Indy 4

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I thought Gremlins created PG-13. I haven't seen the movie yet, but (forgive me when I say this) Temple of Doom was my favorite. Please give me a head start so I can run for the hills.
Actually I was wrong there. Both Doom and Gremlins were rated PG and led to the PG-13 rating's creation about a month later. The Wiki says: The MPAA introduced the PG-13 rating on July 1, 1984 warning parents about potentially shocking violence, cursing, and mature subject matter that may be inappropriate for children under 13. The first widely-distributed PG-13 movie was Red Dawn (1984), followed by Dreamscape (1984), and The Flamingo Kid (1984), (the first film actually so rated by the board).

I think the rating helps add adult interest to films without alienating and restricting younger audiences. Marvel announced the films created and released through their studios will be rated PG-13 or lower. Good call. There's always room for an unrated DVD edition.

I do think Indy 4 could have gone more dark and gruesome without earning an R, but I don't think Spielberg felt it was necessary for the story. Remember, he did digitally replace the policemen's shotguns with flashlights in the remastered ET version. But heck, if you throw a flashlight really really hard I'm sure it can leave a mark! :stick_out_tongue:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I thought Gremlins created PG-13. I haven't seen the movie yet, but (forgive me when I say this) Temple of Doom was my favorite. Please give me a head start so I can run for the hills.
Yeah, basically it was all Steven Spielberg's fault.:smirk::wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I loved the film....but as a sequel to (MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS! READ NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT! SERIOUSLY, I HAD IT SPOILED FOR ME AND IT'S NOT FUN!) Close Encounters.

Also, Indy hasn't aged a day :stick_out_tongue:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I shall probably like it when I see it, but strictly speaking UFOs and extra-terrestrials really don't feel like normal standard Indiana Jones sort of material to me personally :confused:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
What I wanted was an Indy movie.

What I got was an Indy movie, and that's quite enough for me.

Meanwhile, I like that aliens are too hard for people to believe but mystically powerful Jewish zombie wine cups are okay.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...This appears to be a popular criticism.

:eek: Temple of Doom wasn't religious unless you count that freaky heart-grabbing-while-still-beating-in-your-chest cult. I think many people have placed an undue mandatory Judeo-Christian veneer over a simple cave exploring adventure film inspired by secular serials. All the Indy elements are present. Sure, two films out of the four are based on traditional religious artifacts (the two best ones) and two aren't.

As a little note - could some folk note the spoilers in their posts ahead of time? If I hadn't already seen the film the day of release I'd be hoppin' mad. Just something to consider. :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
What I wanted was an Indy movie.

What I got was an Indy movie, and that's quite enough for me.

Meanwhile, I like that aliens are too hard for people to believe but mystically powerful Jewish zombie wine cups are okay.
I take it this is a reference to what happens to Donovan near the end of The Last Crusade? When he drinks from the false Grail he does sort of transform into a zombie a split second before he turns into dust.:scary: :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw it and loved it. in all honesty, I forgot all the Indy movies I saw, since I was pretty young when I saw them on TV. There clearly were nods to the old series, like the shot of the arc of the covanant in Area 51. Anything else bounced off my head.

I too thought the interdimentional stuff was a bit off, but I still thought it was fitting, and just absolutely a gret way to restart a film franchise.