First Look at Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles

Drtooth

Reaction score
But yeah- I like the whole Dregg storyline arc. I didn't like not having Shredder and Krang there, but still- it was something different. And plus, I'm pretty much a completist and so I want to see every episode- no matter how good or bad people might say they were.:big_grin:
I find Dregg to be a very dry, uninteresting villain. As cool as Tony Jay is, the character comes off as generic, and I'm no fan of Mung either. Now, I can't say the episodes are terrible... but it seems to me the writers of season 9 either knew they were getting fired, or had a feeling there'd be no season 10 or something and came up with cockamamie plot lines and stories to throw the next writer under a bus. Poor Jeff Scott had to deal with the lack of fun villains (though I dug the Globfather... he really should have used him more) and that doofy bit about the ultimate mutations. Though I DID like how the last episode called back one of the first episodes and gave the show a decent ending

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, they clearly are doing the CGI stuff... I'm sort of digging the designs... looks like Don and Mike have actually more dangerous weapons and the logo looks like it was taken directly from the first issues of the comic.

The "funnier and ninja-ier" comment could go either way.

Quite excited actually.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay- the video helped. I like the designs generally- I definitely agree that it looks more inspired from the original comic books- mixed in with some elements from the '80s cartoon and the "TMNT" movie. Looks like Michelangelo still has his nunchuks, which is definitely a plus- though it seems there is some sort of blade attached to the end of it. And Donatello's traditional bo staff now also has a rather sharp point at the end of it- more like a spear. Raphael and Leonardo look pretty on target. Will Splinter, Casey Jones, and April O'Neil be in this too? Surely Shredder will be there- perhaps Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady too? Or is the focus more on other villians?
I hope the writing quality will hold up- but it looks pretty decent so far.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lemme tell you this... if Casey Jones isn't a part of this, I'm writing the whole thing off as fail right now. There are 3 specific things I liked better about the 2k3 series than the 88 series, and Casey Jones being used in a good percentage of the episodes is one of them...

the other 2 being I liked how April was a better role model as a scientist (she seemed to care too much about getting a story half the time... plus, as a scientist, she bonded beautifully with Don), and the much darker version (uh... no skin tone pun here...that was an unfortunate wording) of Baxter Stockman... being more arrogant, a constant punching bag for Shredder and especially Hun, and the fact he was really tortured, almost suicidal near the end of the series. Seriously, the episode "Insane in the Membrane" was a work of art.

Now the perfect TMNT experience would be a blend of both shows (I kinda lump the new one and the movie together, that's where they took the characters' personalities from). Actually, a new Ninja Turtles series could benefit from looking at Batman Brave and the Bold. The series isn't as grim as Batman TAS, but it isn't as goofy as the 1970's series or Super Friends... instead it mixes the best of both worlds, the super fantastic cartoonish adventures of Super Friends, with the darker action of today's super hero shows... it makes serious characters silly and silly characters serious. It's deep, but not extremely involved. It's episodic, but connected.

Above all, I wish that somehow they got the Ultimate TMNT treatment I mentioned earlier... and hire back as many writers from both series back to collaborate.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Actually, a new Ninja Turtles series could benefit from looking at Batman Brave and the Bold. The series isn't as grim as Batman TAS, but it isn't as goofy as the 1970's series or Super Friends... instead it mixes the best of both worlds, the super fantastic cartoonish adventures of Super Friends, with the darker action of today's super hero shows... it makes serious characters silly and silly characters serious. It's deep, but not extremely involved. It's episodic, but connected.
I love how they put Batman: The Brave and the Bold show together. It's a nice throwback to the classic comic book title and it definitely is influenced, yes, by Superfriends some- but I think even more so of Batman- the '60s live action series. The opening intro definitely has a tribute to the show with Batman climbing up his Batrope.:smile: And I love that!
I think this show does a really nice job of mixing the serious and silly and keeping it on a good level for kids.
I don't really like these reinventions of cartoons that feel they have to be continually darker and more violent and such. I think they need to be clear about who their audience is- and if it's aimed to be appropriate for younger kids, then they should keep that in mind when it comes to the writing.
Of course, it's hard for me to get past the '80s TMNT cartoon since that was my first introduction to the turtles before ever finding out about the comics and all.
That and I tend to be kinda stuck in the '80s anyway- lol.:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The original comic was darker, and much more violent than the cartoon was. Even the first movie to an extent.

What truly bugs me is that we will obviously never see a TRUE TMNT cartoon, like the Maxx or Spawn that's made entirely based off the comics, and much more adult and deep. 2K3 was the closest we came, but it went off on its own tangents. I will say, I think you might just like Fast Forward. It was MUCH lighter than the rest of the 2K3 series... unfortunately, a little TOO light in some cases. And the characters' personalities were watered down... Splinter's once mentioned habit of watching soap operas became a complete obsession in that series, angsty Raphael turned into Oscar the Grouch, and Mikey was an idiot.

I've said this about the Smurfs, the cartoon is far more recognized than the rest of the legacy... and that's not necessarily a good thing. As far as Turtles go, I really hated it when merchandisers and other adults gave everyone Mikey's at the moment 80's surfer dude personality, and turned their association with pizza into an obsession (in the comics, they actually preferred Chinese take out!) Above all, the cartoon seems to make the notion of mutated turtles that live in the sewer sillier than it sounds. I mean, the idea of an alien humanoid flying around in spandex, and a rich guy with emotional baggage dressing up as a bat are pretty silly too. A certain giant rock creature seems goofy too, but he's one of the most tortured characters in comic history.

As for darker and violent... well, again, the comics these things are often based off of are a lot more depraved. But it was something that came about around Batman TAS... it was possible to do grittier stories and have characters actually hitting each other (Challenge of the Superfriends has Superman catching villains in their own traps... then letting them go... talk about irresponsible on Supe's part). Without Batman TAS, we wouldn't have had the X-Men cartoon. And the key to longevity with super hero cartoons is that they can be rebooted and re-imagined to an extent. Like how many different writers shaped the characters over the years.

I will say this, though... Archie did a MUCH better job with most of the other mutants. Leatherhead being a poverty stricken human that stole a mystic object, and was cursed to be a mutant gator... then being used by Shredder under the lie that they worked for that sorceress. Wingnut and Screwloose coming out of no where and destroying skylights to try to find the same villain that was pestering the Turtles, Krang. And then spinnning those guys off into another series? Seriously, I hope whoever does this cartoon read a LOT of Archie turtle comics.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be cool. I have some of Archie Comic's run on TMNT and I do like those comics. (Of course, I like Archie and the Riverdale gang in general anyway.):smile:
Thanks for the info about the FlashForward episodes of the 2003 TMNT series. I do tend to like the lighter episodes, but I have seen some episodes of the 2003 series and it's not like it's too dark that I don't care for it at all...but there is a distinct difference between it and the '80s cartoon. The thing is- I grew up with the '80s cartoon before ever seeing any of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics- so it's hard to get that nostalgic image out of my mind too. But I'm open to some new interpretations... there are just some boundaries that I hope they will be careful to keep in place, that's all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There were some very dark episodes of TMNT 2k3, that's for sure... but it's still kiddy time compared to what happens in the comics. I have a feeling you really wouldn't like the Michael Zuli issues (man, I wish there was an anthology TMNT series... that stuff needs to be animated).. but it still had it's fair share of light moments in the dark. problem is a lot of detractors just watched a few episodes, when I watched the entire run start to finish... all I can say is, I think they did a great job for the most part... I hate the Adlintian storylines in the 3rd and 4th season... but for the most part, it's been a pretty good series.

Then of course, some of the 80's episodes were too light. I know they had to do a number of episodes for season 3, but too many of those (for my taste) focused on the repetitive plot point of Shredder trying to take technology from aliens, and said wacky aliens. Wasn't the only reason why Shredder got stuck with Krang because of his technology? And of course, tyhe series wasn't safe from 1980's cliches like the Shriniking episode (there were 2) or the love potion episode... plus, there's that terrible episode with the giant mutant 2 headed cow, and they spent the half hour making bad cow and dude ranch puns.

But Cowabunga Shredhead is a classic. As are the first 5 episodes... sigh.. if only the rest of the series had the tone of those 5 test episodes... and the animation.

I just want this series to have a good balance... not get too silly, but not to stay so grim... again, Brave and the Bold should be the inspiration for this one. That found a great balance.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
if anything my major concern is that most nick shows dont make it past 3 seasons. with spongebob as their main line up