Kermie's Girl (ushy-gushy fanfic)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Got through the firstthree pages of back story, and this is definitely a story I've come to love and treasure. Will keep reading to find the preview of Pepe's act.

Just a few uestions I happen to have though...
Are the following segments, each with a title of their own, to be taken as the properly ordered numbered chapters?
Kermie's Girl: Introduction, the scene where Kermit comes back home late at night after a grouchy day on the movie set.
A Lucky Frog.
Good Remembering.
The Sum of the Parts.
Time Heals all Wounds.
Piggy the Actress.
Christmas in Vegas.
Methinks the Pig Doth Protest too Much.
“Ate like a horse—slept like a log."
Back to Normal.

There are three added segments between A Lucky Frog and Good Remembering: are these to be taken as three extra chapters?
Or are they merely segments, part of the main titled installment?
There's another added segment between The Sum of the Parts and Time Heals all Wounds: Is this to be taken as an extra chapter?
Or is this merely a segment, part of the main titled installment?

When you say "sign" as in "Kermit signed", do you mean "sigh/sighed" instead?
When Bunsen says "Beakie" refering to Beaker, for future reference, I think it should be "Beaky" instead.
Why do I say this? Because "Beakie" is the name of a completely different Muppet character, a sort of birdlike creature that appeared with Alice Cooper, which turned out to be Piggy transformed into the creature by means of a devilish spell.
What does "cross your heart figure" mean?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Untangling the author's stuff

THis was actually a lot of fun to reply to, but you make me WORK, Ed! I always try to title my sections. (Maybe I should say I always mean to title my sections!) I've added the names of the missing sections, which (as you all know) I can no longer access--not even to fix my (numerous) typos and misspellings.

The Count said:
Got through the firstthree pages of back story, and this is definitely a story I've come to love and treasure. Will keep reading to find the preview of Pepe's act.

Just a few uestions I happen to have though...
Are the following segments, each with a title of their own, to be taken as the properly ordered numbered chapters?
Kermie's Girl: Introduction, the scene where Kermit comes back home late at night after a grouchy day on the movie set.
A Lucky Frog.
Chez Robertos which begins with:
When Kermit joined Piggy at their customary table in the private dining room, every cook in the kitchen was standing in rapt attention behind Roberto, who hovered over Piggy in a paroxysm of delight.
Treasure Seekers which begins with: “Look, Piggy—it’s us!”
At the The Frogs which begins with: Weekend mornings were sometimes a little more leisurely at the "the Frogs" than the usual chaos on mornings where getting to the studio was necessary.
Good Remembering.
The Sum of the Parts.
This can't be much of a picnic which starts with It was early, early in the morning when Kermit’s cell phone began to beep.
Time Heals all Wounds.
Piggy the Actress.
Christmas in Vegas.
Methinks the Pig Doth Protest too Much.
“Ate like a horse—slept like a log."
Back to Normal.

There are three added segments between A Lucky Frog and Good Remembering: are these to be taken as three extra chapters?
Or are they merely segments, part of the main titled installment?
There's another added segment between The Sum of the Parts and Time Heals all Wounds: Is this to be taken as an extra chapter?
Or is this merely a segment, part of the main titled installment?
Once I got to Christmas in Vegas, which is now weighing at over 60,000 words, I have sometimes used sub-titles for individual sections, but in my head (which is a slightly scary place!), CiV in one large chunk of the story itself.
When you say "sign" as in "Kermit signed", do you mean "sigh/sighed" instead?
Yes, undoubtedly I mean sighed. Rented fingers, I suppose.
When Bunsen says "Beakie" refering to Beaker, for future reference, I think it should be "Beaky" instead.
Why do I say this? Because "Beakie" is the name of a completely different Muppet character, a sort of birdlike creature that appeared with Alice Cooper, which turned out to be Piggy transformed into the creature by means of a devilish spell.
You are correct that I should probably change to Beaky, but I am not going to. Sometimes, the actual words run around in my head, and I'm so used to seeing Beakie that I don't think I can rewire my head.
What does "cross your heart figure" mean?
Um, they used to sell a "cross-your-heart" bra that promised to "lift and separate" the um, anatomy customarily covered by a brassierre. Jane Russell, a lovely and well-endowed actress best known for her "sprawling in the straw" promotional picture for "The Outlaw" was the spokeswoman for this particular wonder of technology "for us full-figured gals." She was also the quintissential "sweater girl" for the same reasons. So, a cross-your-heart figure is a well-rounded, voluptuous figure, typified by no one better than the ever-fabulous Miss Piggy, star of stage and screen.

(My post is ready but I am having some technical difficulties. By tonight, I promise--even if I have to type the whole durn thing over.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so muchly Catherine.
Understood about Beaker being termed "Beakie" in your mind. No worries.
Gotten up to Page 6, Opening Night, I think after the first half of the showfinished, will keep reading a bit later though. So ou know, there are five subsections without titles oftheir own, Funny Doin's Back Stage, two more untitled sections, Srange Meetings, and there's the first subsection preceeded by post text and another subsection which is where I think I left off.
So you see, I'm working too to find you the preview of Pepe's act. And thanks for the wardrobe information, guess that explains the "cross your eyes" eyeglasses joke from another show I remember.

Take care Ru, and please let us know if we can help with anything.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 42: The Return of The King

“Well, it wasn’t the worst thing he’s written about them,” said Scooter. He didn’t look happy, but he was trying hard to be matter-of-fact.
“True,” said Rowlf. “He didn’t really say anything nasty, but he—“
“I know. He just implied it.” Scooter’s hands had balled unconsciously into fists. “He just implied that Kermit is a real pain to work for and that we’re all miserable, but Piggy should probably be the most miserable because she has to put up with him all the time.” Scooter looked flushed with anger, his chin pointed aggressively and Rowlf wanted badly to pat him on the head and say, “Good boy.”
“Has he seen it?” said Rowlf. Scooter shook his head, twisting the tabloid into a tight roll.
“No. At least, I don’t think so. I don’t think he pays as much attention to the second day stuff—opening night is the big deal. After that, it’s not such a thing.”
Rowlf looked at Scooter fondly, letting him get by with this little white lie. Kermit might not make as big a deal over second-day stuff, but he sure as heck read it. Gingerly, Rowlf reached out and took the rolled-up newspaper from Scooter. He found it hard to relax around one of those things.
“Here,” said Rowlf. “Let me take that. I need something to line the trash can in our room.” Sheepishly, Scooter surrendered the malicious little rag. This time, Rowlf did pat him on the head, mussing his hair. Scooter hardly noticed.
“So, you don’t think we should tell him about the shooting?” said Scooter. He seemed suddenly very young, looking to Rowlf for reassurance.
“Naw. I don’t see that it will do any good,” Rowlf said philosophically. “Let’s just keep our eyes and ears open, all right?”
Scooter nodded, then started nervously as the door from the dressing rooms onto the stage area banged open and cast members starting filing in. He looked at Rowlf ruefully.
“I better go change. If I don’t get in there and warm up, Howard will probably cut me out of the dance number altogether. You coming?”
Rowlf shrugged. “Might as well try. You know I’ve got two left paws, but—man!—that is one kicking song. When’s Kermit coming down to see it?”
Scooter looked at his little handheld for a moment. “Um, we’ve got a coupla hours, yet.” He grimaced. “Only a couple!” Scooter trotted backstage to put on something he could dance in.

Piggy was already wearing something she could dance in, as was Janice. Gonzo, Clifford and and Fozzie leaned together nearby on the other end of the stage, talking in low tones. They watched the other dancers milling about on the stage and waited for Howard to give coherent directions.
“This might take a while,” Piggy murmured to Janice, and was rewarded by a knowing giggle. Sara looked scandalized. Howard had been beside himself all morning, putting Pepe through his paces long before the others had arrived. There was something funny going on—Piggy could feel it, but it was no use bullying Howard in situations like these. She’d have to settle for waiting along with everyone else…unless she could bully Thoreau. She looked thoughtfully toward the dressing rooms, but any movement in that direction would have to wait. Howard came charging through like a small hurricane and everybody scrambled to get out of the way.
“Okay—you! Up! And you!—don’t budge from that spot! Scooter—you dance with Amy Lu.” He frowned and looked around critically. “Camilla—pick a partner, dear. Someone you aren’t afraid will tromp on you and—yes, dear—that will be just fine.” He eyed Rowlf narrowly, but Rowlf was too busy grinning to be dismayed.
“Hey there,” he said to Camilla. “I’ll try not to trip over my own feet.”
Camilla clucked something funny, her wing on his arm, and they both laughed. Howard gave them a snotty look but moved on. Rizzo and Gloria Jean latched hands and tried to look nonchalant. Howard rolled his eyes. “Don’t make me separate you,” he snapped grimly.
“You, you—that’s fine, that’s…well, it will have to do. Okay, okay! Everybody!” He clapped his hands in a peremptory manner. “Just like we rehearsed it!”
They ran it. Then they ran it again. And just when everyone felt it was coming together, Howard changed several things; but after they had run those a couple of times, they had to grudgingly agree that it was better this way. At last, Howard sent them to shower and change.
“We’ve got 20 minutes, people,” he reminded them. “Twenty minutes before Kermit comes down to see how we’re doing.”
Piggy sprinted to the shower and was standing in her spot in less than the requisite time. Others took their places, arriving breathlessly on stage in various degrees of dampness and discomfort. Fozzie’s jeans looked stiff and new, and he smiled up at Piggy self-consciously.
“Hi Piggy,” he offered. “Gosh, I hope Kermit likes it.”
Although every instinct told her he would, Piggy, too, wanted to see the confirmation on his face, but she nodded at Fozzie in a reassuring manner. Although initially paired with Clifford, she and Fozzie had been partnered for the audition. Clifford was dancing with Sara, and Gonzo had been paired with Janice—at least until the solo part of the dance.
There was an excited hush—Kermit was coming now!—and Piggy smiled indulgently. They were like children, really—every one of them—waiting for the word of approval from Papa Frog. She sneaked around and tried to peak out of the curtain, but Howard came over and slapped her hand. For a long moment, they glared at each other.
“I ought knock you into next week’s—“
“Yeah, yeah—but you’d ruin your nails. Get in your spot, little miss Diva—I have enough on my mind without riding herd on you.”
Piggy stared at him, openmouthed, after he had scurried away, then her eyes softened. Poor thing—he must be really stressed. He would never had talked to her that way if he’d been himself. She began to smile, thinking how horrified he’d be when he surfaced and remembered what he’d said and done. It was—almost—worth getting her hand slapped over. She returned to her spot and waited.

Kermit had settled into one of the slightly uncomfortable chairs, crossed one ankle over his knee and his arms across his chest. To his extreme bemusement, he watched his nephew do exactly the same, mirroring his body language expertly.
“What’s going to happen?” said Robin.
“Um, I’m not exactly sure,” Kermit admitted. He was trying hard not to think about it. After his teasing about the audition, Piggy had not been forthcoming with details.
“Is Pepe going to dance?”
“Well,” Kermit hedged. “I think so. But I think he’s singing, too. And Piggy is apparently dancing with him.”
Aunt Piggy is dancing with Pepe?” asked Robin. If possible, Robin’s eyes were even more wide than usual.
Kermit nodded, trying not to think about that either. “Yep.”
They looked at each other.
“Wow,” said Robin. He was obviously trying hard to be matter-of-fact, but his gleeful anticipation was evident. “This should be very interesting.”
Kermit fought the urge to laugh out loud. He uncrossed his arms and put one across the back of the chair, his hand resting fondly on the nape of Robin’s neck. Robin didn’t just have his build—he apparently had his gift for understatement, too.

There was a loud crash, a word that Kermit sortof wished Robin hadn’t heard, and then the curtain ruffled in the middle as though someone were trying to escape backstage.
Someone was. Howard’s perspiring face appeared between the folds of the curtain and he searched the audience frantically until he had located Kermit. He gave a high, nervous laugh.
“Oh—there you are!” he said, attempting to appear unruffled and failing miserably. “We’re ha ha ready if you’re ready!”
Kermit and Robin exchanged looks, then turned their faces up to the stage.
“Um, we’re ready,” said Kermit, hoping he actually was.
Howard disappeared and the curtain began to open.

The stage was dark, but you could make out several shapes all standing perfectly still, and Kermit could discern the outline of three of the big cubes from the Dream Girls number standing lined against the back like Stonehenge. He could see a gleam of light off of Dr. Tooth’s trademark gold front tooth as he said, “A-one, a-two, a-one-two three-four—“
A hot, bright spot light came on suddenly, turning its brilliant eye onto an almost unrecognizable form standing dead center of the big stage. It was…it looked like Elvis—if Elvis had had four arms and a red brushed back DA instead of a black one. There were enough sequins and rhinestones on the white jumpsuit to have outfitted every showgirl in Vegas, and Pepe was holding the microphone in a dead-on Elvis pose, his body turned to the side just enough to show off his silver-lined cape.
“Mama said on the day I was born there was a whole lot of shakin’ goin’ on!” wailed Pepe. “There was a party next door with people callin’ out for more and they played the boogie all night long—yeah!
“I was raised on the beat that was oh-so-sweeeet, fed on the rhythm and bluuuues. When she sent me on her way I heard my Mama say, Son, don’t forget your dancing shoes!”
Immediately, the stage was flooded with light, and the crowd of dancers erupted into tightly-choreographed contortions, every body moving in an eerie unison that made Kermit feel like he was watching something unfold in slow motion. Robin was trying to look at everything all at one, fairly bobbing in the seat as his eyes jumped from one sight to another. Kermit felt the same way, overwhelmed with sound and movement and he…he liked it.
“Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance!”
Of a sudden, the slew of dancers broke rank and began to vault off the stage in pairs, coming down the aisles about one-third of the way back and dancing in enthusiastic twosomes. Only Piggy, Janice and Sara were left onstage with their partners—everyone else was dancing in the aisles. Smoothly, suavely, channeling his inner king prawn, Pepe tossed the microphone to another of his arms and began to belt out the second verse as he swiveled his hips and snapped the fingers on two of his hands in time to the music.
“When you’re down at a party and the music’s hot and you see somebody that you like a lot—don’t fight the feelin’ if the feelin’s right! Take a chance and dance ‘cause tonight’s the niiiight we’ll do it right!
“Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! “ sang Pepe, while once again the dancers snapped into sleek syncopation on the chorus. “Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Bop! Bop! Bop! Shake it shake it shake it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance!
Pepe executed a complicated hip movement and turned to face the audience with a sneer that even Elvis would have envied.
“Dance! Dance! Da-da-dance!” shouted Pepe. He held his two left arms out parallel to the floor and cradled the microphone close to his chest. Three more spotlights snapped on in time for the amazingly attentive amphibian audience to see Fozzie, Clifford and Gonzo swing their partners up onto the now-black-draped cubes in a swirl of crinoline, then disappear off the stage. Janice was in the middle, looking like a Biker’s dream girl in a shiny black poodle skirt with her two-tone guitar appliquéd on the skirt and a tight white sweater. Piggy was also in a poodle skirt, but her’s was bubblegum pink and Sara’s was a perfect cerulean blue. Piggy’s hair was her own, but it was now up in two little sassy pony-tails with pink ribbons, and Sara’s long hair was tied up high on her head with a scarf just a shade lighter than her skirt. Janice’s hair swung free over her shoulders as she moved, and—boydid she move. In fact, Kermit’s mouth felt suddenly dry as he watched them dancing in perfect sashaying rhythm to Pepe’s vocals.
“Back in ’57 I was chust a li’l boy and my sister Jenny Sue she was the queen of the hop! After school she’d be stackin’ up her 45s—practicing her shimmy shimmy koko bop! She had to do it right cause come on Saturday night she was the hot girl on the floor! Mama’d catch her in the kitchen but instead of doin’ dishes she’d be brushin’ up her boogie on the ‘frigerator door!”
Pepe jumped and landed with his microphone in the air above his head while he sang into it for all he was worth. The frozen dances swelled back to life once more, everyone dancing in perfect time.
“Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Bop! Bop! Bop! Shake it shake it shake it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance! Da-da-dance!” shouted Pepe.
“Ah when it's come-a come-a doo down down pretty baby and the music starts movin’ and it’s drivin’ you crazy—“
Robin was standing in his seat by this time. Well, not strictly standing, since he, too, seemed to be in a state of perpectual motion to the driving beat. Kermit felt like he ought to do something parental, but he felt like jumping up and dancing too.
“Don’t get caught just-a hangin' around ‘cause you gotta get up if you wanna get down—get up, get up, get down down down!”
Kermit gave up. He got up and did his best to get down down down with the rest of his cast. Seeing it, Piggy fought a big smile and put a little extra swing in her swing.
“Come on and dance, dance—don’t it make you wanna get up and dance!
"Bop! Bop! Bop! Shake it shake it shake it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance! Bop till you drop! Shake it till you break it! Move it till you lose it! Dance! Dance!” howled Pepe.
“Bop, bop, bop! Come on, come on, come on! Shake it, shake it, shake it! Shake it, shake it, shake it! Move it till you lose it! Move it till you lose it! Move it till you lose it! Dance, dance, da-da-dance! Come on and dance, dance, da-da-dance...”
The band finished with a flourish and a bang, and everything went dark on the stage except Pepe. “Come on and dance, dance, da-da-dance!” he hissed soulfully. The stage went dark.

Everyone who had not yet seen Kermit standing on his chair and clapping now did so, and Howard appeared from where he’d been hovering in the wings to accept Kermit’s delighted approval. Cautiously, like a man shying from gunfire, Thoreau also peeked around the curtain.
“Wow!” said Kermit, genuinely astonished. “That was—I was, wow. That is going to be a terrific addition to our fifties show. Great job guys! Oustanding job!” Robin was trying vainly to whistle, and finally gave it up and made loud whoops of sound to convey his whole-hearted endorsement.
Howard blushed and stammered showily, knowing he’d pulled a rabbit out of his hat for sure this time. Then, shocking everyone, he swept his hand back to include not only Pepe, who was looking thoroughly self-satisified) and the Jenny Sue girls and their partners (who had reappeared for the final verse) but the entire ensemble.
“Well!” thought Piggy. “We must have looked pretty decent for Howard to be this pleased.” She smiled at Kermit fondly and accepted Fozzie’s help swinging off her cube. There was a murmur of excitement through the cast and the band and they crowded around Kermit as he approached the stage and hopped up on it. Robin bounded after him.
Kermit took Piggy’s hand and looked out the sea of exultant faces smiling up at him. Their open delight in his enjoyment was very humbling, and he felt a wave of emotion that he couldn’t quite place. He felt proud and indulged and…happy. He felt like he was exactly in the center of where he ought to be, safe and protected and…. Well, almost safe, he reminded himself, but that was all the intrusion he would allow the recent unpleasantness to have. He squeezed Piggy’s hand and felt Robin’s small hand seek his own, trying to think what he could possibly say.
“Pepe—were great! Howard--you’ve really outdone yourself. You’ve all really gone above and beyond for this show,” said Kermit. His voice cracked a little and he cleared his throat self-consciously. “Must have a people in my throat,” he cracked, and everyone groaned.
“Hey,” said Fozzie. “Telling jokes is my job.”
“That sounds about like one of your jokes,” muttered Floyd. Janice shushed him through her own giggles.
“I know some of you would rather be home for Christmas than here—I know some of you gave up plans to be here.” His gaze rested lightly on Scooter and Sara. “But I—gosh, I can’t tell you how much doing this live show means to me—“
“I didn’t have any plans—nobody wanted me home for Christmas!” said Rizzo.
“Nobody wants you here, either!” somebody called, but the affectionate tone made it plain that they were teasing.
“Hey!” said Rizzo indignantly.
“Pick on someone your own size!” laughed Gloria Jean, moving in to put a conciliatory arm around the little rat’s shoulders. “That is—if you can find someone your own size—“
“I had to come—my water’s been cut off, so this seemed—“
“I’m hiding from my creditors,” quipped another.
“I’m hiding from my girlfriend—and her boyfriend,” said a deep voice.
“And Hi am chust here for the womens, h’okay?”
Although it seemed impossible, things went downhill from there, erupting into a veritable free-for-all of good-natured razzing and snappy one-liners. It went on for some minutes, and Kermit was finally forced to shout about the crowd.
“Get out!” he yelled, laughing exuberantly. “Sheesh—try to have a tender moment. You were wonderful! I loved it! Now go! Go away! Go back to your rooms or out on the strip or somewhere where you won’t get into trouble! And come back tonight in time to get ready for the show! We’ll debut this tonight!”
Laughing, the tired and happy masses made for the dressing rooms to store their costumes and don street clothes for the rest of the day. Kermit watched them go, his expression wry.
Piggy tugged his hand, and he turned around and smiled at her.
“Hey!” he said warmly, leaning forward for a quick kiss. Her pony-tails brushed his face and made him sneeze. Then Piggy giggled in the middle of that kiss, so they had to kiss again to make up for it. The pert little bobbie-soxer pulled back and looked at Kermit.
“You liked,” she asserted.
“I loved,” Kermit said. “I—I honestly don’t know what to say. It was…just wonderful.” He looked carefully over his shoulder. “Who would have thought that Pepe would have made such a good Elvis?”
Piggy shrugged. “For a little shrimp, he can be surprisingly h’okay.” She shot Kermit a sly look. “He is a king prawn, after all.”
Kermit groaned and took her hand, pulling her after him toward the dressing rooms to find Robin.
“Jeez,” he said. “Shouldn’t somebody be writing these down for Fozzie?”
“Don’t give him any ideas,” murmured Piggy. She slipped her arm around Kermit’s waist, proud to have pleased him and reassured by the look of contentment on his face. “Pepe’s already going to be insufferable. Let’s try to deal with one crisis at a time, shall we?”
Kermit laughed.
It was good advice. He didn’t know then how badly he was going to need it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yaey for the new chapterness! I'm sure some of the other regulars will come in and rave and review... You do know this is another one of those segments wthout a title right? Oh well, I thank you for the new chapter. Not long now till the show with Pepe' act debuts, along with all theother assorted goodness we've come to hexpect from this epic.

But tha last line... Ooh, some more classic foreshadowing as in chapters past. Scared for hat's going to happen, but I can take it. So post more soon, I'm going back to keep rereading though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Gettin' closer... Stopping after seven pages, need to get some rest in peace you know.

But here's what I've got so far, help with filling in the titles for the unnamed gaps would be most appreiated. If you've given them titles, that is...

Kermie's Girl.

Chapter 1: A Lucky Frog.
Chapter 2: Chez Roberto's.
Chapter 3: Treasure Seekers.
Chapter 4: At the The Frogs.
Chapter 5: Good Remembering.
Chapter 6: The Sum of the Parts.
Chapter 7: This Can't Be Much of a Picnic.
Chapter 8: Time Heals all Wounds.
Chapter 9: Piggy the Actress.
Chapter 10: Christmas in Vegas.
Chapter 11: Methinks the Pig Doth Protest Too Much.
Chapter 12: “Ate like a horse——slept like a log."
Chapter 13: Back to Normal.
Chapter 14: Untitled segment: where the Muppets are having lunch at the studio... And then Rowlf drives Scooter to the airport where he'll jet off to Sara's home for the holidays.
Opening quotes: “I told you,” the dark-suited man was saying to Gonzo. “The frog’s got vision. He's not afraid to buck the system.”
“You're telling me! I mean, go figure,” Gonzo was saying. “Who but Kermit would have cast me as a weird little man who likes to hang out with good-looking women?”.
Chapter 15: Untitled segment: This is where the Muppets are settling into the backstage theater area at the Palace... The songs "Twist And Shout" and "Dream" are here, along with Scooter at Sara's happy home.
Opening lines: The backstage areas were clean, roomy and well-kept, and all of the props and costumes Scooter had arranged to have shipped had arrived safely. Not everything was where it belonged, however, but this was taken in stride as the cast-members surged toward the dressing rooms to find their assigned place.
Chapter 16: Untitled segment: This is just after Piggy tore the latest article into confetti and then leads Robin out to go get dinner with Kermit, Scooter realizes he has to get to Vegas, and we add Bunsen and Beaker to the performing cast.
Opening quotes: “Sweetheart? You almost ready? I could eat a—“
“Coming!” Piggy said quickly, suddenly aware of how long she’d been back in the bedroom. She surveyed the confetti-strewn room in dismay, then took Robin firmly by the hand and pulled him after her toward the living room of their suite. “C’mon, Robin—we’ve got to get some food in your Uncle before he starts chewing the furniture.”
Chapter 17: Untitled segment: This is where Scooter and Sara arrive at the backstage setting in the Palace, along with Rowlf suggesting to Piggy to flip the singers for "One Fine Day".
Opening quotes: “Need any help?”
At the sound of Scooter’s voice, Fozzie turned, dropped everything in his hands and ran to embrace Scooter in a crushing bear hug.
“Scooter! Oh, Scooter—I am so glad you're here, I could kiss you!" Scooter set his glasses back on his nose and patted Fozzie in what he hoped was a reassuring manner. “That’s okay, Fozzie,” he said dryly. “I brought my own.”
Chapter 18: Untitled segment: Kermit and Piggy are satisfied with their reworked version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and Mabel's making lighthearted banter with the hecklers and their wives.
Opening quotes: Rowlf barreled through the end of A Christmas Song, his paws flying over the white and black keys. After the last note had died away, Piggy looked at Kermit unhappily.
“Kermit, I don’t think this is working.”.
Kermit frowned. “Me either,” he admitted. He looked at Piggy dismally. “What are we doing wrong?”
Chapter 19: Untitled segment: Mabel explains she understands Beaker's speech and Kermit plans his practical joke for Fozzie.
Opening quotes: Scooter poked his head around the doorway of the kitchen.
“I know, Honey,” Mabel was saying, ladling soup into a sipping bowl for Beaker. “It’s the same wherever you go.”.
Beaker sighed and nodded. “Mee mee Mo Mee Mo Mo Meep.”
Chapter 20: Funny Doin's Back Stage.
Chapter 21: Untitled segment: Kermit and Scooter are amazed at Robin's handling of the sound boards, and then Thoreau presents Kermit with the leather jacket for his 50's songs.
Opening quotes: Scooter ran into Kermit outside the sound booth.
“Hey Scooter—I'm just going to get Robin. Who's up now?”.
“Johnny’s on stage for Christmas All over the World’ with Amy Lu and Gloria Jean and Sally Ann and Laura May.”. He looked at Kermit. “How do you think this is going to fly?”.
Chapter 22: Untitled segment: Floyd suggests musical acompaniment for Gonzo's act to Kermit, Janice gets Thoreau to work on a special surprise for her, and Kermit and Rowlf are reminiscing about the old days during boxed lunches prepared by Mabel.
Opening quotes: “Hey, Kermit—hang back, man. Got a plan for your little blue dude and his thing.”.
Floyd Pepper, the hippest of the hip, was sometimes incomprehensible to Kermit, but this time Kermit was able to follow him with relative ease. “Something for Gonzo? Sure thing, Floyd—let’s hear it.”.
Chapter 23: Strange Meetings.
Chapter 24: (Probably one of the best chapters) Kermit and Piggy meet the casino businessmen for brunch while the boys are hiding back in the shadows watching the dream girls' secret practice dance poses.
Also, this segment contains the first half of Opening Night's Muppets Vegas Review.
Opening quotes: “I hate these things,” Kermit muttered without moving his lips.
Piggy squeezed his arm and favored him with a sweet look, but her voice was more of a growl. “Cost of doing business,” she murmured, also without moving her lips. “Now smile and act nice.”.
“Me?” Kermit gritted, annoyed, but they were at the maitre de’s podium now and he had to swallow his ire. “Um, Mr. and Mrs. The Frog. We’re meeting some other people—“
Chapter 25: Untitled segment: Kermit explains the prank to Fozzie and the second half of Opening Night's Muppets Vegas Review is almost ready to start, after the band files past in their Christmas best (or worst according to Thoreau).
Opening quotes: They had 20 minutes to change and get everything ready for the Christmas half of the show. Normally, Kermit would have taken a moment to rest and get centered, but once again he had something important to take care of. He went looking for Fozzie.
Chapter 26: Untitled segment: The Christmas half of the Muppets' Opening Night Vegas Review.
Opening lines: The audience shifted excitedly in their seats as soon as the Electric Mayhem took the stage, even though the lights weren’t on yet. At Dr. Teeth’s signal, there were four quick clicks of the drumsticks, then a blast of noise and sound as all of the stage lights—including the Christmas lights on Janice’s dress—lit up in two long bursts and then four short ones that corresponded to Dr. Teeth’s voice shouting “One, two, one, two, tree, four—“
Chapter 27: Untitled segment: "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "Silver Bells" song finale.
Opening quotes: “And then Scooter and Sara came waltzing out of the girls room, too,” Rizzo complained to Clifford. Clifford started to say something, but Rizzo cut him off again as the ladies began to file out.
“How come he gets to come in?” Rizzo asked indignantly. “First Piggy’s pet dressmaker, then Pepe and now Scooter—how come everybody and their brother-in-law gets to come in and I had to move out?”.
Chapter 28: Untitled segment: Kermit's cheering the cast for a job well done, talks to Rizzo and Pepe about adding their own individual acts, and Howard and Thoreau talk shop late at night once everybody's left.
Opening lines: Backstage, everyone had gathered around Kermit. He hopped up on one of the colored cubes from the Dream Girls number and surveyed his cast and crew. Their eager faces were upturned to his, waiting for his approval.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Catherine... Just finished reading through the whole story so far, and I found the following...

Chapter 29: After the Show.
Chapter 30: Revelations.
Chapter 31: At the Disco.
Chapter 32: Facing the Reviews.
Chapter 33: Untitled segment: Backstage happenings, this is where we find Rizzo's and Pepe's songs, along with the ten things game between Kermit and Piggy.
Opening quotes: “Hey Babe,” Floyed said, settling his arms around Janice’s waist. “We got the all-clear from the boss-man. What say we take a little turn around the strip, recreate a little.”.
Janice lifted her arms to his shoulders and smiled up at him. “Sounds great, babe. Let me check with Howard, first, and I’ll, like join you in the lobby.". She kissed him then, a nice, thorough kiss that left him blinking, then turned and sauntered away.
According to the narrative of this chapter... The following happened regarding the two new acts.
a. Rizzo and Gonzo were approached by Sally Ann to complete the three-part harmony.
b. Pepe performed the song with almost the entire cast at the auditions.
c. Kermit and Piggy watch Rizzo and the others perform the song for the frog, seeking his approval.
Chapter 34: Bunsen Honeydew Decorates for the Holiday.
Chapter 35: Baby's Got a Brand New Act.
Here's where I think the confusion arose Cath...
"After previewing Pepe's act, Kermit had had most of the afternoon to himself, so he and Robin had taken a turn around the hotel. Casino’s were interesting places, but nowhere for a small frog to be by himself. Kermit let him put a quarter in one of the one-armed bandits and pull the lever. Not surprisingly, there was no match.".
You said Kermit previewed Pepe's act, but the only new act he's witnessed so far was Rizzo's version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas".
Chapter 36: Exceeding Expectations.
Further confirmation that Kermit still hasn't previewed Pepe's act...
Thoreau: "I want this to be a surprise when we show Kermit tomorrow morning.".
Chapter 37: Changing.
Chapter 38: Dark Men.
Chapter 39: Untitled segment: Kermit and Piggy arrive at the disco, Pepe finds Bunsen a dancing partner, and finally Beaker and Laura May join the dance as well.
Opening quotes: “Better?” asked Scooter. He was wearing soft, almost-white denims and a blue chambray dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Sara stepped close to him and tugged on his collar, then ruffled his hair. “There—that's better.”.
“Sara—don't mess my—". Sara made a very Piggy-sounding growl, stepped close to him and kissed him for a long time with her fingers all tangled in his hair. After a very indecent interval, she stepped back and surveyed her handiwork with pride.
Chapter 40: Hair of the Dog.
Chapter 41: Machinations.
Chapter 42: The Return of the King.

So out of the forty-two chapters posted so far, only twenty-seven of them have individual titles and fifteen are missing their titles, check this post and the previous one for which segments I refer to.

You were right, Kermit only previewed Rizzo's song, not Pepe's dance number. And though I haven't posted a full review yet, it was soooo glorious to get that dance number with everybody in full costume last chapter.

Things that I'm looking forward to:
a. Next chapter, whenever it gets posted. Didn't take long for Rizzo's number to get featured in the next show, so I'm hoping, ever so happily hoping for when Pepe's gets added as well. Not to mention a certain dame that I definitely expect to show up. If you can um, maybe see your way to have her walk in and be part of the show that is.
b. You mentioned that Foo-Foo would also be coming... Not sure if this is still in the cards... But maybe you've had a chance to talk to Beth. Like one of Lisa's stories says, a little harmless flirting wouldn't hurt. So long as it's just flirting, cause I believe that dog has a ceremony in his future. But no, I've said too much...
c. You mentioned Kermit got a seed of an idea for the actual Christmas so as that Robin wouldn't be disappointed. Genuinely interested in finding out what that frog's scheming.
d. The man who was outside the casino spying on everybody that entered or exited, surprised by the little old lady in green and red shorts and a Christmas tanktop... Should we be wary of this personage in future updates as the narrative develops?
You know, I think I have an inkling as to who Scribbler's boss may be. Though I won't spill it...

Oh, and in two weeks I shall debut my own little story for the day of all calendar couples. Look for it coming to a forum near you!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes... The original mastepiece from that Virginian vocabularist. Certainly am excited to find out wht happens next, if Scribbler gets pangs of conscience comiscerating him to the poisoned fruits of his yellow journalism... Or if the next Muppets' performance inVegs will go off without a hitch given the hype it's received over the holiday brake. Please Ru, your fans await the next nspiring installment!

Would also like to get the chapter titles or the segments missing their individual headings, should I hve to send the story along to interested readers who've fallen far behind. *Hint, nod to my southern cber-sister.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 43: A Royal Flush

“Hey there, little fellow,” said an ultra-cool familiar voice. “Heard you fellas had parked your boots here at the Palace.”
Rizzo the Rat looked up in surprise. Three smiling faces beamed back at him.
“Ace!” said the startled rodent. “Hey!”
He embraced one of the tall, black-haired men warmly, and was soundly thumped on the back in return.
“Hey,” he said again. “How are you guys?”
“We are,” said the second gentleman, striking a pose, “almost too good to be true! Thank you very much.”
“Have mercy,” said the third man. “If we were any better, we’d be quadruplets!” He shot a finger gun at Rizzo in a friendly gesture, and Rizzo pretended to take a hit.
“I thought we’d missed you guys!” said Rizzo. “I came down to say hi when we first rolled into town, but the sign said you were—“
“Gone for the holidays! Yes, indeed. We were indeed.” Deuce smiled and patted his belly in a self-satisfied manner. “Ace and Trey and I went home to Nashville to see Mama, but we’re back now. Can’t miss Christmas in Vegas, don’t ya know?”
“Well that’s just great!” said Rizzo. “Come backstage and say hi to everybody!”
“Oh, no can do, little buddy,” said Deuce. “We must get back to our own stage to get things ready for tonight’s show.”
Rizzo put his hands on his hips, looking disgruntled. “Don’t tell me you’re our competition?”
“Not to worry, Rizzo,” said Ace with a laugh. “The Palace is run by very savvy dudes. We have staggered showtimes, which means we ought to be able to run over here after the matinee and catch some of the show before our own gig begins again.”
“That’s what I’m talking about!” said Rizzo. “They sure seem to know their stuff around here. Speaking of—boy do they feed us well! You’ve got to come and see the spread that—“
“Ah, the lovely Mabel,” said Trey reverently. “She is almost as good a cook as Mama.” He looked around carefully. “Maybe better, but don’t tell Mama. She does like to feed her boys.”
“So does Mabel, but I see you know her.” He looked at them wistfully. “You guys get to live here all year long—with Mabel’s cooking, and when the show is over I’ll have to go back to eating at the commissary back home. And you know what that means!”
“Have mercy,” said Ace. “The man with the hat.”
“Yeah,” said Rizzo. “He’s a nice guy, but just once—just once, I tell you—it would be nice to not have to play my food before I eat it.”
Deuce put a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Be brave, little soldier. Stock up while you’re here, and be sure to catch the show.”
“Wouldn’t miss it!” said Rizzo enthusiastically. “What time again?”
“Matinee at 3:30,” said Trey. He fired another finger pistol at Rizzo. “Don’t be late.”
“Count on it!” said Rizzo. “Oh—and I’m bringing a date!”
“You are the man,” said Ace approvingly. “I am the king, but you are the man.”
“Hey now,” said Deuce. “I believe we decided that I am the king.”
“Indeed we did not,” said Trey. “I am the king, as all the fan mail will….”
They were still arguing amiably as they moved off. Rizzo smiled after them, then shook himself out of his reverie. If he was going to make the show, he had a few things to do before then to get ready for his own performance tonight. He shook a leg, humming “Blue Suede Shoes” under his breath.

“Hey, Babe,” Floyd said, hoping he sounded cool and nonchalant. “Lookee there—the Hard Rock Chapel of Eternal Jams.” He had steered Janice around the block in a painfully casual manner just to end up here, staring up at the neon guitar on the steeple.
Oh Jeez, Janice thought. He’s suspicious. He knows. She turned and looked up at the fake white clapboard structure as though she’d never seen it. “Looks like a little chapel,” she mused. “Cute.”
Floyd hesitated, not wanting to tip his hand. “You—you want to go in? Look around?”
Janice hesitated, trying to think what her normal reaction would be under the circumstances. “Look around?” she said nervously. “What for?”
Floyd felt his heart plummet. When your woman doesn’t want to even look around in a wedding chapel with you, it’s a sure sign that things are not good.
“Just for laughs, babe,” he said, hoping he sounded casual.
He sounded so casual, in fact, that Janice visibly relaxed. “Okay, Honey,” she said at last. “It’s cool.”
It’s cool?! thought Floyd. Now where have I heard that before? His heart sank in his chest. It was official—he was losing his woman to someone else.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh like wow! The Elvisses! Knew it was them, and loved their individual nams. Though why do I suddenly feel like humming "Painting the Roses Red" as the Ace, Deuce and Trey argue amongst themslves? And you simply cannot end the chapter on such ungroovy a note! Floyd and Janice splitsville? Nooooo, Ru, come bck and post more! Please!