to ever reach triple digits. In the last four years, we only had five days over 100. So I’ve been very slow on sounding the alarm. If it gets like Death Valley where it hits 120, then I’d be more than a little concerned.
It’s been forty years since we had a drought.
It’s been over twenty since we had any severe floods.
So if climate change is happening, in New York you’d never know it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The 90s have returned with avengence again this week, not only was it unbearably hot to be outside today, but with certainly establishments requiring masks again - even for vaccinated people, that just made it worse having my own hot breath blown right back into my already-hot face.

But, on the flip side, this is actually only the third week this whole summer where it's gotten this hot . . . usually, it'd be like this from June through August with very little relief, so it could certainly be a lot worse than it is now, so I suppose I can't really complain too much.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It’s not so hot here, but the humidity is a killer.
But in New Jersey/New York this is par for the course. It’s not gonna catch you by surprise.

For over a hundred years, the way for New Yorkers to beat the heat was take the train to Coney Island. The train’s final stop was Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn, and on any given day a million people would show up.
Cool off in the water, grab a hot dog from Nathan’s, ride the Cyclone, the Wonder Wheel or the Parachute Jump..

In the winter people come back for the Polar Bear Plunge. Usually to raise money for charity, people will dive into the icy water.
By then the hot summer is the furthest thing from your mind.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Went for a walk this morning, it was ridiculously hot out. My shirt was completely drenched in sweat that I had to slowly take it off.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean I was outside cooling on a bench and felt the need to take the opportunity to walk. I at least got some exercise. 🤷🏿‍♂️

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For the second year in a row, September was normal again in 2021 to the point that we even had a couple of days later into the month where the highs were only in the 60s, which was very much conducive to long pants weather!

This month has been such a morale booster, and it was a thrill to be able to enjoy another year of September the way it once was before Climate Change had become an even bigger problem in the past decade . . . like seriously, I think throughout all of the New Tens, 2017 was the only year in which September was normal in that the intense summer heat that brings about temps in the 90s didn't continue to linger throughout the month as if August decided to overstay its welcome.

Whooooo . . . seriously, I have been walking on sunshine this past month, and it's felt so good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know fuzzygobo won't buy this, but this explains why October is almost over, and there's hardly much fall colors out there still. . . .

Even down here, we've usually reached our peak color season by now, but we're still mostly green right now with only a few sparse trees showing shades of yellow and orange here and there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is what I've been saying! This is what I've been saying for the past decade!

This is what's happening! Winter has gradually been becoming more and more non-existent! Even now, it's 10-15 degrees above average in the 60s, pushing close to 70, and it's froggin' December! That's not supposed to happen! But no, let's continue to deny Climate Change is real, because, "Hur-hur! I wish winter felt like this all the time! That'd be great!" Yeah, it's like I said, if Climate Change had the reverse effects, and it was spring or summer that were deminishing because of prolonged fall or winter, then people would probably take it more seriously.