Learn Something New Everyday Thread

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Here's something for you @D'Snowth.

We all know that Sesame Street (1969)'s Big Bird has a teddy bear, "Radar", which was named after Gary's M*A*S*H (1972) character.

But what you may not know is:

Gary Burghoff gave it to Big Bird as a gift after visiting the "Sesame Street" set in the 1970s.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, I, surprisingly, had never heard that one before.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Everyone knows that Family Guy is an equal opportunity offender that has p*ssed off countless people but apparently one time, it even offended one of their own voice actors who appears in literally every episode yet: Patrick Warburton.

For those who aren't aware, Patrick is a very outspoken Christian who's strong in his beliefs. He claims that he normally doesn't care when they do jokes about religion and can always find some kind of satirical edge to those skits however there was one cutaway that really offended him.

He didn't specify what the cutaway was because he said that it bothered him so much, he doesn't even want to repeat it. Despite the lack of information, he did clarify that the joke was related to Jesus' death on the cross in one way or another but just left it at that and didn't give out any other details.

Patrick Warburton was quoted as saying to the show's staff,

"Please put that joke in a different f----ing episode that I'm not in. I don't want to be associated with that one scene whatsoever,".

Eventually the clip got canned anyway so he didn't have to worry about avoiding that particular episode like he had planned.

Patrick ended the article by saying that as much as he loves Family Guy, he occasionally changes the channel due to it being too blasphemous at times. Though he also stated that he would never consider leaving the show all together because they sometimes go too far (he then proceeded to sarcastically state Isaac Hayes leaving South Park for Scientology jokes as a negative example).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My state has ranked eight in the top 10 worst states to live in for 2019.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Neopets was originally going to be an adult humor site with a lot of cartoon blood instead of the kid's game that I grew up with. It's weird to find out that one of the highlights of my childhood was initially created to be a shock site :eek:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Neopets was originally going to be an adult humor site with a lot of cartoon blood instead of the kid's game that I grew up with. It's weird to find out that one of the highlights of my childhood was initially created to be a shock site :eek:
No it wasn't.

The site was originally built to be for teens/college students and was actually mostly a lot of pop culture jokes, like the neopets being designed/named after celebrities

It was never a shock site

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dr. Seuss disliked the animated adaptation of HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS! because he felt the animation style looked too much like, well, Chuck Jones's style, and that it deviated too much from his original illustrations.

It kind of makes sense when you think about it, and I don't doubt this is why De-Patie-Freleng animated other Dr. Seuss specials, since they seemed to stick more closely to Dr. Seuss's drawing style.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I already knew I shared my birthday with Paul Lynde and Tim Allen, but I learned that I also share it with the late Mary Wickes, as well as the Olsen twins, Kat Denning . . . and Bob McGrath!

Last edited: