First Look at Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles

Drtooth

Reaction score
if anything my major concern is that most nick shows dont make it past 3 seasons. with spongebob as their main line up
Shudder....

I've been very weary of Nick's ownership. Sure, they keep the t-shirts going... but if they're going to give it the shoddy "No cartoon should ever last more than 2 seasons, and let's show everything in Europe first" crap that we've been hit with since last decade... well, the only one who won in this transaction is Peter Laird (Eastman gave in his share a long time ago). Sigh... I know a lot of "classic: fans don't want to admit it, but seriously... 4Kids kept TMNT going longer than anyone else would have. 2003-2009... Seriously, the only He-Man stuff around is expensive Matty collector figures (You can at least get He-Mensch and Skeletor at TRU, if you wanna pay 40 bucks and get Superman and Lex Luthor with them) and that was after the disastrous run of the 2003 He-Mang show. Of course, it helped that TMNT was 4Kids' premier franchise. Now all they got is Yu-Gi-Oh (and that's barely popular anymore) and Sonic X reruns. At least they got a small fraction out of the TMNT buy out.

Sigh... either they're going to milk this to oblivion or run it into the ground and throw it in a box in the back of the closet with Mighty Mouse and the Terrytoons never to be seen again!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
not to mention that maybe aside from the tshirts, and other random items sold at newbury comics,Spencers or Hot Topic

ive never seen much merchandise from Nick shows...

i wouldve killed for some danny phantom action figures

Drtooth

Reaction score
On that subject, there have been bursts of classic Nicktoons shirts lately. And not just Hot Topic. I saw some Hey Arnolds, Ren and Stimpys and even Rugrats at J.C. Penny last time I went (a few weeks ago). All they ever have is mediums and larges....

But there no doubt will be merchandise... unfortunately, Playmates said they'd still be on. I mean. they were the entire reason TMNT was animated in the first place (and from the report I heard, it almost single handedly saved the action figure as we know it). But their last line up, plus their willingness to dumpt TMNT for Terminator Salvation toys (I've made all the jokes possible why it was a horrible mistake and the product of bad management, I needn't bother making another), it really shows someone ELSE should make them next time. Though, honestly, I can't think for the life of me who. Mattel would suck at it.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Bandai might be a decent choice...they def know how to market to the 3-11 crowed, since they have power rangers.

its funny you say brave and the bold was a great series and i cant agree more, i almost would rather WB bought up TMNT they know what they are doing with their superhero animation department..even those dvd movies they put out i really enjoy

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ban Dai rarely knows what it's doing in the US. Seriously... you look at the extreme awesomeness that they do in Japan with everything from action figures to blind box figures to their specialty, Gatchapon figures... all wonderfully detailed sculpts... meh paint jobs in some cases, but absolutely beautiful tiny sculpts. They were the ones that came up with the little erasers of Kinnikuman we'd call M.U.S.C.L.E.s in the US (they also had this for several other shows... I highly prize the Samurai Pizza Cats ones I found at a comic store)... but when it comes to their US product, they either have something shoddy, or something that they drop the ball on marketing. They're the reason we didn't see a second (better) season of the Mega Man cartoon show.. and worse... the reason we didn't see miniature Mega Man 2 figures based on that show. Their The Tick line was disgraceful.

As for WB... well, they were the first to REFUSE to make a TMNT series. In the early bit of last decade before 4Kids did it, WB proposed a TMNT series... the turtles would have looked exactly like their comic book/ 1980's action figure selves.. but Shredder looked awful, Splinter looked awful, April and Casey were teenagers and looked awful... I don't even know where those designs exist anymore... but I'm grateful we DIDN'T get that version of the show. Plus, the way they handled their product just before they sold their line up to 4Kids (Legion of Super Heroes NEEDED a third season), I'm not so sure about them either. I'm glad they're picking up in their super hero cartoon production, but like everyone else, it's 2 seasons or less, show everything in Europe first.

Among other things, I hope Viacom can play nicey nice with Stan Sakai... I do NOT want a split between TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo. That was the best part of 2k3... episodes that featured Usagi that were SO good, he should have had his own series... sigh... I wish 4Kids did a Usagi series the same tone the 2k3 Turtles were... Usagi was robbed of a cartoon once, no thanks to Bucky O'Hare being a flop.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That seems to have just surfaced recently... In all the years I knew about that version of the show, I didn't even think they got that far. Looks pretty good, but I'm still glad the 4Kids one got made. Something tells me, that version would have been good anyway, but it wouldn't have lasted long.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess this is good news

IDW publishing has got the license to do the comic books...

I REALLY hope they can contact as many of the old writers and artists as possible. Laird and Eastman will be an improbability, but I'm sure others that worked on them will hopefully come back.
}
Cuz, you see, that's the one thing that really bugged me about the Viacom sale. Mirage Studios and publishing died with the sale... and as much as I like the cartoons and prospects thereof, without the comics, there would be nothing.

I seriously hope IDW does a good job with them... I enjoyed the Ghostbustetr stuff (that's them, right?) but didn't bother to get any of their other licenses yet.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
awesome i was really disappointed on how they chose to end the last series

Drtooth

Reaction score
awesome i was really disappointed on how they chose to end the last series
Abruptly, right?

I really hope somehow, they can track Laird down and see if he can make an "ending" and then move on to something else. I REALLY hope we don't get some remake of the 80's series or an adaption of the new series... though I wouldn't mind seeing them... I'd rather see some sort of loose continuation first.