HBO Max to debut Sesame Street Seasons 51-55 and stream episodes from 50-year library

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I mean, that’s the fanbase’s logic for ya.

the “classic” era only applies to everything before 1993.
Exactly. And if Season 25 isn't considered "classic", why was it included in Volume 2 of the classic episodes package on iTunes/Netflix?

ssetta

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe 90s episodes are considered classic now, but I can’t think of episodes from the 2000s as “classic.” Or any era with Elmo’s World for that matter. And it’s like as for more current episodes, why did they choose to only go as far back as season 41? I think they could have just as well included season 40, since the format is basically identical.

But if they only have a limited amount of classic episodes, do you think it could just simply be because Sesame Workshop doesn’t WANT us to see the classic episodes?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe 90s episodes are considered classic now, but I can’t think of episodes from the 2000s as “classic.” Or any era with Elmo’s World for that matter. And it’s like as for more current episodes, why did they choose to only go as far back as season 41? I think they could have just as well included season 40, since the format is basically identical.

But if they only have a limited amount of classic episodes, do you think it could just simply be because Sesame Workshop doesn’t WANT us to see the classic episodes?
I'd assume:

they went with Seasons 41-45 because five seasons feels like more sense than six.
- the original deal was "X number of episodes on the streaming service," so after the several made up from the five seasons, there was only so many other episodes they could include.
-My theory behind their choice of "classics" is that they made this deal with Sesame to attract new subscribers. New subscribers would likely be new (or new-ish) parents wanting to share the show with their kids, and they most likely grew up watching the show in the 90s. I also suspect current events had a role in it (why else would they chose an episode with Hillary Clinton and another spoofing Trump).
-Also, all these episodes probably had to be re-negotiated with the various rights and such; the ones already on DVD/digital download were probably easier. They also probably had to be careful about which ones they picked because of the Joe Raposo stuff being cut; if an episode has a lot of his material, it might wind up being like 40 minutes instead of an hour.

DatH

Reaction score
Ugh, I hate that fanbase mentality, especially in Sonic
The term Classic first off is subjective, and relies on ones OWN past experiences with said media. Of course S22 can be considered a classic to many. Soon the mid 30s will be as well
Modern is whatever is current, so if there's changes....You can't really lump everything into the same category either
But that's just me

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At this point, I'd go so far as to include everything up to Season 39 as "classic." In spite of the differences in format and segments, the show as a whole seemed to maintain a mostly consistent feel and vibe up until then; Season 39 and after is when it starts feeling like a rather different show altogether.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Eh, I'm much more forgiving of modern stuff up until the episodes started on HBO (not blaming HBO, just to be clear). They had really just started to hit a sweet spot of sketches/songs that had a classic feel with a modern sensibility. Then they just chucked it all away.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
By then it is a completely different show on so many different levels.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Eh, I'm much more forgiving of modern stuff up until the episodes started on HBO (not blaming HBO, just to be clear). They had really just started to hit a sweet spot of sketches/songs that had a classic feel with a modern sensibility. Then they just chucked it all away.
Season 41-45 is legit one of my favorite eras in the history of the show. To me, it felt like it was the perfect combination of every era of the show. It felt like, this was the culmination, this is what the show was leading up to.

And then season 46 happened. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.