Muppet fic: Once in a Lifetime

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... The reality pageant with Piggy proves to be interesting, I'm trying to imagine the various little girls mentioned. *Wonders if Pepper's father is employed as a ladder-carrying handyreptile And then there are the potential acts for the actual Muppet Show sans Gaga. I kinda like the bit where Gonzo jhad the chance to go through his idea catalogue with someone listening in full to give him true feedback. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hopefully you have decent images of three of the girls: the cockatoo, the kitten, and the lizard. The others will come in time. I don't get the bit about her father being a handyreptile. SST reference?

Heh, Gonzo had a great time describing his ideas to Scooter. He may have been deliberately throwing dumb ideas at him to soften him up for the good one, the way he does with Kermit, but I'm certain that he gets so into it that his pitches themselves are performance art.

Kermit and Scooter could put Gonzo in his place by greenlighting has acts. All of them. After all, they have a lot of time to fill!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I can imagine all the kids. The kitten, dunno what color fur you're going with for her, I'll just think of a white-gray kitten for now. The spaniel I have because of the ending of Lady and the Tramp, the cockatoo from a trip my family made once to the San Diego Zoo, the lizard and sheep are other easy ones... Julie, I'm thinking of a pink Muppet monster. Luckily enough one exists, named Tutie from The Ghost of Faffner Hall, though that could be Julie's mom instead.

The handyreptile reference? Bill the Lizard from Wonderland. Sorry, but the fact you named his daughter Pepper just made me think of the Duchess's kitchen/home where the black powder flew fast and freely.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I like this chapter, it's nice to see that Scooter and Janken were able to find a nice ring for themselves at the jewelry shop. Plus the image of Janken crawling into the salad bar is really funny. Thanks for sharing!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Janken actually does behave himself at Jason's Deli; he just can't get over the salad bar. It's like a garden where everything ripens at once! Silly herbivore.

I wonder if anyone will catch onto the children's names?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I know this probably isn't what you were hinting at, but...

Duffy: Duffy Duck, one of Alfred Duck's many aliases from his appearances on SST.
Julie: Julie Andrews, who has had at least one SST special, as well as other Muppet specials/appearances.
Kate: Kate Monster, though you already have Katherine Monster as the head of the TMI.
Molly: Molly the Mail Lady from SST Season 3, portrayed by Charlotte Rae, who most everybody else in TVLand knows better as Mrs. Edna Garrett from The Facts of Life.
Pepper: Pepper Piper, the Piper Family pet dog, from that SST News Flash sketch where Kermit ended up reporting from the pepper patch owned by Peter Piper's huge family.
Tessie: Tessie Twiddlebug.

Yeah, I know I'm a Sesame seed sometimes. :fanatic:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ha! No, the girls' names don't come from Sesame Street. I won't say there's no connection, because Sesame Street seems to be connected to everything one way or another.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I am not here. Very obviously, I am not here. I'm either sleeping or sleeping, or possibly writing, because I'd still like to meet that 50,000 word goal for November no matter how sick I've been. But regardless, I'm not here.

But really, the primary reason I'm not here is because I haven't actually read the vast majority of what you've posted here. I really only came on MC to check a spelling thing about names that came up in conversation elsewhere, and... yeah. Happened to see, hey, wait, there's a Slackbot story thing... And I skimmed some of the first few paragraphs of the first chapter. And I needed to post to tell you that I laughed hysterically at the cheap plot device and the repairing of the fourth wall. And being that I've been too tired to support my own body weight for most of the past week and a half, and I'm probably around 15,000 words behind schedule for that 50,000 word goal I mentioned... I really needed that laugh. And you kept making me laugh more, with the same joke. So, thank you.

I will read the rest of the story, aside from the wonderful fourth-wall repair, probably in December when I am healthy and not trying to do National Novel Writing Month.

The fourth wall repair may merit re-reading before then. :coy: And now... back to pretending I have a plot... or napping. Napping is good too.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Awww. *Leaves one of the coffee cake muffins for Lisa. Unfortunately they have no coffee in them to wake her up despite being called coffee cakes.
What'd ya want... It's a muffin. :zany: