Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
::Begin Sarcasm::
I think he had a great idea! This way when MR releases a shoddy gonzo, they end up with a warehouse full of opened, returned merchandise. PLUS they lose money on shipping and processing. Its pretty brilliant. They'll think twice before skimping on fozzie (if they continue the line after what will forever be known as "MuppetCapers Great Gonzo Coup")
::End Sarcasm::

Its just to me...and I don't know about you guys. Pictures just don't do anything justice until you have it in your hands. I was kinda of doubtful about Animal and now that I got him here, I think he looks awesome, with a little help from the local fabric store. I just re-did his eyebrows.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/tsmert/AnimalEDITSmall.jpg

Davina

Reaction score
ooh.. that does look good.. what did you use?
Still debating if we can afford Animal right now.. we were waiting to see what he'd look like, then turns out it's been a weird weird week (basically, our bank account got pilfered... though it is getting fixed and we should get all the funds back, which is good as i had just mailed the house payment... sheesh...) so i'm not sure what we'll be doing..
we're taking await and see approach with Gonzo as well.. while the current proto does look better then the earlier nose, we're waiting for final word and decent photos... (and saving for Fozzie....)
we've just opted to not judge the final product by the official photos... or by my inabilty to pose them as nicely as i'd like.. takes a lot of practise that does..
ah well, we shall see what he looks like in a few months...

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I went to Joann's fabric's and looked in there Fur section. Wow, I did not know they had so much to offer. And found the longest black fur I can find and bought about $2.00 worth of it, got the glue they recommend and I cut off the fur pieces off of the backing. You know the strands of fur and then I covered the eyeball's with masking tape so I didn't get no glue on them then I put the glue all the way around one eyelid then got tweesers and gently and carefully put then on till I got the right look I wanted. It took a little time, but it was well worth it as you can see. Now I am going to begin working with that messed up mustache of his. It is out of control and needs to be tamed unlike himself! LOL :halo:

Davina, you will love him when you get him. As for Gonzo, I am looking at it like you and Frogboy are. We don't have offical pictures yet and all we can do is wait. I totally agree with you both!

goodrastus

Reaction score
Excellent job with the eyelids/eyebrows MuppetCaper! That looks terrific. Well, I'm a bit slow in regards to collecting these guys as I only got Kermit last week and I was a bit overwhelmed when I opened the box. I agree the "official" photos do these little justice but I think that once pics are posted on here, opinions DO change. After seeing what some of you have done with Animal, I'm ready to order him in the next day or two. And now that I've seen the success with covering the plastic eyelids, well that practically settles it.

I do think MR are doing a great job so far but I have to agree with others. I will be saving up for Gonzo but will wait until I see pics on here until I order him. Once I see the final pics and some great poses it really does make a difference. Mind you, having said that, I won't be hesitating with Fozzie!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
What MR are releasing is the best we are gonna get. Period. It's up to the individual whether they buy them or not. I, and it seems MuppetCaper, feel that these are nice, good quailty Muppet releases that we want in our collections. If you buy one, you will have a limited edition Muppet poser, if not you will miss out. It's that simple. MR won't be recalling or re-releasing these at a later date just because a few people complain that they are not "spot on". It is impossible for everyone to get exactly what they want unless they make it themselves or find someone to make it for them.

Luke

Reaction score
What MR are releasing is the best we are gonna get. Period. It's up to the individual whether they buy them or not. I, and it seems MuppetCaper, feel that these are nice, good quailty Muppet releases that we want in our collections. If you buy one, you will have a limited edition Muppet poser, if not you will miss out. It's that simple. MR won't be recalling or re-releasing these at a later date just because a few people complain that they are not "spot on". It is impossible for everyone to get exactly what they want unless they make it themselves or find someone to make it for them.
You have completely the wrong attitude, Muppet fans should never settle for shoddy product. The company has shown they are capable of doing better (even with Gonzo) and know the way they are doing this is not how it really should be done. It's not a "few" people complaining, they know themselves. If everyone jumps at it and signs up anyway, what kind of message does it send? You have to be joking about how people could miss out on these, they had a hard enough time shifting Kermit so i can't see this flying out the doors. If Gonzo comes out like this it will not be a Ltd Edition Muppet Poser, it'll be a giant plush toy - these are supposed to be near enough "spot on" but this just isn't slightly off, it's very poor. I get the fact that people want to be "cheerleaders" for these for some reason but they might regret it later when they realise this is about the time you would have a final prototype and it may come with a completely innacurate top lip and a sock nose with a seam up it - and poor sales of that could mean no more replicas. I get the point about how you can wait for the final product, but i'm 100% sure that if they had a better version ready to go they would have shown it to get the pre-orders in.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
One can still support the line while encouraging improvements-

What MR are releasing is the best we are gonna get. Period...It's that simple. MR won't be recalling or re-releasing these at a later date just because a few people complain that they are not "spot on".
But if the current Muppet replicas they release, like Gonzo, aren't received well it is likely that there won't be any more after him. It's hard enough getting this type of high-end product to sell-through when it is near-perfect. Kermit still has lingering units yet to be sold a year later. :eek:

It's not that everybody expects them to be spot on. But when there's a piece central to the character - like Gonzo's nose - that is quite off in shape and material, there is cause for concern.

The Kermit poser is stunningly beautiful, 99% accurate in my opinion. Animal is about 98%. I honestly didn't expect him to look nearly as good as he does! These, so far, have been the best Muppet product ever. But the issues with Gonzo have been dragging on. He is hands-down my life-long favorite character. :concern:

We know that MR does watch this forum sometimes and has been known to take note of some comments here and there. My years around these forums and being associated with Muppet product have taught me that Muppet fans are a fickle bunch. It bewilders me sometimes too.

I'll be getting Gonzo either way. I've stated that in several posts. That doesn't mean forum members shouldn't encourage the best possible product. The sock-nose isn't very attractive. I'll be starring at my Gonzo for years to come. I'd rather they use a better material. I know there are many options. :smile:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
You have completely the wrong attitude, Muppet fans should never settle for shoddy product. The company has shown they are capable of doing better (even with Gonzo) and know the way they are doing this is not how it really should be done. It's not a "few" people complaining, they know themselves. If everyone jumps at it and signs up anyway, what kind of message does it send? You have to be joking about how people could miss out on these, they had a hard enough time shifting Kermit so i can't see this flying out the doors. If Gonzo comes out like this it will not be a Ltd Edition Muppet Poser, it'll be a giant plush toy - these are supposed to be near enough "spot on" but this just isn't slightly off, it's very poor. I get the fact that people want to be "cheerleaders" for these for some reason but they might regret it later when they realise this is about the time you would have a final prototype and it may come with a completely innacurate top lip and a sock nose with a seam up it - and poor sales of that could mean no more replicas. I get the point about how you can wait for the final product, but i'm 100% sure that if they had a better version ready to go they would have shown it to get the pre-orders in.
I'm refering to the fact that if certain people don't buy this particular replica they will never own an officially licensed replica of that character because they will not come round again. I was not refering to how quickly they would sell. However, poor sales of these replicas, whatever the reason may be, might just be seen as the Muppets are no longer popular enough to release this type of merchandise for!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
But if the current Muppet replicas they release, like Gonzo, aren't received well it is likely that there won't be any more after him. It's hard enough getting this type of high-end product to sell-through when it is near-perfect. Kermit still has lingering units yet to be sold a year later. :eek:

It's not that everybody expects them to be spot on. But when there's a piece central to the character - like Gonzo's nose - that is quite off in shape and material, there is cause for concern.

The Kermit poser is stunningly beautiful, 99% accurate in my opinion. Animal is about 98%. I honestly didn't expect him to look nearly as good as he does! These, so far, have been the best Muppet product ever. But the issues with Gonzo have been dragging on. He is hands-down my life-long favorite character. :concern:

We know that MR does watch this forum sometimes and has been known to take note of some comments here and there. My years around these forums and being associated with Muppet product have taught me that Muppet fans are a fickle bunch. It bewilders me sometimes too.

I'll be getting Gonzo either way. I've stated that in several posts. That doesn't mean forum members shouldn't encourage the best possible product. The sock-nose isn't very attractive. I'll be starring at my Gonzo for years to come. I'd rather they use a better material. I know there are many options. :smile:
I will be getting Gonzo too because I enjoy collecting Henson and Muppet related memorabilia. I just think the people who won't be buying these replicas might regret in years to come when they realise, even tho they are not perfect, they are as close to the real thing as will ever be released. I would love to see 100% authentic looking replicas but Kermit, being the first released, is not 100% accurate and they not likely to release him again any better. So what do I do? Pout because he isn't as good as he could be and don't buy or buy and enjoy him for what he is? I think you know my answer.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I get your perspective on it...

I just don't see why it has to be one or the other - a perfect product or an underwhelming one?

Gonzo doesn't appear to be anywhere near the quality of the other three replicas. If there's a possibility for a better result than the one that has been presented why not voice that? I love the Muppets, but I sign a blank check over to no one. I have found that most Muppet fans I have met here and elsewhere have a similar mindset when it comes to products.

These are cool and one-of-a-kind. They're also very (and understandably) expensive. If not made in a way that invites enough buyers it could sour other companies from wanting to create Muppet items.

Muppet Central and other forums have a history of inspiring product improvements. That's mainly what's being said here. If a better Gonzo could be achieved, wouldn't you support that? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.