Indy 4

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I missed the nods to other Lucas films, what were they?

I probably give it a C+ as well, like Dave. What I liked about it was Indy, Mutt, and Marion, plus the mention of 2 other canon characters.

What I didn't like was:

• the stupid soft light used in every scene, dumb. It looked like that horrible Sky Captain movie. I can see what they were going for, but none of the other films were shot like that, why start now?

• the slow action scenes. The music was all hyped-up, but the action was a little too non-actiony for me.

• the somewhat anti-climactic final battle. What it was all about didn't really follow the other Indy adventures imo, save for TOD which wasn't biblical either, but you get what I'm saying.

• & the cheesy ending. 'Cept for the almost passing of the torch.

I'm probably gonna see it again just to be sure, and I'll definitely buy it on DVD just to complete the collection, but Raiders and Last Crusade will still frequent my DVD player more than the other two.

For the record, I'm a huge Indy fan, not a naysayer. Just didn't care too much for this film. Hopefully the next will be better, more Indy-ish.
:smile:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Saw the movie friday. Not bad. I didn't like seeing all the cgi in the movie, but I don't like seeing a lot of cgi in any movie.

The most interesting part of the movie I liked was the history part of the movie, since moi did major in history.

It wasn't bad. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I missed the nods to other Lucas films, what were they?
I'm fairly certain the opening scene was kind of a nod to American Graffiti. I don't know for sure, I've never actually seen the movie, but I would assume so.

The appearance of the Ark of the Covenant (nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark).

"I've got a bad feeling about this." Nod to Star Wars... wait, was that in the other Indiana Jones movies, too? I can't remember.

Hmmm. I think there was some other stuff. Can't recall.

By the way, when I said it followed the other Indiana Jones movies, I meant it did so in it's style. The other three were sort of based on the serials of the thirties and forties, so this one went along with the style of serials from the fifties, much the same as Star Wars was based on those.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just saw the moive last night and boy was it crazy! I mean Indiana Jones and aliens? No wonder, George ucus was working on the film. I agree that the movie kid of whisked by so fast. So out of 10, I'd give it a 8.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Thanks for your review, Anthony; I thought I was being too harsh. But now that it's a couple days later, I'll say I like it more today then I did Friday, but it's still not as good as the first 3. Actually, the whole first three quarters of it were great fun. It's just that last part where MAJOR SPOILER ALERT we actually see the alien's face and the UFO. The other supernatural artifacts were more vague, and besides, how are you going to find a greater treasure then the ark of the covenant or the holy grail? The other thing I missed from this one was there was no real gross part, y'know? No melting faces, no beating hearts pulled out of chests, no rapidly decaying Nazis. So her eyes caught fire, big deal. Get gruesome George and Steve! We can handle it!

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
LOL, right on bro.

I was expecting to see some gore when the ants were attacking, but alas, no. :cry:

The more I talk & think about Indy 4, I guess I like it more too. Others keep saying stuff like "well, it does take place in the fifties when that* was a big deal", which yeah - I know, so I'll keep that in mind for the second viewing.

* you know if you've seen it or read spoilers. :search:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's just that last part where MAJOR SPOILER ALERT we actually see the alien's face and the UFO. The other supernatural artifacts were more vague, and besides, how are you going to find a greater treasure then the ark of the covenant or the holy grail?
Well, on seeing MAJOR SPOILER ALERT the alien's face, we also saw an ancient crusader in The Last Crusade, and you basically see God destroy all the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark, so it really wasn't too far off. Though, I admit to feeling a bit weird about the aliens at first. I think it grew on me by the time I left the theater.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think they're trying to keep things PG-13. However, it was Temple of Doom that created the PG-13 rating and that had plenty o' gore!

Some critics and others think that ratings don't matter when figuring in film performance, but they do. It's -one- of the likely reasons why Iron Man will fare better than Dark Knight. I'm still looking forward to the DK film the most this summer.

I'm still wondering what the fall-off will be for Indy. It will likely be the top film this weekend (Sex and the City is the only big film opening Friday and it won't reach the top spot). My partner saw Indy on Tuesday night and it was packed! Hope this means another film within 5 years.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
I thought Gremlins created PG-13. I haven't seen the movie yet, but (forgive me when I say this) Temple of Doom was my favorite. Please give me a head start so I can run for the hills.