JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

• Yes, take advantage of the new technology

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No, don't mess with the magic of the original

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
crazed gonzo fa said:
I had this weird dream last night that I was watching "The Power of the Dark Crystal". I regret that I don't remember much except that Jen had a son named Heerrong or somthing like that. Weird huh?
Heerrong? As in "at first I thought we would cast him, but it turns out heerrong for the part."

:stick_out_tongue:

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Heerrong? As in "at first I thought we would cast him, but it turns out heerrong for the part."

:stick_out_tongue:
Like I said it was just a dream and you never know what weird stuff you dream.:confused: :crazy:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a doozy of a dream last night. I wish it had been about The Dark Crystal!

nickmetroid

Reaction score
Well I'm sort of 50/50 on what to choose on the poll. I want to see a sequel but keep it to puppets/animatronics and not do it in CGI (except maybe for certain special effects) as I think modernising it will just ruin the experience.

Lazarus

Reaction score
None exisit so far...except for the picture of Queen Kira. You can find it on Mr.Froud's website.

quixotic

Reaction score
yes another year, if not longer, is a huge time to wait for this. In fact a part of me wants it to be longer becasue I want them to take their time and make it perfect, or whatever it turns out to be.

Im sad that they cant produce somthing original, but I want to keep an open mind at the same time, becasue the world created by Froud held so much potential and depth. There is danger of spoiling the first film I know, and I must admit, sounding rather annoyed fan-like at the same time, Im scared about the cgi content. If its anything like Mirrormaask's use of technology for backgrounds, I think I seriously might cry. I liked that movie, it was like a picture coming to life, so I didnt mind the 'drawing' feeling the backgrounds created and infact they rather worked with the story, but sometimes the characters just feel like they are floating around on blue/green screen, and its hard to not see through that when you are not a young kid watching it.

Maybe its telling me that I sadly need to get a taste for films suited towrards older audiences, or maybe these people should just realize the beauty and art in set building! Is that so 'old-fashioned' of me? Im mean the sets in DC and Labyrinth still look fantastic to this day in my opinoion. Using entirely cgi backgrounds means that PODC will age in ten years time, it will look dated regardless. I know that DC and Labyrinth look alittle dated, but not so much as if they had done everything with the digital tehnology available to them in the eighties. Even old animation made using stop-motion ages better than pure cgi in my opinion as its physically there.

Im going to rant again now, but Im sick of people telling me that we should move with the times. What happens to all those people who come out of set design degrees each year, where do they go? Are their talents considered pre-historic now, or what? Okay, okay, so cgi allows things to not be limited as to what one person can physcially create, but come on, I dont buy all of this 'oh look what we can do now, that we couldnt have done before'. In a way these old films are far more imaginative, becasue they push thier skills to the limit using digital hand-in-hand with animatronics etc, and pull out wonderful ideas. If you look at the drift between the eighties and nineties when things were changing, and the film Willow introduced the morphe (spelling?) that used the skills of animatronics with cgi work it was magic. Im yet to be convinced Im afraid!

It simply frustrates me thats all.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. It certainly is not old fashioned to like built sets. The way I see it, a movie should use as little computer effects as possible. I think it's hard to enjoy a movie that has bad special effects.

quixotic

Reaction score
Thanks for agreeing I think many people have the same opinion, I stand firm in forcing myself to remain optimistic though, I at least want to walk into the cinema, with an open mind. Im just hoping it wont disappoint!