Home Improvement fans

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Based on various episodes I've seen so far, one thing I find intriguing about the dynamics of Tim and Jill's relationship is that Jill doesn't seem to ever stay mad at Tim or his shortcomings for very long, and in fact, there are many times where she either tries to be understanding of why he is the way he is, or forgives him without too much of a fight or argument (not that they don't occasionally have their squabbles) . . . and sometimes, even confide in Wilson about the problem and receive advice from him.

It's very unlike, say, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND. Yes, Ray and Debra have moments like this as well, but unlike Jill, Deb is more likely to lash out at Ray and stay mad at him over something, almost begrudging him in a sense . . . and, depending on that type of situation, Robert will usually side with Deb, Marie will usually side with Ray, and Frank just sits back, relaxes, and enjoys it all unfolding before him.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One reason Home Improvement worked so well, goes back to the foundation of Tim's standup act: Men are pigs!
Women understand relationships, romance, tenderness, and men understand tools, sports, and beer.
Jeff Foxworthy once said a woman's mind is like an eight lane superhighway. Men's minds are like a dirt path.
I like Home Improvent, but I love Raymond.Both show the dynamics in married couples, and how foolish men can be. And take it from someone with almost 20 years of marriage under his belt, both shows speak volumes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have heard it said that the only way to truly appreciate shows such as these is to be married yourself, because you have a better comprehension of the show and it's more relatable and identifiable . . . I guess I wouldn't know that, considering I'm not married myself, but I do believe that makes sense.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In watching more episodes of HOME IMPROVEMENT, I'm struck by something I've noticed that happens not only to Al, but something he seems to share with George Costanza from SEINFELD, in that they both seem to be on the receiving end of jokes and remarks about being fat.

With George, it's more or less random and isolated, but with Al, it's as routine as Tim's cracks about him always wearing plaid and flannel . . . and what gets me about this is that neither one of these characters are even really that fat . . . especially in George's case, when you compare him to, say, Newman, or even the carjack victim in the finale (plus, he's shorter than everyone else, so that affects the appearance of his build). Al, on the other hand, I'd say he's slightly paunchy at best, but I really wouldn't call him fat . . . I mean, even with his shirt tucked in, there's hardly any noticable muffin top or roly-polyness. Maybe it was funny at the time, but it just feels unnecessary to constantly belittle him about it when he's just not that fat. Now, his brother, Cal, on the other hand, he essentially is a bigger, heavier version of Al.

Also, of interesting trivia, but I just learned that the actress who plays Jill's sister is actually Richard Karn's real-life wife.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Jason Alexander (George Costanza) got more mileage out of being bald, chronically unemployed, and still living with his parents than being fat.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, with George, it was random moments where somebody would mention him being "stocky" or "having generous proportions," but with Al, it's as much as part of ridicule he receives for just about everything about his very being: his flannel, his beard, his being "dull," you name.

That being said, I saw an episode last night that was very much a clever satire of how the television industry works: Binford Tools has a new CEO who wants to take TOOL TIME national, as well as put more money into the show's budget, and even increase Tim's salary . . . the one condition to all of this is Tim has to fire Al, because apparently Al doesn't appeal to that coveted 18-35 age bracket that all television executives strive to appeal to - instead of being hip, Al appeals to those who need new hips. I will say, I did like how the new CEO worded the studies and research he relayed to Tim, in that TOOL TIME has reached out to old people who have already bought all their tools, now they need to reach out to the younger crowd looking to buy new tools.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Al also tended to take Jill's side when she and Tim had a falling-out.
But he never really invaded Tim's e would space. Tim might try to rig a lawnmower to get more power, all Al e ignorehas to say is "I don't think so, Tim". Tim would ignore the warning and havoc ensues.

mr3urious

Reaction score
With George, it's more or less random and isolated, but with Al, it's as routine as Tim's cracks about him always wearing plaid and flannel . . . and what gets me about this is that neither one of these characters are even really that fat . . . especially in George's case, when you compare him to, say, Newman, or even the carjack victim in the finale (plus, he's shorter than everyone else, so that affects the appearance of his build). Al, on the other hand, I'd say he's slightly paunchy at best, but I really wouldn't call him fat . . . I mean, even with his shirt tucked in, there's hardly any noticable muffin top or roly-polyness. Maybe it was funny at the time, but it just feels unnecessary to constantly belittle him about it when he's just not that fat. Now, his brother, Cal, on the other hand, he essentially is a bigger, heavier version of Al.
I have never recalled Tim making fun of Al for being fat. However, he makes fun of Al's unseen mom every chance he gets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Many of them are kind of subtle, like if you're a fat guy (like me), you pick up on it, but other people might not.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Is anyone not really a fan of the later seasons of the show?

I just felt like they were really boring and not even funny at all.