First Look at Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles

Newton Gimmick

Reaction score
Well, WSJ sort of leaked this one out. It's been confirmed as official. I've got the picture and opinions over at the usual:

Nickelodeon's new TMNT first image

It's not perfect, and there's one potentially controversial change (but it's unconfirmed at the moment) and generally some positive stuff going on. Turtle fans should check it out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than the nunchuck nonsense (which does give me a feeling of dread), I actually kinda like this one. I was SOOOOO afraid we'd get some lame CGI rehash of the old series. I'm still weary of the whole Nick buy out. Either it becomes a huge success and they milk the heck out of it, or it becomes a total flop and they shove it in the same closet they keep Mighty Mouse in, taking them out only for an occasional T-Shirt.

I really hope they at least fix the Nunchuck situation. We shouldn't let some prudish Brits mess around with the series. Mikey's Nunchucks are as iconic as Darkwing Duck's gas gun. He's had that through 2 TV series, 4 movies and countless videogames.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i love it as a long time TMNT fan i am not disappointed...however isnt the upgrade to mikeys chuck more deadly

Other than the nunchuck nonsense (which does give me a feeling of dread),....
I really hope they at least fix the Nunchuck situation. We shouldn't let some prudish Brits mess around with the series. Mikey's Nunchucks are as iconic as Darkwing Duck's gas gun. He's had that through 2 TV series, 4 movies and countless videogames.
id argue Mikey's personality is more iconic then his weapon...aside from video games he has always improvised his weaponry....if they new weapon causes him to act more like Rapg then ill be upset

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mikey's personality isn't as consistent as his weapon. The Jeff Spicoli-esque surfer dude (very at the time for the show) personality ONLY covers the classic 80's series and Archie's comics based on them... the snarky wiseguy was seen in all 4 movies and the new series... and he had a much more subtle childlike one for the comics. But in everything, except for the final season of the 80's series and the UK re-edit, he had those chucks with him.

Though, I do question the fact they gave him something technically more violent.

All and all, I really hope we have a good tone for the series and like 2k3's series Casey Jones is an ample part of their team... he was woefully lacking in the 80's series, appearing only in 3 episodes (dude, that's the turtles' closest human friend besides April).

I wish Nick got a good look at the unused treatment for Ultimate TMNT, that combined elements of the new and old series... including the other mutants. And I really hope that they do not spend a good chunk of a season with wacky aliens and their technology that Shred Head wants to steal.

Newton Gimmick

Reaction score
Alex Deligiannis, the character designer for the series responded in a a tweet about the weapons:

"Regarding the weapons, that’s just one of many images that was used for the composite. Don’t get your panties bunched, it's ok. Promise."

"Incidentally, what kind of sense would it make to "outlaw" two wooden sticks, but replace them with a swinging blade on a chain? Come on."

Whether that confirms Mike will still have the chucks isn't certain. I'm thinking it may be a bit like the old cartoon, where they really started to downplay Mike using his nunchucks. He often used a grappling hook, of all things, as his weapon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Regarding the weapons, that’s just one of many images that was used for the composite. Don’t get your panties bunched, it's ok. Promise."

"Incidentally, what kind of sense would it make to "outlaw" two wooden sticks, but replace them with a swinging blade on a chain? Come on."
Ah, well, that's good to know. I still wonder what kind of tone they're going with this one. I REALLY hope this to be successful... and I REALLY hope Nick can get a good partner for DVD releases so we can get the rest of BOTH series on DVD in season sets.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks for the link... don't know that I'm all that enthused for it- but the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles don't look too bad here. It's just not my favorite as far as styles go.
I'm more interested in knowing when Lionsgate will release Seasons 9 and 10 of the 1980s classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on DVD!:search:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I want them to release the rest of the series... but yeah... you don't need to see seasons 9 and 10 of the series.

And Nick would probably release it... if not, the rights to the characters and the rights to the old series would put the show in an indefinite limbo. There was a LOT of problems concerning Disney's ownership of Saban's Marvel comics show before Disney bought Marvel... now there's definitely going to be problems with Marvel cartoons that WEREN'T done by Saban. Especially X-Men Evolution, a second season set of Spectacular Spider-Man, and the 1960's Fantastic Four. I don't know if Nick got the rights to the old series yet... they have the rights to the characters and how they looked then (check out the merchandise), sure... but I'm not sure of the series yet.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Honestly, I want them to release the rest of the series... but yeah... you don't need to see seasons 9 and 10 of the series.
Why do you say that? I remember watching Seasons 9 and 10 when it originally aired and I do at least have a few episodes on the Season 1 DVD. (I never really like those kind of deals when they release an additional episode from a future season on a season DVD release and promote it as an "extra". But I can see the benefits now as I may never see these episodes officially released otherwise.)
But yeah- I like the whole Dregg storyline arc. I didn't like not having Shredder and Krang there, but still- it was something different. And plus, I'm pretty much a completist and so I want to see every episode- no matter how good or bad people might say they were.:big_grin:
(And trust me- I've seen plenty of "bad" shows and movies and such- quality-wise that is- not "bad" as in evil and certainly not "bad" as in Michael Jackson's song.:crazy:)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
and the 1960's Fantastic Four. I don't know if Nick got the rights to the old series yet... they have the rights to the characters and how they looked then (check out the merchandise), sure... but I'm not sure of the series yet.
It would be great to see the 1960s cartoon series of The Fantastic Four get released to DVD. I'd be excited for the 1970s series too, sure- but honestly, I've seen episodes of both and I definitely like the 1960s series better because they keep The Human Torch in there and it's truer to the comics in that regard. (Even though later in the comics, the team does have a rotating membership every so often.)