New movies coming out...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
NikZane said:
Ahh, nice! Bo Welch has a very impressive repertoire. You are right, he was responsible for creating the Edward Scissorhands Mansion (and the pastel town), the Haunted House and "other" world in Beetlejuice and he also designed Burton's Gotham City for Batman Returns.

In addition to all that he's leant his skills to an extraordinary array of films such as History of the World - Part I, Lost Boys, Color Purple, A Little Princess, Ghost Busters II, Men in Black, The Birdcage... the list goes on.

I'm really looking forward to this movie now, I believe this will be his first gig at Directing his own film, so it will be interesting to see how far this designer's already diverse talent can stretch. At least we know it will *look* marvelous, lets hope that he can direct too.

Although I'm not a *huge* fan, you can't go too far wrong with Mike Myers for character acting either.

Thanks for the info Erin :smile:
No problemo! It looks like a lot to look forward to. :smile:
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cat in the Hat?? Ugh! That movie looks awful...

I liked Grinch, though, but I never want to see it again. The best part of the Cat movie is that all the merchandise resembles the original Book version, something sorely lacking with Grinch (they either reselbled Jim Carrey or the weird cartoon character they made of the Grinch, since WB owns the rights to the original animated version). I want to get an action figure, myself...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Cat in the Hat?? Ugh! That movie looks awful...

I liked Grinch, though, but I never want to see it again. The best part of the Cat movie is that all the merchandise resembles the original Book version, something sorely lacking with Grinch (they either reselbled Jim Carrey or the weird cartoon character they made of the Grinch, since WB owns the rights to the original animated version). I want to get an action figure, myself...
Hey! :mad: Weird cartoon version? Are you speaking of the animated Grinch from master animator (and father of Buggs Bunny. Roadrunner, Pepe Le Pew, Marvin Martian etc) Chuck Jones? I must have read that wrong, especially coming from a cartoonist. :confused: (turns a blind eye and hope this was all a misunderstanding)

Drtooth

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
Hey! :mad: Weird cartoon version? Are you speaking of the animated Grinch from master animator (and father of Buggs Bunny. Roadrunner, Pepe Le Pew, Marvin Martian etc) Chuck Jones? I must have read that wrong, especially coming from a cartoonist. :confused: (turns a blind eye and hope this was all a misunderstanding)

No. If you read it more carefully (or If I wrote it more carefully), you'd have known that I said the Weird cartoon version they made up specifically for the Grinch Movie Merchandise http://www.bellywashers.com/images/grinch.jpg http://vu.morrissey-solo.com/sleeper/stretch/disc/grinch.jpg

As I meant to say, the Grinch they used is supposed to only remotely resemble the Classic Chuck Jones Grinch but look more like Jim, since it was a Universal Studios movie, and the animated special, produced by MGM, was now owned by the opposing WB.

I would have loved to see Grinch movie Merchandise that resembled the book or the real cartoon, but they were either the Jim Carry Likeness, or the Universal Department of Product desginers cartoon version.

Sorry for the Mix up!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ahh, good. I was shocked there for a moment. The first pic just looks like a bad artist's rendereing, but the second is just terrible.

I'm not sure what to think of Cat in the Hat. I'll reserve judgement until I see it. Good thing it wasn't hyped for 2 years like the Grinch was. That was a marketing no-no. It could have been perfect (which it wasn't) and it still would have been a disappointment. I guess not being a Carrey fan doesn't help.

Saw Underworld last week. It wasn't the best film, but I enjoyed it. A fresh take on the genre. It's a bit long and could have used more pop, but if you're into this sort of film you'll probably enjoy it. I'd consider seeing it again and will definitely see the sequel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am a small fan of Carrey, but it's mostly his earlier Stuuf, Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, and especially the Mask.

The Grinch I found pretty good, and the visuals were stunning to say the least, but if you don't like Carrey, you won't like the movie.

I like Mike Myers, but now he's dangerously in trouble of becoming annoying. I think that he looks exactly like the grinch, only they recolored the suit and gave him that giant hat.

I swear, The good Doctor Suess is taking a beating. First it was cold reviews from the Grinch, then Suessical flopped (I've heard some of the songs, and I can imagine why it did poorly), and this doesn't look like it's going to win anybody over.

Personally, I'd love to see them rerelease long forgotten Suess Specials like The Grinch grinches the Cat in the Hat (I have it, and aside from the originals of both, this is one of my favorites) and Pontoffol Pock (If memory serves, the music was from Joe Raposo, as Suess himself wrote the lyrics) on DVD and Video or something. I believe Depatie Freling Studios animated them...

NikZane

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I think LOTR, in addition to everything else, was a very successful travel guide for New Zealand!
Erin
Indeed, the last few times I've flown the OZ/NZ/US triangle I've used Air New Zealand. They show a "Welcome to Air NZ" movie on all flights promoting the airline as "The Official Airline to Middle Earth", and the travel guide-esque scenes are all centred around the LOTR movies.

Air NZ have even covered a couple of their 767-300's with massive LOTR themed murals, each based on a character from the movie/book, much like huge flying billboards. The designs are quite nice, there's a Frodo plane and an Aragorn/Arwen plane. I know it's all marketing strategy, but still, I don't care - it LOTR afterall.

Last month I flew to the Cook Islands in the Aragorn plane, which was kind of exciting. I didn't realize it though until we disembarked, and my camera was buried deep in my luggage so unfortunately didn't get a pic :smile:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Personally, I'd love to see them rerelease long forgotten Suess Specials like The Grinch grinches the Cat in the Hat (I have it, and aside from the originals of both, this is one of my favorites) and Pontoffol Pock (If memory serves, the music was from Joe Raposo, as Suess himself wrote the lyrics) on DVD and Video or something. I believe Depatie Freling Studios animated them...
My favorite Dr. Seuss books are "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Lorax." I like the animated versions of both, and after being so happy with the results of the live-action "Grinch," I'd love to see somebody tackle "The Lorax." :smile:
Erin