Indy 4

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is this still doing alright? I heard the Sex in the City film took the #1 spot, and I got Mundo worried.

But once again... loving the merchandise. Too bad all i got so far was a couple Snicker bars and 2 of the BK action toys.

I really want that Mr. Potatohead and those little Adventure Heroes figures.

I love that. Transformers, Marvel, Star Wars, and Now Indy. Funny thing too, since Transformers, Star Wars, and Indy were all published by Marvel comics at one time. Sort of an unnoficcial Marvel figure team up line.

Now if they only made ALF Alien Heroes and Bill and Ted Time Travel Heroes....

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Handicapping Weekend Films: What About Indy?

:wink: As of Wednesday Indy 4 has grossed $226,664,201 US during its 2 weeks of release, while Sex & the City has grossed $73,204,691 US in its first week. Sex & the City is fairly popular, yet I believe it to be a quick impressive trend that will sink soon (in other words - everybody who wanted to see it has seen it and the thrill is over). Indy is a bigger franchise that has more staying power, however it will unfortunately begin getting lost among this summers other offerings.

:eek: The real surprise is Kung Fu Panda which is largely receiving favorable reviews. The ads have dumbed it down or gotten it wrong as relating to the film's depth. Apparently there's a little more to Panda. It will likely receive the top spot. City will likely be in close competition with Indy for the number 2 spot unless that new Adam Sandler abomination is a hit (man, I hope it bombs, but have little faith in US auds).

The real hit of the summer might just be Iron Man with a five week $280,045,742 US take thus far! That's Indy's real summer competition in the long-run. The disappointments to date have been Speed Racer's dismal $41,381,592 four week domestic take and Narnia's (impressive, but underperforming) $119,033,058 three week domestic take due to bad timing of release (it should have come out opposite Water Horse last Christmas as originally planned). I suspect next week's top 5 to be:

1. Kung Fu Panda ($40M+)
2. Indy 4 ($30M+)
3. Sex & the City ($20M+)
4. Zohan ($15M+)
5. Iron Man ($8M+)

:confused: Of course, these are merely projections of popularity at the US box office. It has no bearing on the actual figures or quality of each film. We'll see how it goes.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
I'll probably be seeing Indy and Kung Fu Panda this weekend.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:eek: The real surprise is Kung Fu Panda which is largely receiving favorable reviews. The ads have dumbed it down or gotten it wrong as relating to the film's depth. Apparently there's a little more to Panda. It will likely receive the top spot. City will likely be in close competition with Indy for the number 2 spot unless that new Adam Sandler abomination is a hit (man, I hope it bombs, but have little faith in US auds).
I'm willing to actually give Panda a shot. I'd rather save up and see Bleach this week in one of the 2 days they decided to run it (in the middle of the week, no less...) and wait for Panda to hit the dollar cinema (which isn't that much cheaper, frankly) after I see Wall E. I'm glad there's more to it than the fart and fat jokes all over the previews. The character designs are amazing. I'll give it that. makes me want some of that merchandise.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Close Predictions

My Estimates:
1. Kung Fu Panda ($40M+)
2. Indy 4 ($30M+)
3. Sex & the City ($20M+)
4. Zohan ($15M+)
5. Iron Man ($8M+)

Projected* Weekend Box Office:
1. Kung Fu Panda - $60M (Better than expected, but top slot.)
2. Zohan - $40M (I mentioned my lack of faith in US tastes.)
3. Indy 4 - $23M (Did beat City)
4. Sex & the City - $21M (Right on the mark)
5. The Strangers - $9M (Who'd have guessed?)
6. Iron Man - $7.5M (Right on the money - $289 total.)

Wow, so Zohan did better than I had hoped. I thought it might, but reports are Sandler is trying to transition into thrillers and dramatic pictures instead of this sort of junk. Panda did much better than my estimate. Should be a good film! Sex & the City dropped behind Indy (as I thought it would), The Strangers is amazingly gripping firm dropping Iron Man to 6th for it's 6th week of release. It's amazingly popular! Poor Narnia isn't performing as well as predicted - heck maybe people like me should finally see it rather than put it off another week. Speed Racer isn't even on the top 12!

Back to Indy 4 since this is what the thread's about. It's at #3 in it's third week ($23M this weekend) bringing its US gross to $253M. It's great, yet not quite as fantastic as was hoped. I want to see it break the $300M domestic mark like Iron Man will. I expect they'll have an Indy marketing surge before the end of its run to squeeze more profits out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow, so Zohan did better than I had hoped. I thought it might, but reports are Sandler is trying to transition into thrillers and dramatic pictures instead of this sort of junk.
I give the guy credit. At least he played a character of ethnicity in this one, instead of generic guy from New York or New Jersey. he even managed to play that sort of thing in Water Boy, when he was a Loo'siana boy. But still, seems like something made for one of a dozen different SNL stars. I think his best work was well behind him. In the 90's.

Oh! Oh! Oh! He should change his name to Jim Carrey!
I wouldn't say that. Ace Ventura (one and two) and especially The Mask were all a hundred times better than most of Adam's earlier films. Liked Happy Gilmore, though.