Kermie's Girl (ushy-gushy fanfic)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Said this in another thread... But this is why I've come to entirely admire and yes, even swoon over your terrific tales, craving updates not unlike the Cookie Monster devouring platefuls of his hallmark treats.

"I'll Be Home for Christmas", was especially touching when you add the sentiments from Lisa's recent romp in the writing rotunda.
Kermit's scheming something... Should I be happy or concerned...
Janice's dress being outré... To quote the master Jerry Nelson, from the JHH episode/special The Secrets of the Muppets: "Yeah... But the thing you have to remember is that outré is in."
Whatever that means. *Floyd-like laugh.

Scribbler... What can I say, he's showing the fray of torture evident in his growing conscience at war with his sense of game employment.
I'm dreading what the tabloids will say next... But I'm anxiously expecting the debut of the next new act...
Hope for more soon.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 38: Dark men

Scribbler slumped into one of the pubs and sat at a stool at the far end of the bar. The waitress behind the counter took his muttered drink order without comment, but at least she did not offer the false cheeriness of some of the younger, more chirpy waitresses. The drink came and was almost immediately consumed. He raised one finger and the empty glass was replaced with a full one without comment. He was on his third when a conversation near the entrance caught his ear. Carefully, keeping his face averted, he leaned toward the familiar voices.
“You’re not going to disco tonight?” said a squeaky voice. “C’mon—we had a blast last night, right?”
Another voice responded. This one was gravelly and sounded more than a little down. “I don’t think so, Rizzo. I—I think I’m going to go watch some poker—maybe turn in early tonight.” There was a pregnant pause, and Scribbler knew without looking that some searching look was passing between the two speakers.
“Camilla’s not coming, huh?”
“What gave you that idea?” snapped the gravelly voice. “Can’t a guy just—oh, who am I kidding? She’s—she’s not going to come, said she had other plans. I don’t want to come and watch everybody else dance when I’ve been officially dumped.”
The raspy voice was subdued. “C’mon--what makes you think you’ve been dumped? I mean, she’s been mad at you before.”
“I don’t think she’s mad anymore. She…just doesn’t want to go out with me.”
“Oh, gee. I’m sorry, buddy. Are you sure?”
“Pretty sure. She was...she was nice to me, Rizzo. She just won’t, um, go out with me anymore.”
“Aw, hey c’mon,” squeaked the first voice. “Buck up, won’t ya?”
There was a long pause, then the squeaky voice muttered, “Um, sorry. But look, she’ll come around eventually, don’t you think?”
“Hope so.” The voice did not sound hopeful.
“Sure you don’t want to come? It’s not a couples only sort of thing.”
“I know, but I don’t feel like being around happy couples all the same.”
“Maybe you should stick around with Kermit and the Missus—they’ve been wound pretty tight lately.”
“Rizzo!”
“Oh, hey—that’s not what I meant,” Rizzo cried indignantly. He was quiet a moment. “But since you brought it up, I—I think they’ve been better here, you know? A little less pressure, a little less scrutiny here. I haven’t seen Kermit this happy in a long time.”
“Good for them,” said Gonzo grumpily. “Everybody else’s relationship seems to be going right down the toilet.”
“What are you talking about?” asked Rizzo. “I’m finally coming out of my slump.”
There was a deep, heartfelt sigh, and Scribbler heard what sounded like someone thumping someone else companionably on the back.
“Don’t mind me,” said the second voice. “Just something I overheard. I need to keep my mind out of the gossip mill.”
“Yeah, it’s too little to be swimming in all that muck.” Rizzo chortled at his own joke.
“Go dancing already,” said the second voice. “Just ignore me. I’m just, I’m just kindof blue.”
Rizzo thought about it. He thought about saying it so much that his whiskers twitched, but in the end he restrained himself.
“Okay, champ. Suit yourself. Come if you change your mind, okay? We’ll be dancing the night away down the block.”
After the two figures had departed in opposite directions, Scribbler stood up. He pulled out his room key and pocketed it reluctantly. He had looked forward to running up a big bar tab on his employer, but decided in an instant that he didn’t want his whereabouts—or his alcohol consumption—pinned down at the moment. He dropped a large bill on the bar, slid off his stool and followed the two characters to the door, staring after them thoughtfully. There was a look on his face that was somehow scary and pleased. It had not faded by the time he started out the door.
Watching him go was another thoughtful figure—the waitress who had delivered the drinks. She didn’t know this man, but it had looked for a moment like he was following Gonzo, and she was fairly certain that he had been eavesdropping on his previous conversation with Rizzo. She took the money and processed the slip absently, but her mind was unquiet. She wished this fellow had put the bill on his room, but she thought she might get a bead on him if she tried. And Mabel intended to try.

Sal inserted the little cardkey into the slot and waited for the green light to come one. Johnny was jingling change in his pocket and humming a little—My Way, of course—while he waited for the door to open. When the green light came on, Sal pushed open the door and they walked into the room. The lights came on as his hand was reaching for the light switch, and Sal let out a gasp as he found himself suddenly thrust protectively behind Johnny’s impeccably tailored form. Cowering, Sal heard Johnny begin to let out a breath in relief, and dared look up at the dark-coated men who were making themselves at home in their room.
Even though the others were closer, the man at the far end of the room in the recliner was commanding all the attention. He was a dark man, not too tall and sturdily built, but his expensive clothes and neat, long-fingered hands said he was more than just a man of action. His eyes were dark and darker in a dark, well-tanned face, and he lounged in the big recliner, occasionally tamping a big cigar. Hey, thought Sal indignantly. This is a no-smoking room, but he was, fortunately, unable to get the thought out of his throat. Two others men played cards—rummy, not poker—on one of the big beds and they seemed to fill the room with the size of their shoulders. One of the man had his coat off, and a gun was holstered over his shoulder. A big gun. Sal wished his knees would stop trembling, but Johnny seemed unconcerned. He walked up to the man behind the desk and touched his own forehead in deference while Sal watched with his mouth hanging open. Carefully he shut it, because Johnny Fiama had opened his own mouth to speak.
“You honor me,” he said. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”
The man with the big cigar waved in around in the air, spreading nasty fumes and a lot of blue smoke.
“You are welcome, Johnny. We have watched with interest your career, and wish to applaud you on your contributions to family entertainment.”
Johnny looked pleased, and tried hard to look modest. “I do what I can.”
“And now I am doing what I can,” said the man with the cigar, and Sal felt an involuntary shiver go up his spine.
Johnny spread his hands, clearly puzzled. “What can I do for you?”
“You misunderstand me,” said the elegantly dressed man. “This lizard you work for—he’s a good sort, yeah?”
“Frog,” muttered Sal. No one even looked at him.
“Oh yeah,” said Johnny. “Couldn’t ask for a better guy.”
“Runs a tight business, yes?”
Johnny flicked a look at Sal. Sal shrugged. “Um, yeah—we’ll go with that,” muttered Johnny.
“It has come to my attention that someone harbors some ill will for your lizard friend.”
Sal fought the urge to gape, slapping a hand over his mouth to keep his jaw from dropping. Johnny registered surprise.
How much ill will?” he asked. “What are we talking here?”
“Enough,” said the dark man. He tipped his cigar and blew smoke experimentally. “Enough to be bad for the business.”
Johnny was still, digesting this piece of information.
“And besides—I got grandkids. They love you guys. I can’t let someone bump off the head lizard.”
“Frog,” said Sal, a little louder this time.
“What can I do for you?” Johnny asked at last. He had clearly been shaken by the news.
“Stay close for a bit,” said the dark man quietly. “Watch him. Me—my boys, we’ll take care of everything else. It won’t take long. But, for a bit—just stay close to him, capiche?”
“Capiche,” said Johnny softly. He looked at Sal. “We gotta go stick close to Kermit.”
“Yeah, Kermit-that’s him,” said the dark man suddenly. “I couldn’t remember his name. Kermit the lizard.”
“Frog,” said Sal again. The dark eyes in the dark face swung to look at him at last. Sal thought he might faint.
“What was that?” His expression was mild, but Sal felt like he’d just been slammed into a wall.
Sal stood as straight and respectful as he could and tried vainly to still the trembling of his knees. “His name is Kermit the Frog. He’s a frog, not a…a lizard.”
The dark eyes widened in surprise and looked to Johnny for confirmation. “This is true? He’s a frog?”
Mutely, Johnny nodded.
The dark man leaned forward. Sal and Johnny sucked in their breath, but he merely placed a large, well-manicured hand on Sal’s shoulder and looked him in the eye.
“Thank you,” the man said soberly. “You saved me from looking stupid in front of my grandkids.”
Sal reckoned he started breathing again ten minutes after the men had left their hotel room. In that time, Johnny had fortified himself against likely possibilities. The two friends looked at each other.
“Let’s go,” said Johnny.
“Sure thing,” said Sal. They started out the door, but Sal stopped for a moment and looked up at his idol. “How come you pushed me outta the way when we came in?” he asked.
Johnny looked at him, then shrugged. “’Fraid you’d say something stupid?” he offered at last. But Sal wasn’t listening to what Johnny said. He was remembering the feel of Johnny’s arm, frantically pushing his head down and out of danger while the crooner got between him and whatever was in the room. Sal tried hard not to look grateful or sappy.
“That’s me,” said Sal amiably, his little black eyes shining with admiration. “Always saying something stupid.”
Johnny touched Sal’s shoulder lightly, then gave him a shove out the door. “Shake a leg, won’t you?” said the crooner impatiently. He was not acting impatient to cover his discomfiture—no siree, not Johnny Fiama. My hero, thought Sal, but he shook a leg anyway.

Even the last number and the standing applause with it had not managed to put Floyd Pepper in a mellow frame of mind. Lovingly, methodically, he was putting his bass to sleep in its case, wiping the polished wood reverently with a soft cloth. He muttered to himself irritably, his raspy voice making a low rumble in the sound-proofed music room. It was impossible to tell what he was saying, but the words woman-stealing, no-good and back-stabbing were discernable
Janice had gone to change, and Floyd had generously volunteered to tuck Janice’s guitar in as well. Gently, the bass player wiped the strets and the surface of the fine wood with a microfiber cloth, then Floyd laid the two-tone guitar carefully in its case. Seeing it there, beautiful and vulnerable, made Floyd pause in admiration. Janice had played the same guitar as long as he could remember, and the shine on the wood was testament to the loving care she had lavished on it over the years. Of course she took good care of it, his mind prompted. If you love something, you take care of it the way you ought to. He felt a sharp pang in the general vicinity of his left ventricle and his bushy eyebrows sagged.
Floyd had spent his whole life in laid-back mode. He had been the coolest of the cool, the hippest of the hip. He had prided himself on the way that nothing really got under his skin—things bothered him and he moved on, or around, or just backed up until all the shouting was over. But…but Floyd’s rumpled but unruffled veneer had taken quite a beating in the last year. There had been some creative disappointments, and the last few months he’d felt the increased tension among all the muppets as they’d suffered along with Kermit and Piggy. It hadn’t been a great year for the band, either. Janice had been filming, and the band had limped along without her on several occasions. They were, at least, putting down some electrifying tracks for the new movie, and Floyd brightened a little at that. And the show was getting them good reviews. He tried to feel cheerier, but was finally forced to concede that his turmoil was not professional in nature.
He…he felt like something was wrong in the personal department. He thought Janice might be…. Deliberately, Floyd shuddered away from the thought. How could he even think it? What on earth was the matter with him? But his face felt hot when he replayed the night’s show, and he had been positive—positive!—that Janice had been having a furtive, whispered conversation with her dance partner Clifford when he’d come backstage. But she had dragged him—not Clifford—backstage to see her new costume. And she had linked arms with him, her shining head leaning on his shoulder, as they had come from the stage. He could still feel the weight of her slim arm around his waist as they had made their way backstage, hear her low, sultry voice—
“Hey, Babe,” said Janice, touching his shoulder. “Ready to hit the disco?” Floyd started and straightened up abruptly, causing Janice to startle as well. They grabbed each others shoulders for balance, laughing in nervousness and surprise, but then Floyd stopped laughing. He looked at Janice’s serene and beautiful face, searching for something in her gaze. He seemed to find it, for he pulled Janice close, pressing her lithe body to his. Janice turned her face up to his like a flower seeking the sun, so she was just where she ought to be for Floyd to bend and cover her mouth with his.
“Hmmmm,” said Janice, and her slim arms twined around his neck while she returned his thorough kiss with gusto. She could feel some unquiet in his frame, sense his unhappiness without quite knowing the cause. One of her hands touched his face, and she ended the kiss gently.
“Hey, Babe,” she said again, but her voice was concerned. “You okay?”
Floyd was having trouble with his words. He made a couple of abortive attempts at saying something, anything, then leaned forward miserably, his forehead resting on Janice’s shoulder.
“Bad day,” Floyd muttered at last.
With a sudden rush of tenderness, Janice wrapped her arms around his shoulders and held him close.
“Oh, like, Honey,” she said gently. “You should have said something. We don’t have to go to a stupid ol’ disco tonight.” She turned his face back up to hers. “Why don’t we shoo the boys out and call room service. Mabel says they have rully decent vegan stuff on the menu.” Floyd looked hopeful. “We could, like, rent a movie,” she wheedled.
“Or not,” said Floyd. His voice was more than usually raspy. Janice laughed and kissed him quick to soothe him, but her eyes were very warm.
“Or not,” she agreed. Firmly, she took his hand and led him away.

“Hey Piggy,” said Kermit. “Some of the gang are going dancing a a disco down the block.”
“They still have discos?” asked Piggy, hanging up her red satin dress.
“Apparently,” said Kermit dryly. “It’s a retro thing. Um, I heard the food’s friendly.”
“Just as long as it’s....”
“Not fresh.”
“...not fresh.”
They laughed together at the old joke. Piggy leaned on the makeup table, which was sturdy enough not to protest, and smiled at Kermit fondly.
“What about Robin?”
“Sound asleep. Rowlf’s staying in tonight, and he’s curled up on the end of the couch in our living room. So, you want to go dancing?”
“If vous want to,” she said, willing to be agreeable.
“Might be fun,” said Kermit. He struck a Saturday Night Fever dance pose, making Piggy giggle. “I’ll bet Thoreau could find me a white suit and a black shirt.”
“I’ll be Thoreau wore one, back in the day,” said Piggy, then giggled, but not before she looked around to make sure Thoreau wasn’t within earshot.
“So, you want to change or what?”
Piggy gave him a look and took off her silk dressing gown. “I can’t go in this,” she said, flashing some expensive lingerie.
“Well, you could,” said Kermit impudently, “but you’d probably get your dance card punched a lot.”
“My dance card is full, thank you,” Piggy sniffed, pulling on a periwinkle sweater that dipped rakishly off one shoulder. There were jet beads along the wide collar and around the hem, and they swung as though in an unseen breeze as she moved. Kermit was watching her with interest and it made her shy. She stepped behind the changing screen and stepped into a short black knit skirt. She emerged a moment later wearing one boot and one pump.
“Boots or heels?” she asked.
Kermit looked thoughtful.
“Turn around.”
Piggy complied. “Well?”
“Do it again,” said Kermit, his chin in his hand.
Once again, Piggy did a 360 and faced him.
“The boots?” she asked. “I think the heels may be too low.”
That hardly seemed likely, thought Kermit, who wondered how she walked in them at all.
“Um, one more time?”
Obediently, Piggy turned smartly on her heel and then completed the turn to face him once more. “Well?” she asked trustingly, blue eyes wide. “What do you think?”
“What I always think,” said Kermit. “Hubba hubba!”
“Oh, honestly!” growled Piggy. She reached for a shoe. And Kermit, who had experience in these matters, ran for the door. It had barely shut behind him when he heard two sharp thumps against the door behind his back, and Kermit smiled. Piggy certainly hadn’t mellowed much since their days at the Muppet Theater, but her aim certainly had. Of course, it had been some time since he’d been in anything but close range. He leaned against the door and waited for Piggy to finish dressing.
Like last night, there was an unfamiliar sound backstage. Kermit turned toward the noise, but instead of a blushing couple, the tall figure of Johnny Fiama and his shorter, hairier buddy Sal separated themselves from the gloom and came toward him.
“Hey there, Kermit,” said Johnny. He looked around, eyes flicking in all directions before settling on Kermit’s face.
“Hello, Johnny,” said Kermit. “Hey, Sal.”
“Hiya, Kermit,” said Sal. “Where’s Miss Piggy?”
Kermit grimaced and shrugged. “Picking a pair of shoes to wear,” said Kermit. Both of the bachelors made sympathetic noises. “I figured I ought to get out of the way.”
“Sure,” said Johnny. “You guys going out?”

“Yeah,” said Kermit, mystified by Johnny’s interest. He had never known Johnny to take much interest in his social life--or anyone else’s, for that matter. “We’re, um, going to join some of the gang down the strip at the disco everyone’s been talking about. You and Sal going to come?”
Johnny looked at Sal. Sal looked at Johnny. Microscopically, they shrugged.
“Sure,” said Johnny. “Sounds good.”
“Oh, well, um....” Kermit began, but the door opened at his back and Piggy emerged. As usual, it was worth the wait. She was wearing heels, but not the ones she had tried on earlier. In fact, Kermit had never seen this pair of strappy high heels before, but that was hardly surprising. Piggy had lots of shoes that he had never seen before. He looked at his own flippered feet philosophically. At least they go with everything, he thought, then smiled up at Piggy.
“Worth the wait,” he said, reaching to kiss her cheek. Piggy allowed it.
“Of course,” she murmured. Her eyes said she had not forgotten his teasing and would surely get even, but she smiled at him and slipped a satin-gloved hand under his elbow. “Lead on, Mon Capitan.” She looked at Johnny and Sal narrowly. They seemed to be standing awfully close.
Kermit looked uncomfortable, trying to think how to explain that he seemed to have inadvertently invited Johnny and Sal along on their date.
“Um, Piggy--” he began, but Johnny took their elbows, steering them toward the door. Piggy usually did not tolerant unwanted handling, but she was too surprised to protest.
“Come on,” said Johnny. “We’ll take my car--arrive in style.”
Piggy perked up. The thought of arriving in Johnny’s red sports car was tempting, but her expression said she was not entirely convinced.
“Great shoes,” said Sal. “Be a shame to ruin them on the sidewalk.”
That settled that. “Oh, thank vous,” she said, with a pleased little laugh. “We would love a ride.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huzza! Zowie! Ishkibbible!
Please forgive the randomness... But Ru're back!
And if that isn't cause to celebrate, I don't know what is.
You know what sold this chapter for me? That line...

"Worth the wait", yep, it sure was. Makes my being stuck here at the dern computer all day worth it. And it was a great update. Now, if you'll hexcuse me, I have to go get ready for the show you know. Bathe and dress and have dinner, who knows, maybe we'll bump into each other soon.
Take care Ru, and it's awfully great to have you back.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 39: Shaking a Leg

“Better?” asked Scooter. He was wearing soft, almost-white denims and a blue chambray dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up.
Sara stepped close to him and tugged on his collar, then ruffled his hair. “There—that’s better.”
“Sara—don’t mess my—“
Sara made a very Piggy-sounding growl, stepped close to him and kissed him for a long time with her fingers all tangled in his hair. After a very indecent interval, she stepped back and surveyed her handiwork with pride.
“You were saying?” she said.
Scooter made a couple of attempts at talking that didn’t go anywhere. There seemed to be a lot of that going around.
“Um…gee whiz, Honey,” he managed at last.
“Oh, good,” said Sara archly. “I’m glad you see it my way. Now, come on! Everyone else has already gone on!”
Scooter took her hand and followed her out the door. He could still feel her mouth over his, her hands in his hair, the way she felt all smushed up against him. It was a delicious feeling, and it didn’t go away for a long, long time.

There was a large man standing near the casino doorway. He was wearing an expensive linen suit that was faultlessly tailored, but it did not quite fit him over the shoulders. He looked hot, but he did not remove his coat. He was watching people leave the casino, eyes narrowed in concentration. He did not look as though thinking came easily for him, and the crease between his eyes was deep as he watched each person enter and leave. He felt someone’s eyes on him and turned, his hand half-way under his coat, but it was only a middle-aged lady in red and green Bermuda shorts and a Christmas tank top. She was looking at him with a level gaze that was suspicious but not frightened. The man frowned, not sure how to react. He had a sudden idea, which showed plainly on his face. He pulled out his wallet and flashed something silver at the woman.
“Hotel security,” he murmured, trying to look official. The woman made no comment, but she didn’t look satisfied. She edged away from him, frowning, and he debated whether or not to deal with her or—
A small green figure was heading out the door in a knot of talking, laughing people. The man with the nice suit forgot all about the woman with the Christmas tank top. He put his hand back under his coat and edged for the door.

Johnny Fiama’s little red car peeled out and shot down the strip, causing several horns to honk. Piggy gritted her teeth and held on for dear life, but Sal—who was used to Johnny’s driving, just tried not to look out the front of the car.
The trip was not long, but it was eventful. By the time Kermit clambered out of the back of the car and gave Piggy his hand, he’d seen most of his life flash before his eyes. Pleasant though most of it was, Kermit was ridiculously glad to find his flippers on solid earth again. As predicted, the little red sports car created quite a stir when it slammed to a stop in front of the brightly-lit marquee, and when Piggy ascended from the low seats onto the sidewalk, there was a little murmur of excitement in the crowd of people who were lined up, hoping to get in.
“Um, you okay, Piggy?” Kermit murmured out of the corner of his mouth.
Piggy nodded, her teeth clinched shut. She was smiling, but she didn’t look happy. “Next time, you sit in the front.”
Kermit looked at her, puzzled. “Okay, sure. But why do you want me to sit in the front?”
“Cause vous won’t mind bugs in your teeth!”
And then the crowd was upon them, pressing on them from all sides, and Piggy transformed instantly into the diva they were all expecting.

“Mee mee,” said Beaker, holding Laura May’s chair for her.
“Thanks, Beaker,” said Laura May. “You’re a sweetie.”
Dr. Honeydew had joined them at their little table, and he smiled beatifically at Laura May. Beaker had gotten over his pique about his hair—it was already growing out—and he had insisted that his colleague and friend come with them. Once Laura May was settled, Beaker went to flag down a waitress.
“It’s so nice of you to let me come along,” said the beaming doctor. “I had a marvelous time last night.”
“Oh, Dr. Honeydew, I’m glad you came.”
“Oh, please, dear—call me Bunsen.”
Laura May laughed. “I’ve never heard anyone call you Bunsen before, Dr. Honeydew.”
“No,” sighed the doctor sadly. “Sometimes people can’t see beyond the lab coat.” He brightened after a minute. “Beaker calls me Bunsen,” he said.
“Oh,” said Laura May, a little surprised. “Yes, I suppose he does. You’ve worked together a long time.”
“Goodness yes,” said Dr. Honeydew. “We were room-mates at the academy.”
“I didn’t know that,” said Laura May. “Did you know each other before?”
Dr. Honeydew put one finger inside his collar. He continued to beam at her, but he looked a little uncomfortable.
“Well, no,” said the scientist. “We met after the science building caught fire, you know. And then when the dorm went up, some of the students needed to find other lodgings. I said I’d take a roommate and that’s how I met Beakie.”
“He’s sweet,” said Laura May, wondering a little about the science building fire. “He’s very into his work.”
“Oh yes,” agreed Dr. Honeydew. “I’ve never known anyone to throw themselves into their work the way Beaker does.”
Pepe appeared at their table, looking serene and peremptory.
“Hola, Laura May,” he said politely, then latched onto the cuff of Bunsen Honeydew’s lab coat. “Come, come, Doc—shake a leg, h’okay?”
“What? What for?” asked the puzzled green muppet. Pepe had him half out of his seat by then. For a little guy, he had quite a grip.
“Mira, mira—I have two hot womens and Hi cannot handle both of them. One of them is a rocket scientist, h’okay?”
“Really?” said Dr. Honeydew, then, “Oh no.” He was clearly flustered. "No, really—I don’t dance.”
“Si, si—everybody’s modest, h'okay? Hit the floor, Doc.”
“Oh, I’m sure this isn’t—“ Bunsen Honeydew muttered, but he was inexorably dragged away by the saucy little king prawn just as Beaker reappeared with three bottles of sparkling spring water. He watched his lab partner protest to no avail, and finally allowed himself to be introduced to a stunning young woman who was wearing what might have once been a mini-skirt, but seemed to have shrunk since then. She regarded the diminutive doctor with every evidence of being charmed, then appeared to haul him, somewhat reluctantly, into the crowd of writhing, wriggling bodies. For a second, Beaker looked concerned, but within moments, Dr. Honeydew’s figure re-emerged from the mass of bodies, laughing and gyrating in time to the music. He seemed to be having a funny conversation with his dance partner, for they were both laughing and shouting over the music. Beaker relaxed and smiled at Laura May.
“Mee mee moop?” he asked. Laura May hesitated, then nodded.
“Thank you,” she said. “I think I’d just like to sit hear and drink my water.” She looked up, started to speak, then shook her head and looked back down. To her surprise, Beaker reached out and patted her hand gently.
“Moo mee mee moop,” said Beaker solemnly. “Mee meep me moo me mo meep. Mee…moo moos meemeeng mo meep.”
Laura May looked up gratefully, and her eyes were suspiciously bright. “Oh, thank you for understanding, Beaker. I’m just—I’m just not ready for a dating again so soon. I’m still on the rebound.”
“Mee moop moopp?” teased Beacker, and Laura May blushed and giggled.
“You are bad!” she insisted. She smiled at him and put the cap back on her bottle of spring water. “Just for that, I might make you take me out on the dance floor after all.”
Beaker inclined his head and held out his hand. Laura May took it, and they plunged into the sea of dancers.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I haven't commented in a while. Which has a lot to do with feeling speechless after each chapter. It's just incredible! You know what I love? I love the description of that mini skirt. I love all of it, but that sticks out right now.

MORE PLEASE!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Was wondering what happened to you Lisa.

Another nice addition Ru... What stuck out for me?
Well, besides the helter-skelter roller-coaster ride getting the frog and pig to the disco?

That way in which the crease between the guard's eyes belied his level of thinking.
Bit concerned, but I know it'll all work out... Will it?
And to echo Lisa... More please!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 40: Hair of the dog

Rowlf had the news on, but the sound off, so he was able to hear the patter of little flippers before they came into the living room. He turned from the television to find Robin standing sleepily in the doorway. He was wearing flannel pajamas with clouds on them, and his usually inquisitive eyes were blurred by sleep.
“Uncle Kermit?”
“No, Champ—it’s me, Rowlf.” He patted the couch beside him.
Robin looked sulky and unhappy, but he stumbled over and crawled up on the couch.
“I can’t sleep,” he complained, but his eyes were already drifting closed, his head resting on Rowlf’s leg. He yawned. “Where did Uncle Kermit go again?”
“Um, he and the Missus went out dancing with the gang.”
“It’s dark out. He should come home,” complained Robin. His breathing was slowing, his voice slurring a little on the word home.
Rowlf laughed and patted Robin affectionately on the back. “Well, I don’t think it ever gets dark in Vegas—not on the strip, anyway. But Kermit’ll be back after they’ve worked off some energy. I’m sure he’ll be here before too long to check on you and tuck you back in.”
“But—but what if something happens?” Robin protested sleepily. “What if he doesn’t come home tonight? Who’s going to wake me up in the morning?”
Rowlf chuckled and let his hand rest lightly on Robin’s back. “Not to worry, Robin,” Rowlf said firmly. “I can’t think of anything that would keep your uncle from coming back home to you.” He looked down and realized that Robin was already fast asleep. Stretching a little, he fetched a blanket off the back of the couch and laid it over Robin’s supine form.
What a great kid, thought Rowlf fondly. He enjoyed chances like this to be a surrogate uncle to the little green guy, but he could never do what Kermit did. Amazing, Rowlf thought absently, how many balls Kermit kept in the air at one time.
After a moment, Rowlf hit the power button on the television. The screen winked dark, and he settled back into the cushions on the couch, letting his head fall back. In moments he, too, was fast asleep.

The young man behind the concierge desk smirked at the young lady beside him.
“How’s your friend?” he asked. “Still there?”
She gave him a look that should have dropped him on the spot, but his amused reaction to it said that he was proof against such looks from her.
“Yes, he’s still there,” she snapped. “And he’s not my friend. He’s just some—some creepy guy that wanted to use the office suite.”
“Not much call for that anymore,” said her companion, looking with interest through the open door. “Most people dial up on their laptops.” He saw a rumpled figure in a trench coat bent low over a computer keyboard and typing furiously. He did not actually seem to know how to type—his hand position was all wrong—but his fingers were flying over the keys, and there was an almost profane glee about his frantic movements that was disconcerting.
“Creepy is right,” he agreed. “Who is he?”
“Don’t know,” she admitted, her jaw jutted stubbornly.
“Amanda! You know we’re supposed to get their room number?”
“He flashed his card, okay? I just didn’t get the room number!” she said defiantly. “If you want his room number so bad, Doug, you go ask for it.”
Her companion moved toward the door, then hesitated. The topic of their conversation stood up, and they hastened back around to their posts, trying to look busy. Amanda snatched up a phone and began to talk into it as though taking a reservation. Doug shot her a nasty look, then slipped on the banal mask of the terminally helpful.
“Is there anything else you needed, sir?” he asked politely. The man in the somewhat shopworn trench coat stopped and looked up at him as though previously unaware of his existence. He smiled. It was not a nice smile, and Doug was suddenly envious of Amanda, who was writing nonsense industriously on a pad of paper with a pen embossed with the casino name. “Do you need me to, um, fax anything for you?”
“No thanks,” said the man. “I’ll fax it from my room.”
And that would be…? Doug imagined himself saying, but in the end he said nothing. He continued to smile idiotically as the man walked away. It was the walk of a man well-satisfied with the turn of events.
Doug turned back to Amanda.
“Oh, hang up!” he demanded. “I know you’re faking.”
Amanda hung up the phone with excessive nonchalance and looked at him, her face composed.
“Get his room number?” she asked coolly.
Doug’s eyes narrowed at the jibe, then his expression became sober. “No,” he said quietly. “Creepy for sure. I wonder what he was writing?”
Amanda shrugged. “And if he has a fax machine, why’d he come down here?”
Doug nodded absently. “Weird,” he said again. “I guess he didn’t want someone to know what he was doing.” He shrugged it off impatiently. “Which is about half of everyone here.”
Amanda put a hand on his arm. “Want to know what I’m doing?” she asked. “After work, I mean?”
Doug smiled and covered her hand lightly for a moment with his before stepping back.
“I already know,” he said, then his expression became stern. “But we’re at work now. Customers first.”
“Spoilsport,” muttered Amanda. She was smiling when she said it.
Doug grinned back at her. “Only when I’m at work.”

In his dream, his head was pounding loudly, but there seemed to be no rhythm to the sound. That’s odd, thought Rowlf vaguely. I usually keep pretty good time in my dreams. The tempo increased, and was joined by a voice—a very off-key voice. This is really strange, reflected Rowlf. I almost never hear vocals. And why am I hearing my own name?
It took another 30 seconds, but Rowlf finally realized that the noise and the voice weren’t coming from his head—they were coming from the door. Someone was pounding on the door—Fozzie, from the sound of it. Carefully, Rowlf slipped out from under Robin’s form and padded toward the door.
It was Fozzie—a very shaken and upset Fozzie—who stood on the other side of the door. He started to speak, but Rowlf put a finger to his lips and stepped out into the hall. They stepped away from the barely open door.
“What’s wrong, Fozzie?” said Rowlf. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
“There was—there was a shooting on the strip! I was watching the news and they said—they said somebody had taken a shot at a frog.”
Rowlf stared at him, uncomprehending. “What—what do—did you try to call Kermit?” he managed at last. Fozzie nodded miserably.
“Yes! About 15 times! He doesn’t answer!”
Rowlf looked anxiously back toward the room. He couldn’t leave.
“Um, call Scooter. He and Sara were going down to the club, too. Scooter will have his phone on him.”
“Scooter!” said Fozzie. “Of course, right.” He tried to punch in Scooter’s cell number twice to no avail. In the end, Rowlf took the phone away from him and dialed it himself. Scooter answered on the third ring.
“Scooter Grosse, Rainbow Productions. How can I—oh, hi Fozzie!”
“Um, it’s actually Rowlf,” said Rowlf, feeling calmer already. Scooter sounded calm, so Kermit must be fine. “But Fozzie’s with me. We were just, um, wondering…um, how’s Kermit?”
“Kermit?” said Scooter. “Um, fine, I guess. He was here a minute ago with—no wait, I see him over…no…no, not him. Um, he’s here somewhere. Is everything okay? Robin’s not sick, is he?” Scooter sounded concerned, and Rowlf warred with his conscience. What to say, what to say…. Fozzie was positively gnawing the ends of his fingers.
“Robin’s fine,” said Rowlf. “But he was asking for Kermit a little while ago.”
“Well look,” said Scooter. “I think we’re about ready to bag it and drag it here, so I’ll tell him to—oh, wait!” There was a long pause and Rowlf and Fozzie stared at each other helplessly in mute terror.
Then, to their utter relief, Kermit’s voice came over the line. He was obviously shouting because of the background noise, so his voice carried clearly into the little hallway.
“Hey Rowlf! What are you doing with Fozzie’s phone? And how come you’re calling me on Scooter’s phone? I’ve got my phone with me—oh, wait. I think the battery has run down. Is Robin okay?”
“Robin’s fine,” said Rowlf. His mouth felt dry, his knees weak. “Um, Fozzie came by to see if you were back and we thought we’d go out for a coupla beers when I’m off baby-sitting duty. You comin’ home soon?”
Fozzie was giving Rowlf a look—a look that plainly said, “He’s never going to buy that!”—but Kermit seemed unsuspicious.
“Oh, sure—sure, Rowlf. We’re heading out now. See you in a minute, ‘kay?”
“Sure thing, Kermit,” said Rowlf. “See you in a few.” He closed the phone and handed it back to Fozzie. Fozzie took it, looked at it for a moment, then slid slowly down to the floor. Rowlf kept him from falling over, but he felt like falling over himself. He patted Fozzie’s cheek gently.
“C’mon, c’mon—don’t cut out on me, Fozzie,” Rowlf said. Fozzie took a deep breath and then another. They looked at each other. “Tell me what you saw,” said Rowlf. “Are you sure they said a frog?”
“Yes!” Fozzie said indignantly. His voice sounded very loud and he clapped both hands over his mouth. “Yes!” he whispered again, insistent. “I—I know I get things wrong sometimes, but I’m not wrong about this. The news said someone tried to shoot a frog.”
Rowlf looked thoughtful. “Can’t be many frogs in town,” he muttered, “but I guess it wasn’t Kermit.” He pulled on his lower lip, thinking. “Uh, Fozzie—I don’t think we should mention this to Kermit.”
“You—you don’t?” said Fozzie. His eyes were huge, trusting but puzzled. “But—but shouldn’t we warn him that—“
“We don’t even know if this had anything to do with Kermit,” said Rowlf firmly. “In fact, we don’t actually know yet if there was a shooting. Coulda be a car backfiring or something.” He did not look convincing, but Fozzie latched onto this straw eagerly.
“Yes—that’s right. We don’t know that this had anything to do with Kermit.”
Rowlf ran a hand around his neck, then stood up and offered Fozzie a hand. Fozzie took it and stood, albeit unsteadily, and they continued to look at each other worriedly.
“Rowlf, I—everything’s been so strange, lately,” Fozzie blurted. “There are all these rumors, people trying to hurt Kermit.”
Rowlf shrugged. “They might not be trying to hurt Kermit,” he said. “They could be trying to hurt Piggy.”
Fozzie nodded. It was true, but it was not comforting. “I—I’m scared, Rowlf. I don’t like this.”
“Me either,” said Rowlf. “But we need to think about Kermit. And Piggy. And the Company.”
“And a beer,” said Fozzie. Rowlf stared at him. Fozzie had been wary of anything alcoholic since the champagne debacle during the filming of “The Great Muppet Caper.”
“Um….” said Rowlf.
“You said you’d buy me a beer,” said Fozzie. He looked a little like a child whose parent is about to renege on a trip for ice cream. Rowlf reached out gently and patted Fozzie on the arm.
“Sure thing, Fozzie,” he said gently. He felt like they could use one.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That was a great chapter Ru. The cuteness factor and inner warmth shared by Rowlf and Robin at the beginning... Someone from Chicago will be squeeeing about that quite loudly I guess.
The interlude of the hotel personelle trying to figure out what that creepy man wants and where he's staying, not to mention the little shot of playfulness at the end... Me likes.
And then you have Fozzie show up in what can only fit the bear perfectly, as Lisa would say, a teddy bear needing moment as it certainly proved to be so. Someone shot at a frog? Very intriguing and a smidge scary, but that's ncessary for the story you've built here.

Looking forward to more and hope it gets posted soon.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Oh wow, cute and intriguing chapter, Ru! And yay! More posted!!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Haven't commented for awhile, but oh man, the suspense of this last chapter!!! My heart was racing from the minute Fozzie came in and said he heard on the news someone shot at a frog. Man oh man. This is super intense Ru, but I love it. Keep it coming!