Muppet Peter Pan

theprawncracker

Reaction score
AHHHH! Amy! ! ! That is SO gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE Gonzo! He's so beautifully drawn! His nose and feathers are gorgeous. His pose is completely perfect and just screams the comedy that's sure to come from him.

Sweetums is AWESOME, Bunsen and Beaker are perfect, and Rizzo is hysterical. I love, love, LOVE it. This series can NOT drop fast enough. I am SO excited! :big_grin:

theprawncracker

Reaction score

Amy

Reaction score
Sweetums and Gonzo look great! I don't know but Amy to me it looks like you went with a lot of the Muppet Babies cartoon look. The color looks wonderful as well. It almost looked like Muppets Treasuer Island.
Not consciously, as far as I know.
But then, I'm from animation, so it's probably more natural that I'm going to draw characters to principles of animation character design. Very rounded, solid construction, not too much stylisation.

That's just one way of doing it, anyway :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not consciously, as far as I know.
But then, I'm from animation, so it's probably more natural that I'm going to draw characters to principles of animation character design. Very rounded, solid construction, not too much stylisation.

That's just one way of doing it, anyway :wink:
I'm not much of a fan of the Muppet Babies cartoon and rest assured your drawings look nothing like those to me. In fact, your representations really look like the puppet construction in places that most other artists miss.

You might know that Jim Henson had plans to produce a Muppet Show cast cel animated film with Disney when they were in the last few stages of the merger. I imagine the characters would have been drawn very much like your representations. Here's the article from Animation Magazine 19 years ago.

I can't wait to see your version of Peter Pan. :smile:

Amy

Reaction score
Funny thing, I ADORED Muppet Babies when I was a kid. Absolutely my favourite cartoon, along with Astro Boy.

But again, no, I don't use Muppet Babies as reference. They're their own thing.
My reference materials:
* Muppet Show DVDs - I use these with a grain of salt because in these early seasons, the main cast are still kind of evolving. But Kermit is pretty set, so the shows are great for him
*Miss Piggy's Guide to Life
*several vintage copies of Muppet Magazine, salvaged from my husband's bedroom - my in-law's home is a bit of a time capsule. The Captain Eo basball cap and keychain I also rescued just suddenly got a lot more precious.
*Jim Henson Works
*Palisades Action figures - invaluable for Electric Mayhem costume detail, holy cow!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, I ADORED Muppet Babies when I was a kid. Absolutely my favourite cartoon, along with Astro Boy.

But again, no, I don't use Muppet Babies as reference. They're their own thing.
My reference materials:
* Muppet Show DVDs - I use these with a grain of salt because in these early seasons, the main cast are still kind of evolving. But Kermit is pretty set, so the shows are great for him
*Miss Piggy's Guide to Life
*several vintage copies of Muppet Magazine, salvaged from my husband's bedroom - my in-law's home is a bit of a time capsule. The Captain Eo basball cap and keychain I also rescued just suddenly got a lot more precious.
*Jim Henson Works
*Palisades Action figures - invaluable for Electric Mayhem costume detail, holy cow!
That explains your pitch-perfect Piggy. Guide to Life is perfect. I especially like that fold in the ears that grew rabbit-like years later.

Without disclosing any characters you've actually been including in Pan, can you tell us which ones of the newer cast members you're most keen on drawing? Pepe, Clifford, Johnny Fiama...?

The Muppet Babies get a bad rap from old fans like me because basically for a long time - that's all the Muppety goodness we had. I enjoyed it for a season, but the animation quality and squeaky voices eventually caused me to tune out. I remember seeing a Muppets Take Manhattan exibit in Central Park in the 80s that included a behind the scenes look at the puppetry. Once I saw that it kind of spoiled me for how good that property could look. The cartoon had it's own magic, but never quite met the mark in my mind.

Amy

Reaction score
can you tell us which ones of the newer cast members you're most keen on drawing? Pepe, Clifford, Johnny Fiama...?
Erm.. none of them?
I've said it before, I'm just not much of a fan of stuff made after Jim died. I'm more a Henson fan than a fan of everything Muppety, so I prefer to stick to the pre-1991 catalogue. No offense intended to anybody, of course, that's just my personal preference.
Whom I'm drawing in Pan is, of course, entirely up to Grace. If I ever get a chance to write something for Muppets, though, I wouldn't include post-1990 characters.

I think Muppet Babies still remains one of the best-quality TV cartoons made in the 80's. It was fun, it played with the idea of their imaginations and the songs were very catchy. It still stands up just fine, like the Disney cartoons of the same period.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Erm.. none of them?
I've said it before, I'm just not much of a fan of stuff made after Jim died. I'm more a Henson fan than a fan of everything Muppety, so I prefer to stick to the pre-1991 catalogue. No offense intended to anybody, of course, that's just my personal preference.
Whom I'm drawing in Pan is, of course, entirely up to Grace. If I ever get a chance to write something for Muppets, though, I wouldn't include post-1990 characters.

I think Muppet Babies still remains one of the best-quality TV cartoons made in the 80's. It was fun, it played with the idea of their imaginations and the songs were very catchy. It still stands up just fine, like the Disney cartoons of the same period.
Really? None of the new ones? I do like both, but I get it. As long as you include plenty of Scooter I'm happy! So what classic characters do you most like drawing? Forgotten characters you'd include in a comic book if it were up to you? :confused: