Little things we've noticed

cjd874

Reaction score
2 things:
First, anybody know why there were posters labeled with the numbers 2-9 on the garage doors in the arbor? I've always wondered about those. See the picture below.

Second, anyone else think that Don Music might be the most manic-depressive Sesame Street character? Think about how he goes from total frustration and self-loathing ("I'll never get it! NEVER!") to unbridled exuberance ("That's it! THIS IS MY BEST SONG EVER!") in mere minutes!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I think in Don’s case, it’s just him getting too over-excited because he really doesn’t plan out his song lyrics very well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
2 things:
First, anybody know why there were posters labeled with the numbers 2-9 on the garage doors in the arbor? I've always wondered about those. See the picture below.

If you pay attention, the whole garage was covered in number stickers back in those days; look next to 2, you'll see 9. Look behind Grover's head, you'll see 5 and 6. Look above 4, you'll see 8. Not pictured, but there should be 1 beside the 9.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I think in Don’s case, it’s just him getting too over-excited because he really doesn’t plan out his song lyrics very well.
Plus wasn’t Don Music, one of Richard first characters and we know him for being a big ham

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
So I just noticed “Ladybug’s Picnic” first aired in a season 4 episode despite being listed as a season 3 song through numerous other sources (the 35th special, the first old school volume DVD, etc), and even having the obvious 1971 year date listed.

I feel like this is probably going to be an obvious answer, but I assume this is a case of the song being delayed a season.
I am thinking that "Ladybug Picnic" was written during Season 3 and released in Season 4. Not sure when the song was recorded, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Probably wasn't a conscious decision, but last night I realized that it was rare for recurring characters performed by Frank Oz and Richard Hunt to appear together. Aside from them both performing members of the Twiddlebugs family, none of their characters were regular/semi-regular pairings. Of course there were a lot of sketches they both performed in, as one-time Anything Muppets/monsters, or maybe one of them did a recurring character while the other did not.

It is weird. Of course during the 1970s Richard Hunt didn't really have that many recurring characters, but I assume both Oz and Hunt were on set at the same frequency. In season 13, Richard Hunt started performing on a more full time basis, a few years before Oz's directorial career led to him performing less, but I think Hunt was on the set regularly enough that he could have been on the set during the dates when Oz was able to make it.

In terms of their regular characters appearing together, we got...:
  • Grover interacting with Sully in the three-part segment where Grover wants to glorify the number 2.
  • Sully being among the marching band Ernie brings into the apartment, Bert briefly acknowledges Sully by name, if that counts.
  • Grover and Don Music appear together in an American Revolution sketch.
  • Cookie Monster helps the Two-Headed Monster pick a vacation destination.
  • As I said before, multiple Twiddlebugs segments, with both performers getting a character.

And I think that's it. I wonder if they just never thought to have their characters appear together or if they wouldn't have much chemistry (I doubt it, though) or something else. I'm pretty sure Hunt and Oz didn't have any issues with each other, their Muppet Show characters often interacted and Oz often talks fondly of Hunt (and he said in his MuppetCast interview that when Hunt was near death he would visit him every day).

I can't remember if I've mentioned this here before or not, but as a matter of fact, it seems like Frank Oz also rarely performed his characters alongside the newer Muppet performers of the 1980s, at least not until the 1990s. Seems like his characters started to interact with Elmo in season 20, and in the 1990s his characters have had a bit more interaction with characters like Telly. During the 1980s it was often awesome when Jim Henson performed alongside the newer performers, and it seemed especially special if one of his recurring characters appeared alongside a recurring character of Kevin Clash, Martin Robinson, Brian Meehl, and others (it also seemed special when they would appear alongside Richard Hunt's newer characters like Forgetful Jones and Placedo Flamingo). It's a shame Oz's characters didn't appear with them as often.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I observed, through my vivid memory, plus looking at Muppet Wiki recaps, that new segments and sketches seem to debut on "Sesame Street" late in the season (March, April and May), at least during the 1970s and 1980s. Among the segments include "Disco D", "Cross it Out", "Crayon Animation Letter D", "Grover's Health Minute: Teeth", "Hello, Sammy!", "On Vacation with Guy Smiley" and "Kermit's Subtraction Lecture". They all debuted late in a season. I do not know of any segments that debuted early in a season.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
How early in the season is early?

I observed, through my vivid memory, plus looking at Muppet Wiki recaps, that new segments and sketches seem to debut on "Sesame Street" late in the season (March, April and May), at least during the 1970s and 1980s. Among the segments include "Disco D", "Cross it Out", "Crayon Animation Letter D", "Grover's Health Minute: Teeth", "Hello, Sammy!", "On Vacation with Guy Smiley" and "Kermit's Subtraction Lecture". They all debuted late in a season. I do not know of any segments that debuted early in a season.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I should note that the "Crayon Animation Letter D" segment was originally produced for "Canadian Sesame Street" (then known as "Sesame Street Canada") as early as 1980 or 1981, but farmed to the U.S. version in 1982. That segment made its U.S. debut on the Season 13 finale - in fact, it was the final segment before the final scene in that episode. The segment was more actively seen during Seasons 14 to 16, to say the least.

And minor, to answer your question about "early", I was referring to November or December in a classic season.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I should look, but I feel like there are a lot of new segments in the first two months of a season. The season 2 premier barely has anything from the first season (and then the next few episodes have a lot of first season repeats).