Muppet Fanfic: Something worth waiting for

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Leyla said:
Short answer... yes... but not so intensively as to abandon my writing, which I'm working on now.
To which your fan base says "Yea!!!" whiles waving their arms about their heads.

Feel like I'm doing a lousy job of pointing out the totally remarkable things you are doing with the language, but others are making many of my points for me. Sorry--will be more of a well-rounded human being once school starts.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Aims muffin cannons at Bo instead. Leyla's come through with a great chapter. So I think we oughta target some other wayward authors here.

PS: Ru, if you want in on the thing, PM me and we can talk off the boards.

green stuff

Reaction score
Wow...Leyla, I just...ohhhh, man, this is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE so great!! Now see what you've gone and done? You've left me speechless! Oh well..more please!

Leyla

Reaction score
Whew, okay! Under threat of penguins and who knows what Lisa would have done to me, I've got another chapter up for you. Enjoy! <crosses fingers>

Green stuff: Thanks so much! Glad you liked it! I'm liking your story too!

Ed: Don't shoot, it's here!

Ruahnna: Oh, you! <<<<hugs>>> You've been nothing but kindness itself, so thanks very much. I hope you like this chapter... it's been a while since I've written the frog. I love turning the tables on him too... and he's so much fun when there's something under his collar... and Piggy spends a lot of effort getting under there. :stick_out_tongue:

Beau: <hugs back> Thanks so much, Mr. Regard. The muppets are the life, absolutely... I'm glad that reached you, especially since you were very much inspirational during that chapter. The photo album... will be back.

Prawnie: Thank you! <big cuddles>

Ed: I wouldn't count the album as revenge... more like therapy. So glad you liked it though, and the phone call as well. Kermit and Piggy haven't interacted nearly enough in this story... but I'm biased. I'll have to speak to the author.

Toga: <beams> Kermit is definately doing some serious thinking in this chapter, and he'll soon be a lot more involved than he has been so far... ah, well, you've got me talking again. You've got a knack for that! <giggles> Well, I'll go ahead and post now, as I wouldn't want to keep you waiting.
Oh, and glad you liked the references... I liked the stories!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Kermit stood for a minute, holding the phone, listening to it buzz musically in what passed as his ear.

Piggy had hung up on him.

Long years of… er, association with the porcine diva had taught Kermit never to assume he understood what she had done, what she was doing, or what she was going to do next… but still!

He hadn’t really expected that…

…and he didn’t understand it.

The annoyance of it faded very quickly as he compared his years of experience of her demeanor with her demeanor during the few minutes of their phone call. Uneasy thoughts began spinning wildly in his head. Piggy hadn’t sounded like herself. At first, Kermit suspected she was merely angry about their earlier fight, which would have explained her being stand-offish and not wanting to talk to him the other day, but that theory didn’t hold water. Piggy had been nervous, not angry, and then she’d hung up on him.

Miss Piggy had actually hung up on him!

Another wave of astonishment hit him and faded down through irritation to anxiety. No, Kermit couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong back home.

And he was thousands of miles away from being able to help… or even to be able to just to go through it with them. His gentle heart sunk somewhere down near the vicinity of his flippers.

“No,” he declared firmly to the empty room, “This is important, and I’m not going to let her keep me out of this.”

Resolute, Kermit picked up the phone again, and steeled himself for some serious Piggy prying. A sudden thought gave him pause. He’d told them he trusted them to handle anything, Fozzie and Rowlf and Scooter, and if he just barged back in and tried to do a little long distance crisis management, he’d really be telling them that he didn’t actually trust them. Rowlf and Scooter might understand, but Fozzie was a nut of a different sort, and might take it personally.

Kermit did trust them after all.

All three of them had good hearts and good minds and, most importantly, they were together. The only one who was facing anything alone right now was him.

Kermit sighed… it was much better to face things together, and he wanted desperately to know what had Piggy so flustered.

Maybe it wasn’t anything serious. Maybe he was overreacting, trying a little too hard to read Piggy’s mind. Normally, he was sensible enough not to try.

Then again, Piggy rarely got flustered, unless she was out to fluster someone else, and Kermit knew well enough who her favorite target was.

Kermit sighed, wavering back and forth between two choices, his hand once again resting on the phone and his only physical connection with his family. “What to do, what to do…” Before he’d settled entirely on a course of action, or inaction, the hotel room clock sounded, surprising him.

“Oh!” Kermit moved quickly and shut it off. He had set it earlier with the help of a hotel employee to remind him of about when the show ended with the time difference. “Whoops, must have mixed up the time diff-”

Kermit’s mouth fell open as a lightning bolt of understanding started synapses sparking and flashing in his head.

That’s why it was so quiet.

Piggy was alone in the boarding house; alone, because everyone else was out at the theatre, where she herself should have been. The vague and nameless worry plaguing Kermit sharpened rapidly and skittered viciously along his nerves as uncertainty gave way to absolute clarity.

There was something wrong, something wrong with Piggy, and it was wrong enough to keep her off the stage. Kermit firmly swallowed back a wave of genuine fright. He also let go of the phone.

“Alright Piggy.” He whispered into the soullessly cheerful hotel room. “I’ll let you handle it your way, for now.” If she wanted to keep whatever was going on away from him right now, that was her prerogative... but he would be back home soon enough, and Kermit knew that real secrets were in short supply in their little family.

He decided he would not call back again that night. That decision made, Kermit prepared himself for bed, pausing only briefly to make a quick note for himself.

Tomorrow, he was going to do everything in his power to watch the show that he had missed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“What do you want?” the living symbol of American values demanded moodily as Gonzo tracked after him out of the theatre.

“Oh, c’mon Sam, just give me a chance here! I know that didn’t go very well, but it wasn’t my fault.” Gonzo considered Sam’s severe expression and reconsidered his approach. “That was my very first try at being completely dull on stage! You’ve had years of experience!”

Sam glared at him and walked a bit faster. The eagle preferred to walk home rather than hitch a ride with the gadabouts and weirdoes that swarmed the theatre and the boarding house. Gonzo was not about to let him escape this night.

“Please, Sam. I think… I think you’re right about all this safety-”

“-And dignity. Safety, and dignity. That’s the American way,” he said with no little bit of pride.

Gonzo let out a little whoop when he realized that he was getting through. Sam frowned at him again… well, in fact, the eagle had not stopped frowning since he had first approached him well before the show. Still, somehow Sam managed to emphasize his frown, making it particularly frowny.

The reformed, or rather, reforming daredevil stood up a little straighter and tried to look like a good American citizen. “Sorry. I love the American way, really! Those speeches you do are really-“

Now he really had Sam’s attention. “Inspirational?”

“Well, no…”

“Noble?”

“Not exactly…”

“Patriotic?” he asked, putting a particular lilt on the word.

“Hysterical!” Gonzo finished triumphantly.

If it were only possible, Sam’s face would have become even frownier. “I do not believe this.” He said quietly to himself, though it was easily loud enough for Gonzo to hear.

“Oh. Sam, I meant that as a compliment!”

“You would,” the eagle snapped contemptuously, before ducking into a payphone and firmly shutting the door.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Gonzo called, tapping the Plexiglas.

“I am calling a cab, you degenerate.” Sam informed him stiffly.

“Why would you call a cab “you degenerate?” the little blue fellow wondered, but the eagle had turned a rigid back to him. “But I need your help to make the Muppet Show safer! And have you seen where we live?”

Gonzo let out a melancholy little sigh. “I just wanted to undo some of the harm I caused.” Giving up on his hopes of recruiting a partner, he turned away to make his way back the boarding house.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Well Leyla, you certainly deserve a nice detailed review... And I was just about to begin the quoting process... and I realized, I wanted to quote EVERYTHING... and I just don't have the energy... Especially with the alarm going off at 5:30 tomorrow morning...

So let's see. Diction is incredible, of course. "Buzz musically," "what passed as his ear..." Lovely lovely. Repitition of her hanging up on him. Like it. Kermit's entire thought process is beautiful. That lightening in brain thing you described... know the feleing. Er... the feeling. I don't know what a feleing is. And Kermit worrying about making Fozzie, Rowlf and Scooter think he doesn't trust them- especially Fozzie... very touching, very sweet, very true, very Kermit. Your description of his worry right after he figures out the time zone thing was incredible. And his genuine fright. And letting her do things her way- for now. Curious about the next phone call. And I'm wondering how much more he'll figure out when he sees the show tomorrow.

As for Gonzo and Sam, I love how Gonzo, with all his attempts to be safe, still completely clashes with Sam. I love your descriptions of how frowny Sam's frown was. That whole scene is pretty darned funny, until that last line, which of course hits extra hard because of the comedy before it. I love that.

MORE PLEASE!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Ahem--things that made my day brighter, by Ru:

"His gentle heart sunk somewhere down near the vicinity of his flippers." What a very nice and very apt description of Kermit.

"The only one who was facing anything alone right now was him."
Very often, people who are in crisis themselves think only of unburdening themselves so THEY feel better. It is a self-less and insightful person who thinks not only of what will make THEM feel better, but what is BEST for the loved one.

"He had set it earlier with the help of a hotel employee to remind him of about when the show ended with the time difference." (Thank goodness I'm not the only one who can't set a hotel clock. In fact, I just got the clock on my car changed back to the right time from daylight savings time--just in time for the next change coming up!)

"The vague and nameless worry plaguing Kermit sharpened rapidly and skittered viciously along his nerves as uncertainty gave way to absolute clarity."
Loved skittered.

"That was my very first try at being completely dull on stage! You’ve had years of experience!”
Ahh, yes. Gonzo must be a Sagittarius, no?

"Sam frowned at him again… well, in fact, the eagle had not stopped frowning since he had first approached him well before the show. Still, somehow Sam managed to emphasize his frown, making it particularly frowny."
Doncha just love Sam and his puritanical soul?

“Oh. Sam, I meant that as a compliment!”
“You would,” the eagle snapped contemptuously, before ducking into a payphone and firmly shutting the door.
Shades of Superman! (Leyla--does he come out wearing a big "S" on his chest?)

green stuff

Reaction score
Wow! Leyla! You've done it again! This portion of the story most certainly needs a more detailed review, but unfortunately, I've lost a least half a pound today wasting away at this computer trying to polish chapter four of my own story...so i'll give you a great one tomorrow! Anyway, yaay! I have to say, you're really doing a great job here, and I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to more!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good job Leyla... You're certainly earning your corporal stars.
Ditto to Ruahnna's post, she quoted two of the lines I liked the very most from this last chapter.

Though the line about Kermit's heart sinking down to the vecinity of his flippers was the better of the two.
And the line about how Kermit's nervous worry got worse... Loved that line for "plagued".
Mmm, gives it a nice eerie pit-of-stomach feeling.

Interaction between Sam and Gonzo, great, especially how Gonzo kept muddling his efforts in recruiting or winning Sam to his cause.
Post more... Soon, please?
*Aims cannons over at Greenstuff and Ru.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Leyla, Leyla, Leyla, I'm here! I'm here!! LOVELY chapter! Sam with Gonzo is; to quote Gonzo; "Hysterical!" Hehe, I love it! Keep it up! (((HUGS)))

Leyla

Reaction score
Thanks muchly everyone! <<<<<<HUGS>>>>> all around!

Hmm... okay, this is an official teddy alert. I think I can safely upgrade that, in fact, to a melodrama alert. There's really nothing of comedy here... so prepare yourselves before reading further.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Piggy had been more than a little shaken up by Kermit’s unexpected phone call, and she wanted to steady her nerves before the mob returned. They would be even madder than usual, and she just wasn’t feeling up to them yet.

In times of stress, Piggy often turned to mindless, yet involving routine to distract her. Often, this meant fussing with her hair or her make up. Sometimes, when she primped publicly, it irritated those around her, particularly Kermit, who thought she wasn’t taking things seriously, but… there was something soothing about being able to control how she looked. Even if she could control nothing else, her hair was hers, and, with her extensive experience in modeling, television and movies, she could order it around to her exact demands.

Nothing else around her was so co-operative.

Piggy did return to her room and settled herself in front of her vanity. She stared into her own reflected eyes and frowned at her pale skin and listless expression. “If you think I’m going to let you get away with looking like something Animal dragged in, you don’t know Miss Piggy at all.” She spoke aloud, calling up some of her natural fire and nodding in muted approval at her reflection’s increased liveliness.

Satisfied with at least that little bit of progress, now Miss Piggy glared haughtily into the mirror, before adding, sweetly, “And it’s a good thing no one’s caught me talking to you or they’d haul me away.” She lowered her eyes and a wry smile curved her lips, “And then, they’d haul me straight back here when they couldn’t find anywhere crazier.” She shook her head and frowned at her reflection. “Don’t give me that look! Moi am not going crazy. In this place, if anything, moi am going stark, raving sane.”

Leaving go of her momentary lapse in sanity, she turned her attention to more serious matters. Pulling out a tiny pair of snipping scissors, Piggy carefully clipped away the bandage for the last time. She’d been told it could be removed after twenty-four hours, but she’d had more than enough of it to want to wait any longer. The bandage on her ear was best left on, or, barring that, re-covered with band-aids until the stitches could be removed, roughly in a week’s time. Piggy had already made an appointment to go in to her general practitioner.

She meant to be looking as close to normal as possible by the time Kermit came home.

It was with great satisfaction that the blonde let the bandages drop airily into her wastebasket before returning to her reparations. She frowned, with a clinical air, at the wreck they’d made of her head, studying it the way Steven Hawking looked over scientific formulae and Bunsen looked over plans for a wildly dangerous, Beaker-frazzling invention.

They had, at least, tried to spare as much as they could… the problem with those efforts was that the comb-over look was so not going to be the next fashion craze, even if a trendsetter like herself tried to get it working. Piggy was going to have to cut it short to even it out in the end… but perhaps she could pin it to hide the shaved spot until enough of it had grown out for her to style it short.

Giving a quick look over her various styling implements, Piggy selected a strong pick and began ruthlessly working the tangles out, tip to root in order to avoid damaging her locks. Tomorrow she would wash and condition it properly, but for now she settled for a few squirts of her favorite leave-in conditioner. It was soothing, the physical motion of the brush, the muscles working in her arm, and even the occasionally painful tug. It was a return to normalcy for Piggy and for the first time since the accident, she began to feel like herself.

Yes... she was fine.

With the worst of the tangles wrestled into submission, Piggy switched to a brush to tackle the fine little knots that had tried to evade her swift fingers. As she worked, her mind cast back over Kermit’s phone call, what he’d said, how he’d said it… looking as always for those subtle currents of caring burrowed in casual comments. It was good to hear that soulful voice again, so mellow and gentle and calm and… and Kermity.

Tears filled her eyes all of a sudden, catching her off guard as her heart gave a painful lurch. Piggy brushed faster as the drops tracked down her face and tickled her chin before falling away. She let them roll, unchecked.

There was no one to see.

How she missed Kermit! Piggy began to tremble and shake as grief took hold of her fully, soundless sobs seizing her as did thoughts of her frog. She clung tightly to her brush. He, she was sure, would have made things better; Kermie always did. Now, though, he was so far away and everything seemed to have fallen apart. She felt strangely separated from him in spirit, and it was by her badly kept secret, rather than by the meaningless numbers of miles. Part of her wished that he had been there, even to see the accident and what it had done to her.

At, least then, she would know.

There would be no reason for hiding things if he’d only had the decency to be there when that thing had come crashing down. She was lying on the floor like a rag doll while he had been off gallivanting around Europe, probably having the time of his life. How dare he?!

No… that wasn’t fair.

Piggy tried to stifle her unheard anguish with anger, but she just couldn’t work up enough to do it. She wanted her frog too badly at that moment to be angry at him, even if she’d had a legitimate reason. Perhaps, when he got home, it would be alright. Perhaps she could keep it from him, or maybe, if he did find out, perhaps Kermit wouldn’t see her weakness as yet another excuse to put distance between them.

He was her friend, after all… right?

Piggy raised her head and looked blearily into her own red-rimmed eyes. So much for her pep talk. Things hadn’t been going well for them, even before Kermit left, even before she’d had her head knocked in. They’d been arguing, more than usual, sometimes fiercely, and those treasured moments of tenderness that she lived for had been few and very far between of late.

Maybe this would be the last straw.

Maybe Kermit would finally get tired of her.

A terrible thought made its way out of her distraught mind, and as it hit, she threw down the brush and buried her head into her arms against the desk, weeping and trying desperately to regain control.

Maybe, it was time to finally let him go, before he could do it first.

Her stomach twisted with nausea at the thought, but it niggled and teased and tormented her, crawling over her skin and making her want to curl up into a ball. Piggy was frightened, trapped by her own blithe assurances that everything was alright, and her fight or flight reflexes were beginning to kick in, violently.

Perhaps it would be better… to let him go, before he had the chance to really say goodbye.
------------------------------------------------------------------------