JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

• Yes, take advantage of the new technology

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No, don't mess with the magic of the original

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
"Cast List"

This is intresting, Imdb now has the "cast" list up. Here's the rundown. If anybodys intrested...

Directed by
Brian Henson

Writing credits (in alphabetical order)
Annette Duffy screenplay
David Odell screenplay

Cast (in credits order)
Stephen Garlick .... Jen (voice)
Lisa Maxwell .... Kira (voice)
Billie Whitelaw .... Aughra (voice)
Barry Dennen .... Chamberlain (voice)
Michael Kilgarriff .... General (voice)
Jerry Nelson .... High Priest (voice)

If correct this list is near complete. Hmm...aren't the Skesis now the Urskeks? Never could spell that word. Has anybody brought this up? The Dark Crystal being my favorite movie, I'm really confused. Well all they need now is Trevor Jones on board.

beaker

Reaction score
All I gotta say, is between the news of Dark Crystal 2..along with Dark Crystal the anime series, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth manga comics, Fraggle Rock th emovie and a new Muppet film...it's a glorious new era coming soon. Having just seen MirrorMask, its good to see Jim Henson back with a creative vision.

Incidentally, I saved my email correspondance with someone who was a veteran at Jim Henson Creature Shop London, where even as far back as 2002 or 2003 they really wanted to do a sequel. Back in 1998 Brian Henson said they were thinking of a Dark crystal prequel.

As long as puppets and animatronics are prominent, this will be absolutely glorious. So yeah, I guess the Disney aquisitionis freeing up JHC for all these awesome dream projects.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I am in full support of this project. I've wanted a sequel ever since I saw the original.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I'm confused

"Hmm...aren't the Skesis now the Urskeks"..you're right they would be because in the last one they left the planet...so how would they be two again..because it really had nothing to do with the crystal but it was because of their greed and pride that a shard broke off causing them to split..I know this may not make sense..But if someone broke off the same piece that was restored it would be the Urskeks because they were united together..I would think they would come back in the same way they left. In fact that's how they met Aughra. Hmm seems like to me the company needs to do some more research such as reading "The world of the Dark Crystal".

cabbageheat

Reaction score
alright Trevor!

good, im glad they got Trevor Jones. That movie would not be the same without him, there is no way anyone else could capture the ambiance of the world like him, it would be like directing the sequel without Jim Hens. .. . oh, wait they are. . .

I must be the only skeptic of this so called prequel/sequel. I LOVE dark crystal, but I'm not really sure where in the world they could go with this. I just read an old article, one interviewing Jim and Gary Kurtz about the movie, and they were adament even then, they had no plans to do a sequel, that there was really no where for the film to go. They talked about how sequels are really just the same story, told differently and not worth it, they were made just to put more money in the bank. Their tone seemed to indicate, they were pretty much against anything like this. I forgot where I saw this, because I did a Google search, and found someones website dedicated to the film, and scanned in a magazine article from the 80's, that interviewed them both.

but I think it was spot on. How else can you do this film again? There's only one way. . . crack the crystal again. A prequel may have been interesting, but I"m not sure. I think this film is one of the rare gems that just needs to be left alone. i dont' know, i guess time will tell, but sorry, I'm skeptical. I think they are messing with a classic, because since Jim passed away, there hasn't been alot of ideas/creativity left in the company. You can really see how Jim was the visionary, he definately left his mark.

King Prawn

Reaction score
I find it intresting that Disney will be the ones to release The Dark Crystal 2

I'd have never though in a million years i'd ever see a seaquel to The Dark Crystal released by Disney