New movies coming out...

NikZane

Reaction score
Return of the King

Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I can't WAIT for Return of the King!!!!! :big_grin:
Erin
I'm pretty much bouncing off the walls waiting this movie.

I just read that New Line Cinema, prior to ROTK's Dec 17 release, will be doing a once-off showing at cinemas of: the extended version of Fellowship (Dec 5-11), followed by the (AFAIK) yet-to-be-seen extended version of Two Towers (Dec 12-15), then on Dec 16, a one-time-only marathon of both the extended Fellowship and Towers movies PLUS The Return of the King, back-to-back.

That'll be roughly 10 hours of cinema viewing - egads!

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*gasp*ooooooooooooooooooooooooo want to go. I plan to do this anyway on DVD, but on the big screen will be even better :big_grin:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
NikZane said:
I'm pretty much bouncing off the walls waiting this movie.

I just read that New Line Cinema, prior to ROTK's Dec 17 release, will be doing a once-off showing at cinemas of: the extended version of Fellowship (Dec 5-11), followed by the (AFAIK) yet-to-be-seen extended version of Two Towers (Dec 12-15), then on Dec 16, a one-time-only marathon of both the extended Fellowship and Towers movies PLUS The Return of the King, back-to-back.

That'll be roughly 10 hours of cinema viewing - egads!

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*gasp*ooooooooooooooooooooooooo want to go. I plan to do this anyway on DVD, but on the big screen will be even better :big_grin:
Wow, that *would* be worth going to!!! The extras for "Fellowship" were awesome. I'm so psyched for "Return of the King." I hear it's supposed to be pretty depressing :frown: but I hope it at least ends on a high note. I guess the end is bittersweet, but I would consider it a happy ending.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot lately about the new "Cat in the Hat" movie. Sounds great. I loved the live action version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," and I was rather unsure about that at first. I always liked the Grinch a lot better than the Cat in the Hat, so I'm interested in this case to see if they can make the story as appealing to me as the Grinch. They're definitely doing a lot of fleshing out of the story and characters, but I think it's workable.
Erin

NikZane

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I've been seeing a lot lately about the new "Cat in the Hat" movie. Sounds great. I loved the live action version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," and I was rather unsure about that at first. I always liked the Grinch a lot better than the Cat in the Hat, so I'm interested in this case to see if they can make the story as appealing to me as the Grinch. They're definitely doing a lot of fleshing out of the story and characters, but I think it's workable.
Erin
Oooh, do you know who is directing this?

*closes eyes & crosses fingers - please say Tim Burton, please say Tim Burton*

NikZane

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Wow, that *would* be worth going to!!! The extras for "Fellowship" were awesome. I'm so psyched for "Return of the King." I hear it's supposed to be pretty depressing :frown: but I hope it at least ends on a high note. I guess the end is bittersweet, but I would consider it a happy ending.
Erin
I was so impressed with how much was crammed in to the only 20-something minutes of extras.

Indeed, the LOTR ending is bittersweet, I just hope the whole ending is included in the film (ie: The return home. Is that giving too much away for non-readers of the book? I hope not.)

Peter Jackson is very dedicated to ensuring the best possible adaption he can provide, so I'm sure we won't be dissappointed.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
NikZane said:
Oooh, do you know who is directing this?

*closes eyes & crosses fingers - please say Tim Burton, please say Tim Burton*
Someone named Bo Welch; I don't see anything about other movies he's directed, but he was production designer for "Beetlejuice" and "Edward Scissorhands," so he has a link to Burton at least. Mike Myers is playing the cat and Dakota Fanning from "I Am Sam" is playing the girl; the boy is someone named Spencer Breslin, and the mom is Kelly Preston.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
NikZane said:
I was so impressed with how much was crammed in to the only 20-something minutes of extras.

Indeed, the LOTR ending is bittersweet, I just hope the whole ending is included in the film (ie: The return home. Is that giving too much away for non-readers of the book? I hope not.)

Peter Jackson is very dedicated to ensuring the best possible adaption he can provide, so I'm sure we won't be dissappointed.
Yes, I agree, I hope that we get the whole ending, but however it turns out, I think we can trust Peter Jackson to deliver the most satisfying and true to the film ending. There are some things he did in the first two movies that I wasn't crazy about, but on the whole I think he did an absolutely phenomenal job of bringing my favorite book to life. I only wish I could have been a part of it!!
Erin

NikZane

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I only wish I could have been a part of it!!
Oh so do I! I've actually travelled thru NZ a few times over the past few years and have twice missed casting calls by merely days. It just wasn't meant to be I guess :smirk:

I'll be leaving the US prior to the ROTK release, so it looks like I'll miss the trilogy marathon too (I don't even know where in the US it will be playing). I will however be in NZ around that time (*hopefully*), visiting a friend in Wellington. He's tells me that during the filming of all the movies Wellington has a sign as you enter the town; "Welcome to Middle Earth" and that there are crew members in and around town all the time, proudly wearing their cast member t-shirts.

For the past two films they've done the big all-star premier thing (one of which he was fortunate enough to do a red carpet martial arts performance), so I'll be making every effort to attend/visit if I can, assuming they do it again this year in Wellington. Granted it's not as good as being involved, but it'd be nice seeing the cast and crew, in Middle Earth itself.

NikZane

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Someone named Bo Welch; I don't see anything about other movies he's directed, but he was production designer for "Beetlejuice" and "Edward Scissorhands," so he has a link to Burton at least. Mike Myers is playing the cat and Dakota Fanning from "I Am Sam" is playing the girl; the boy is someone named Spencer Breslin, and the mom is Kelly Preston.
Erin
Ahh, nice! Bo Welch has a very impressive repertoire. You are right, he was responsible for creating the Edward Scissorhands Mansion (and the pastel town), the Haunted House and "other" world in Beetlejuice and he also designed Burton's Gotham City for Batman Returns.

In addition to all that he's leant his skills to an extraordinary array of films such as History of the World - Part I, Lost Boys, Color Purple, A Little Princess, Ghost Busters II, Men in Black, The Birdcage... the list goes on.

I'm really looking forward to this movie now, I believe this will be his first gig at Directing his own film, so it will be interesting to see how far this designer's already diverse talent can stretch. At least we know it will *look* marvelous, lets hope that he can direct too.

Although I'm not a *huge* fan, you can't go too far wrong with Mike Myers for character acting either.

Thanks for the info Erin :smile:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
NikZane said:
Oh so do I! I've actually travelled thru NZ a few times over the past few years and have twice missed casting calls by merely days. It just wasn't meant to be I guess :smirk:

I'll be leaving the US prior to the ROTK release, so it looks like I'll miss the trilogy marathon too (I don't even know where in the US it will be playing). I will however be in NZ around that time (*hopefully*), visiting a friend in Wellington. He's tells me that during the filming of all the movies Wellington has a sign as you enter the town; "Welcome to Middle Earth" and that there are crew members in and around town all the time, proudly wearing their cast member t-shirts.

For the past two films they've done the big all-star premier thing (one of which he was fortunate enough to do a red carpet martial arts performance), so I'll be making every effort to attend/visit if I can, assuming they do it again this year in Wellington. Granted it's not as good as being involved, but it'd be nice seeing the cast and crew, in Middle Earth itself.
Oh, wow!! I hope you can make it to the premiere. Man, the past five years must've been a GREAT time to be a New Zealander. I'd love to go there some time. It looks like a beautiful country. I think LOTR, in addition to everything else, was a very successful travel guide for New Zealand!
Erin