New movies coming out...

Jennifer12

Reaction score
My point is that it's not really the media picking up on this and pushing it out of control, as much as that the idea of a controversy was planted in the media by the producers of this film to incite larger controversy to draw people in. I don't believe the media is as responsible for it as much as it is the manipulation by the production company to get everyone taking sides before they've seen so much as a trailer for the thing.

Acutally, it's a brilliant sort of psychological ploy. We've seen it work again and again.

Even if not for the blatant marketing manipulation, I probably wouldn't see the movie. The story of Christ is just too sad to me. I can't stand watching violence so inhumanely dished out. Even in a movie. I stopped watching The Pianist when the Nazis tipped the wheel chaired man off his balcony. I left the theater at the end of Braveheart with the tourture scene and I couldn't stand Gladiator after a certain point either. I just don't have the stomach for watching people dish out pain to others. Even pretend in films.

Jen

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Bible is truth or not, but the reason for the controversy appears to come from Biblical text itself. That a portion is merely echoed in the movie. If groups want to picket anything it should be bookstores that sell the Bible. I just don't get it. I understand why some groups are upset, but it seems to be misplaced. I'll probably see the film if the trailers are good. It's been a while since such a theatrical film has been attempted and last time it was a different group picketing it. Go figure. :zany:

movielad

Reaction score
Press manipulation by film studios has been going on as long as media itself. Both are to blame for anything resulting from it. As for violence, it's a cruel fact of life that we can't ignore and the fact that the film is based around an historical event (in the same vein of Schinder's List - now that DID make me cry). Is this entertainment? That's something to argue about :smile:

Regards,

Martyn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well said. I don't know why people are giving so much press to a Mel Gibson film anyway. He hasn't had anything to do wth a hit film since Braveheart has he? All this serves to line his pockets. However, I've heard many controversies about him pertaining to other film projects.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wanted to see this film Gibson done-did.

Lots'o'movies I want to see, though.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
How about Troy?

I think Troy should be interesting. From what I've heard, it's essentially a re-telling of The Illiad, but it's only the story of the war. None of the Gods are in it. Has anyone else heard this?

I wouldn't call myself a purist by any stretch. I love to hear/see/read different tellings of the same story, but from what I remember, one of the major themes of The Illiad is how the gods influence the events on Earth. I'm looking forward to seeing how they get around that. :confused:

Also, since Sean Bean is playing Odysseus, we know he won't get killed in the end like he seems to in all his other films! Yay! :smile:

Jen

movielad

Reaction score
No Gods. Troy is going to be an interesting one, even if only for the action. The company I work for is producing the CGI FX for the armies in the same vein as that used in Lord of the Rings. From what I've seen it's going to be *extremely* impressive. For those that have seen the teaser trailer you'd have already seen the wooden horse (when I first saw it before the trailer was released I wondered if it was real or whether it was a physical prop - but it's real!), but just wait to you guys see the war itself - if you thought the Battle of Helm's Deep was impressive..

Yep, Troy is going to be a good 'un alright. :smile:

Regards,

Martyn

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Oooh, I CANNOT WAIT for ROTK. The funny thing is, I don't like battle scenes, and that's what's really being hyped about it. :stick_out_tongue: Oh, well, it's not every day your favorite book becomes the movie of the century. :stick_out_tongue: I really have no interest in "The Passion of Christ" because it just looks too violent, and is it still going to be in all Aramaic and Latin? Yech. "Jesus Christ Superstar" is my favorite movie version of the Gospel. Really poweful stuff.
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
A lot of the online ROTK reviews I've read (or skimmed, since I want to avoid knowing too much) have been praising the character scenes even higher than the battles, which has me really excited. If they stick to the book, there's bound to be some really powerfully emotional stuff in there! They've handled that kind of thing well in the films so far, so I have confidence...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
A lot of the online ROTK reviews I've read (or skimmed, since I want to avoid knowing too much) have been praising the character scenes even higher than the battles, which has me really excited. If they stick to the book, there's bound to be some really powerfully emotional stuff in there! They've handled that kind of thing well in the films so far, so I have confidence...
I hear that the conclusion is really satisfying for fans of the book and for people who are just really emotionally invested in the movies. It's bound to be really dramatic. There were a few things about Sam in the first movie that disappointed me, but I think that I will be happy with him in the third. That's where his contribution is the most crucial, anyway. I'm hoping that Faramir comes out better in this film, too. I always liked him in the book, but I didn't find him very likable in the second movie.
Erin