Halloween (and Valentine's Day) Not Holidays?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Really? I didn't know that!
Well, as I see it, they're both holidays, and at least Halloween should be recognized as such. Some people, although I don't know about Christians, still recognize it's religios aspect. I personally try to recognize both religious and secular, as with Christmas, but that's another story.
:wink:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Both holidays were created by the chocolate company with Valentines day getting made by the chocolate and Hallmark. Everybody knows that they aren't holidays and they shouldn't even be treated as such.

Daneil

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is what happens. A legit and long-lasting religious holiday gets commercialized to the extreme. So much that people no longer take it seriously.

I think Halloween's pretty safe, but Valentine's Day is in trouble. So many people talk about "hating" it because of the emphasis on 'romantic' love.

Teheheman

Reaction score
heralde said:
This is what happens. A legit and long-lasting religious holiday gets commercialized to the extreme. So much that people no longer take it seriously.

I think Halloween's pretty safe, but Valentine's Day is in trouble. So many people talk about "hating" it because of the emphasis on 'romantic' love.
Yeah, like Christmas.....oops, I'm sorry, X-mas. Cause we are so politically correct in this country that we can't say Christmas anymore because it has the word christ in it.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to occasionally write "X-mas" when I was lazy, until I realized what it meant. Heh.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
Who cares if it is technically a holiday..it's still an excuse to party and get candy,

and heralde, what's wrong with "xmas"? The "-mas" comes from the Anglo-Saxon postfix for "festival" or "religious event and the "x" comes from Χριστος (Greek for "Christ").

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm ashamed to say I didn't know that. You're right. It is a correct term to use.

A lot of people think it's a secular substitute (and some may use it as such). And no one gets corrected. Heh, sort of like how the TV news kept calling 2000 the Millenium, they catered to ignorance rather than correcting people.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Are you sure that's what it means? No offense, but I'm still not convinced it's not just secular.
As for the two holidays at hand, Halloween does have a very rich history indeed, and Valintines Day is, infact, a saint's day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
::shrugs:: I've seen the Greek origin of "Xmass" a couple of places, so it could be true. The thing is, Xmas is sometimes used today in this culture as a secular way of avoiding the religious meaning. That's the problem people have with it. Very often, the original meaning of words is irrelevant to how they're used today.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh, I know exactly what you mean; happens all the time. But you've really seen it that way? That's cool!