HBO Max removes nearly 200 Sesame Street episodes, modern specials, and the Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo

ssetta

Reaction score
You do realize you could have easily just taped each episode airing if you were that worried about cancellation.
I actually did tape a good portion of the episodes. But I just felt like it wasn’t the same as them being on TV. I know a lot of you weren’t even here when this was happening, as it was back in 2002-03. I tried to do a lot to get them to keep it. I tried petitions, emails, phone calls…nothing worked. I even spoke with the programming director of Noggin and she explained why they were taking it off the air. I tried telling her that there are people who cared about it, but she seemed to have no heart.

But that was a very long time ago and I don’t even think that’s relevant now. As another member pointed out, there is a disadvantage of streaming, which I’m actually fairly new to. I’m sure you’ll call me crazy. But I guess you never know if and when stuff will be taken down. And this is one of those tragic situations nobody can do anything about. I feel like all we can do is mourn the loss, just like when a loved one dies.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I get the feeling of being bummed with not being able to watch something on TV anymore, I was that way when reruns of Mystery Science Theater 3000 were officially removed from the Sci-fi channel in January 2004 when I was 11 years old…. But the fact that I had a huge collection of tapes (courtesy of my dad) from Comedy Central that I now own for myself was a huge blessing and took away that pain. I’d take that over nothing at all.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, HBO still has the rights to air "Sesame Street" and its spinoffs. One thing I can see happening is moving "Sesame Street" back to television in first-run for when the next season launches in November. And maybe "Sesame Street Classics" could return as well, and the now-former HBO Max releases could see the light of day on the HBO Network in the foreseeable future.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep... Cost-cutting and shifting of mission statement priorities for what you want HBO Max to be about. Agree with the comment about WB staying classy with that kind of reasoning, especially since I blame the massive hit they took after cancelling Batwoman for this outcome. :grouchy:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Well, after reading the CBR article, there may be a glimmer of hope that the classic episodes may end up on YouTube. If this holds true, that was my original prediction for a new home for viewing classic episodes. Though it won't be the same having to see the show's trademark sign logo watermark on the bottom of the screen.

ssetta

Reaction score
I’ve actually wondered if maybe Sesame Workshop can start their own streaming service. That way, they wouldn’t have to worry about any other company’s decision to pull any programming. I remember thinking something very similar back when Noggin got rid of all the old episodes. Noggin was a joint between what was then CTW and Nickelodeon, aka Viacom, which has always been known for making horrible programming decisions. It almost seemed like they didn’t want us to see the classic episodes. And we’ve come a long way since then. From that CBR article, it’s obvious that SW knows that people care about the classic episodes. So do you think it’s possible that they could start their very own streaming service?