Halloween (and Valentine's Day) Not Holidays?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just found out from my mom that Halloween and Valentine's Day aren't TECHNICALLY holidays, is this true?!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, Halloween used to be more a religious holiday but it's obviously much more secular now. And Valentine's Day is techincally a day for a Saint , but it too is fairly commerical nowadays.

And obviously, school doesn't close on these days, so in that way they are not technically 'holidays.'

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Then why do people treat them as if they were holidays?

And how does the concept of witches and monsters and mummies fit as a "religious" holiday?:wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Halloween came from a religious holiday called All Souls Day. It was a day to honor the dead, but was eventually dumbed down (at least in America) into dressing up in random costumes for fun.

The History Channel website explains that a little bit:

"Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated...with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas."

Here's the link:
http://www.history.com/minisites/halloween/viewPage?pageId=713

They are not holidays in that, they are not days off from school or work. But they ARE holidays in that we celebrate something on the days (at least in my opinion.)

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Hallowe'en used to be called hallow's eve, I believe. hera;de explained it way better.

I think she meant they aren't real because they are commercial, and they're not federal holidays.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Aw, thanks! Well to be fair, The History Channel was very helpful! But you're right about All Hallow's Eve.

Yeah I think that's what she might have meant as well, the difference between commerical and federal holidays. Good point.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Merci!

Also, if you have a significant other, Valentine's Day is very real and you better not forget it! :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't have a significant other, I have a bunny.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, St. Valentine's Day should be more about love in general, fer sure! :flirt:

Amazing though how America is so good at dumbing down holidays! I mean instead of honoring the dead, we dress up to get chocolate. Not that I don't enjoy Halloween the way it is now, but still!