Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Criticism is helpful if well stated and received.

Heck, people were much more rabid about getting the $9-12 Palisades figures accurate and coming with all of the expected accessories. I don't find it unreasonable to critique any part of a $200-400 product. I understand the price point, but along with it should come the deep desire of the company producing it to keep its customers happy and coming back. :smile:

There simply is no Ken over at Master Replicas. That's the point. It's not a matter of having a limited number or employees and I don't think there's a lack of caring either. But a Ken Lilly type doesn't come around everyday. They should - it can help. But most people just don't have whatever he has in them. :cool:

There are practical solutions to this. As I said, weekly feedback or a place to voice concerns where some sort of response is considered and acknowledged would greatly help. I just don't know if there is anyone who can step in those shoes. Few companies have such a person.

MR is great and has a wonderful product, but I can't help but feel that simple things like eye-focus on a $400 item could be remedied before production. :wink:

chequepoint

Reaction score
Ken used criticism and the hyper-intelligent and creative nature of this licenses fanbase to generate free R&D, quality control, and marketing.

I also like to think that Ken Lilly would have been smart enough to not make products that he couldn't produce properly. Can't do foam, can't do gonzo, onto the next character. You saw a lot of that with the palisades line, if they couldnt do it right, they'd do something else. Thats why it took so long to get sweetums.

MR is used to having enough idiots available to blindly buy the next lightsaber and helmet no matter what they put out that its not worth thinking about the fans.

My prediction.. MR has a very short period to produce a miracle that will replace their star wars cash cow, otherwise they are going to cash out on what licenses they have, as quickly as possible, and then corgi will absorb the loss.

Luke

Reaction score
I also like to think that Ken Lilly would have been smart enough to not make products that he couldn't produce properly. Can't do foam, can't do gonzo, onto the next character. You saw a lot of that with the palisades line, if they couldnt do it right, they'd do something else. Thats why it took so long to get sweetums.
Agreed, that is kinda how i feel. When they knew they couldn't do a decent Gonzo they should have bumped up Fozzie and give Terry more R&D time to sort out some kind of plastic/foam alternative for the nose, if at all. A poorly recieved Gonzo could affect there even being a Fozzie. Though i don't like to think of the line without Gonzo, i will not be purchasing it with a sock nose, but i would with a foam/foam substitute of some kind. That's why i'm kinda a bit anxious to hear this isn't the final solution, because i do actually want a Gonzo, but i don't want a toy.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Agreed, that is kinda how i feel. When they knew they couldn't do a decent Gonzo they should have bumped up Fozzie and give Terry more R&D time to sort out some kind of plastic/foam alternative for the nose, if at all. A poorly recieved Gonzo could affect there even being a Fozzie. Though i don't like to think of the line without Gonzo, i will not be purchasing it with a sock nose, but i would with a foam/foam substitute of some kind. That's why i'm kinda a bit anxious to hear this isn't the final solution, because i do actually want a Gonzo, but i don't want a toy.
That is EXACTLY how I feel. Thanks for stating it so well.

:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just a few more observations for what they're worth...

Ken used criticism and the hyper-intelligent and creative nature of this licenses fanbase to generate free R&D, quality control, and marketing.

MR is used to having enough idiots available to blindly buy the next lightsaber and helmet no matter what they put out that its not worth thinking about the fans.

My prediction.. MR has a very short period to produce a miracle that will replace their star wars cash cow, otherwise they are going to cash out on what licenses they have, as quickly as possible, and then corgi will absorb the loss.
Ken really has a can-do sprit that works out most of the time. I don't think he'd nix a character just because it was difficult to make. He'd keep bumping it until he found a way. Some of the figures had problems, but were usually factory issues and frequently occur in items of that type and price point. Palisades QC was actually above the bar. :cool:

About critiquing the photographs – well, if any images are to be released the proposed corrections should probably be addressed on the image or accompanying blurb in order to calm concerns. I do know that these are a hard sell at many collectibles stores. I’ve asked around. They are big, expensive and the pictures don’t inspire the confidence to want to order them or see them in person. I’m certain this hasn’t been easy for MR at all.

Sweetums’ figure took a while to make, but was bumped to the end of the line because his size. It caused shelving issues with stores. He just sat around awaiting release for a loooong time. I remember. It was frustrating to all who worked on him. Ken's a problem solver. He'd take something like this Gonzo or Sweetums as a challenge and see it through.

I remember when he revised the series two Gonzo sculpt. He asked for my alterations - and on that basis he chucked the entire sculpt and started back at square one. The team created an entirely new head. That's dedication above and beyond!

I'm certainly not saying that's the case with this replica. Gonzo’s problem is mainly his nose. I think they should always keep Terry's prototype in front of them as they make corrections. Maybe they should just chuck the entire nose/mouth/beak area and design it from the beginning using a light-weight plastic and designing for that medium. :concern:

I applaud Master Replicas for taking on this product. I just fear that if Gonzo is released as he appears now the line will be cut shorter than we would like. Anything I've ever said about the product has that in mind. I want these. All they could make. Even if they made a Clifford (one of my least fave Muppets) I'd get 'em. :smile:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I am not going to make any judgements on Gonzo till he is out for shipping. The last thing you can do if you do not like him is send him back for your full refund....the end. In the mean time, We will all just have to wait in five /six plus months till that time comes, and all hope for the best of him. :concern:

MWoO

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? So, you think we should pre-order him now even though he doesn't look good, not say anything, and then go through the trouble of sending him back in hopes of a full refund? You're joking right?

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I give up. I am not saying anymore cause this is a no win situation. It's all your guys.

chequepoint

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? So, you think we should pre-order him now even though he doesn't look good, not say anything, and then go through the trouble of sending him back in hopes of a full refund? You're joking right?
::Begin Sarcasm::
I think he had a great idea! This way when MR releases a shoddy gonzo, they end up with a warehouse full of opened, returned merchandise. PLUS they lose money on shipping and processing. Its pretty brilliant. They'll think twice before skimping on fozzie (if they continue the line after what will forever be known as "MuppetCapers Great Gonzo Coup")
::End Sarcasm::

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
MuppetCaper

Awww, I like that you're such a cheerleader for these Muppet replicas. I wish more people had that level of excitement and commitment to the line. That was not always the case as I remember. :embarrassed:

Personally, I think MR is extremely capable of making Gonzo (or any character of their choosing) correctly and in a way that will please the majority of us enough to purchase one. It would be cool to have him right than to feel the need to send him back or settle for something that looks like the item advertised on their website. There's a sizeable middle ground between totally dismissing the product and having blind faith in its eventual quality. :big_grin:

I do agree that these are prototype pictures. You never know what the final product will be. There is a unique opportunity here. MR should be taking it. Maybe some of the advice here isn't helpful, but it's neatly organized on the forum and it's free. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.