Fanfiction: The Fraggle From Outer Space

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Chapter 14

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 14

“Hahahahahahaaaa!”

“Oh no,” Boober groaned as he sat down on a rock that looked like it was drawn with crayon. “Not now.”

Around him on a dark background were various objects that all resembled things Boober had in his room (laundry hanging on clothes lines, a washtub, rocks, etc.), except they all looked like they were drawn with crayon. This was Boober’s dreamscape, and the voice that was laughing, which was nearly identical to his, was a voice he knew all too well.

“Boober, old buddy, old pal!” the voice greeted with a cheerful bounce in his voice as he slowly appeared in front of Boober, “You sly devil, you!”

He looked almost identical to Boober, except his nose and hair were slightly longer, and he wore a large, colorful, and strange-looking pair of pants and an equally large, colorful and strange-looking hat with brightly colored feathers poking out here and there. This happy-go-lucky and strange-looking fraggle was the fun side of Boober that was always kept on the bottom, otherwise known as Sidebottom.

“What do you want, Sidebottom?”

“Oh, come on, Boober. Lighten up! We’re in love! You should be celebrating! You should be RUSHing over to Goldie and SWEEPing her off her feet. Which shouldn’t be too difficult for you, Boober, since you tend to do a LOT of sweeping.”

“I have no intentions of sweeping her off her feet! What’s so great about this love stuff anyway? I’ve heard stories about this sort of thing! The ones in love always get their lives completely rearranged! I like my life just the way it is! I don’t want anything to change!”

“So you’d rather live with the nagging anguish of being in love by yourself? Are you saying you actually LIKE feeling this way?”

“No, I don’t! I hate this feeling!”

“Well, then DO something about it!”

“She doesn’t even like me!”

“How do YOU know?”

“All I seem to be good at is making her mad, which I’ve done twice already! Who would want that?”

To this Sidebottom gave a quick grin.

“Well, then it’s a good thing you have me to take up the reins for you in these times of need.”

“What? I don’t need your help.”

“Sure you do. You just said so yourself that all you do is make her mad. Let me do the talking, and she’ll surely smile for us. She might even love us.”

“She’s going to think I’m insane!”

“She already thinks you’re insane, but I can help her see that there’s more to you than just your annoying quirks.”

“Quirks? What quirks?”

“Oh, let’s see. She only thinks you’re a germaphobic hypochondriac. Nope, you’re right. What quirks?”

“Germaphobic is not a word!”

“It is to Goldie,” he singsonged, “And that’s what she sees of you! I can change that, and you know it! Do you want her to like you or not?”

“Well, I don’t want her to hate me, if that’s what you mean.”

“You know full well what I mean. You want her to like you. You can’t lie to me, Boober, even by omission. I’m you, remember? There’s nothing you can hide from me.”

“Well...”

Sidebottom then leaned closer to his old buddy, grinning a very wide and hopeful grin.

“Does this mean you’ll let me drive?”

He stood there grinning at Boober as Boober sneered at his goofy counterpart. Then he shook his head and let out a growlish sigh.

“Oh, alright. I’ll let you out, but just for a little while.”

“Yippee! Goddygoodygoody! Oh, thankyouthankyou, THANK you! Don’t you worry about a thing, old Boober, old buddy, old pal. I promise you won’t regret this. I’ll take care of everything.”

“Just don’t go overboard, okay?”

“Oh, where’s the fun in that, huh?”

“Sidebottom!”

“Alright, alright. I won’t go overboard.”

“Thank you.”

“But what do you think I should wear? Would this be alright, or do you think I should go as Doctor Fun? That was a really fun costume, wasn’t it? Oh! Maybe I should go disguised as the Old Gypsy Lady and tell her a love fortune.”

“I’d much rather you not make yourself conspicuous.”

“Oh, fine. I’ll go as you. I’ve gotta tell ya, Boober, it’s gonna make it really difficult for me. Your outfit is SO boring.”

“That’s just the way I like it. Are you going or what?”

“You don’t have to tell me twice. See ya later, Boober! WEEEEEE!”

Sidebottom then held his arms out and flew up, up and out of sight. Boober shook his head and groaned, crossing his arms as his fun side disappeared into the void above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Gobo made his way down the usual tunnels, making his weekly rounds to the room at the border of Outer Space.

He ducked under the low-hanging pipe and walked to the hole at the end of the tunnel. He just short of the hole and hid off to the side as he slowly peeked out to Outer Space.

To his surprise, the two creatures were missing again.

“I wonder if Goldie scared them away,” he thought as he walked in.

He walked down to the end of the workbench where the wastebasket was, only to find that the contents hadn’t changed at all since his last visit, including the lack of postcard from Uncle Matt.

“This is really odd,” he whispered to himself.

Any further thoughts were interrupted as he heard the door being unlocked. He quickly hid himself behind the wastebasket as the door opened and a familiar old silly creature walked in.

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you, Sprocket,” Doc said to his dog, who limped through the door behind him. “I guess you’re just not wolf material.”

“Rawrrr...” he whined, “Mmm, mmm-mmm!”

“Well, I tried to tell you, but you just HAD to pick a fight with those porcupines, didn’t you? Now look at you.”

Sprocket looked himself over, noting all the bandages around his legs, shoulders, and even his mouth. He let out another painful whine as he limped over to his doggy bed. Doc shook his head and went to his workbench to sort through the mail that had accumulated throughout the week, including the small pile he’d left behind before leaving.

“You can whine all you want, Sprocket, but you brought this upon yourself. We were lucky that there was a veterinarian hospital nearby.”

“Awrrrr....” Sighed Sprocket as he dropped his head down on his pillow.

“Now, let’s see here. Bills, catalog, bills, junk mail, another postcard to that Gobo Fraggle person...”

Gobo awaited anxiously as the postcard flew down into the wastebasket. He picked it up and began to walk back to the hole.

Sprocket noticed the little orange fraggle walking away and promptly began barking at him through his bandaged mouth, but then he stopped into another fit of whining, holding his mouth with one of his front paws. Gobo paused only a moment to look back at him. After realizing that he wasn’t going to be chased this time, he casually continued walking away.

“Yes, I know, Sprocket,” Doc replied to his dog’s barking, “We really need to do something about these Fraggle people sending their mail over here. Look at this. There’s even a letter for a Goldie Fraggle now.”

Gobo stopped just short of the fraggle hole when he heard that.

“Goldie?”

“This is just ridiculous, Sprocket,” he said as he tossed the envelope into the wastebasket. “Postcards to Gobo Fraggle and now letters to Goldie Fraggle. What next?”

Gobo hurried back and reached into the basket again, careful not to let the old silly creature see him. He picked up the letter and carefully made his way back. Sprocket could only watch and whine as the strange little furry creature once again got away without the old man noticing his existence. Sprocket let out a disappointed sigh and looked up at Doc.

“I know it hurts, Sprocket,” he said as he walked over to the dog’s bed and knelt down beside him, petting him on the head.

“Listen, the vet said you have to try not to move too much until your wounds have healed. So if you need anything, you just bark, okay?”

Sprocket nodded in response. Doc gave the dog’s head another quick rub and got back up.

“Good boy. Now you just stay there and try to get better.”

Wembley bounced along, making a strange little grunty sound with each bounce.

“Mm, mm, mm, mm-mm,” He grunted, “Mm, mm-mm, mm-mm. Oh boy! This is gonna be a fun day. Mm, mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm.”

“Wembley!” called a happy-sounding voice as a greenish-blue fraggle with bright red hair appeared out of nowhere with an uncharacteristically wide grin adorned on his face, and wrapped an arm around Wembley’s shoulder, “Wembley, Wembley, Wembley, my good buddy, Wembley!”

“Uh hi, Boober. I thought you were in quarantine again.”

“Yes I was, but now I’m out again. Isn’t it great? And you are JUST the fraggle I wanna see.”

“I am?”

“Yessiree, Wembley. Come ‘ere.”

He brought his confused greenish yellow friend closer and whispered in his ear.

“You wanna what?” Wembley replied as the whispering continued. “Uh-huh..... Right..... No kidding..... Huh........ Well, sure I can.”

“Wonderful! I’ll see you later.”

“You can count on me, Boober.”

“I know I can.”

The happy blue fraggle watched as Wembley trotted away to performed his assigned task. Not long after his friend had gone, he turned around and began on his way back to his cave.

“Now for the preparations.”

“Wait, wait, wait, wait...” a voice said from inside his head.

“What? What’s the matter?”

The image of Boober appeared walking beside Sidebottom so they could talk.

“What in the world are you planning, Sidebottom?”

“You’ll see! It’s gonna be wonderful! She’s going to love us after this.”

“I don’t want her to LOVE me! I just want her to LIKE me! Be mildly AMUSED by me! Or even just TOLERATE me! Not LOVE me!”

“Baaaah! Who’re you trying to kid?”

“I don’t kid!”

“Yeah, that’s sort of my job, isn’t it?”

“Sidebottom, I told you NOT to go overboard!”

“And I’m not. Trust me, Boober. When you see this plan come to full fruition, you’re going to thank me. No more bad times. Only good times.”

“Forgive me if I don’t hold my breath.”

“Just leave everything to me, Boober.” He said as they walked into their room. “I am nothing if not the master of fun and amusement.”

Sidebottom picked up a white long sleeve shirt from seemingly nowhere and put it on.

“Wha—wuh--!” Boober stuttered, “What is this?”

“Getting myself ready. It is said that a lady prefers a guy with class.”

“You? Class? HA! Don’t make me laugh.”

Sidebottom threw a grin in Boober’s direction as he continued dolling himself up.

(Sidebottom)
Come hand me my cuff links.

(Boober)​
“I don’t own any cuff links.”​

(Sidebottom)
And straighten my tie.

(Boober)​
“You’re not WEARING a tie!”​

(Sidebottom)
Just drench me in rich cologne,
And don’t ask me why.

(Boober)​
“What? No!”​

(Sidebottom)
Go on and pluck me a boutonniere.

(Boober)​
“Ugh, this is ridiculous...”​

(Sidebottom)
We’re moving up and walking on air.

(Boober)​
“Would you please stop singing?”​

(Sidebottom)
Stepping out with a star and feeling high.

Sidebottom danced around the room as Boober frantically tried to figure out what was going through his head, and also wondering why he knew nothing about it since they shared the same head.

(Sidebottom)
We’ll get her some flowers.

(Boober)​
“Flowers?”​

(Sidebottom)
Let’s swipe a guitar.

(Boober)​
“Uh, let’s not.”​

(Sidebottom)
Gonna sweep ‘er right off her feet
Wherever we are.

(Boober)​
“I told you, I don’t want that!”​

(Sidebottom)
Satin collar and velvet vest.
Never settle for second best.
Stepping out with a star,
Sad times, Bye-bye!

(Boober)​
“Ugh!”​

(Sidebottom)
(“Boober”)​
Have I got class? (“Oh, please don’t ask.”)​
Have I got taste? (“This is a waste!”)​
On someone else, I swear,
This savoir faire
Would be such a waste.

“Savoir faire.....” Boober said with a sneer, “Right.”
“You could have it if you gave it a shot.”
“Yes, but I don’t want to give it a shot! Sidebottom, this is precisely what I mean by going overboard!”
“Oh, lighten up a bit, will you?”

(Sidebottom)
Come toss me my top hat.

(Boober)​
“Sidebottom!”​

(Sidebottom)
I’m ready to fly.

(Boober)​
“Well, I’m not!”​

(Sidebottom)
Busting into the upper crust
As easy as pie.

(Boober)​
“Upper crust of what?”​

(Sidebottom)
Just watch your dreams come true.

(Boober)​
“What dreams?”​

(Sidebottom)
This is something we were born to do.

(Boober)​
“What is?”​

(Sidebottom)
Stepping out with a star
That star is you.

“What the--?” Boober yelped as Sidebottom grabbed his hands and began dancing with him, “Sidebottom! Wha--? Stop it!”
“Girls like a guy who can dance, Boober!” he said as he continued dancing, “Now let’s boogie!”
“I don’t want to boogie! Let me go!”

(Sidebottom)
(“Boober”)​
Have I got style? (“I don’t beguile...”)​
Have I got chic? (“She’ll think I’m a freak.”)​
To think that you and me
Were nobody
Why, only last week.

“I’m perfectly content with being a nobody.”

(Sidebottom)
Take a walk on the wild side.

(Boober)​
“What?”​

(Sidebottom)
Get ready to fly.

(Boober)​
“No!”​

(Sidebottom)
Opportunity knocks but once
Don’t let it go by.

(Boober)​
“Ugh, Sidebottom, PLEASE!”​

(Sidebottom)
(“Boober”)​
I’ll make your dreams come true.
This is something I was born to do.
Stepping out with a star, bye bad times. (“Wha—But... Ugh!”)​
Stepping out with a star, hey good times. (“Oh, I give up!”)​
Stepping out with a star and feeling hiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Sidebottom set himself up in front of a mirror and adjusted his duds. He was wearing a fine sharp suit with a large yellow polka-dot tie.

“So,” he said to Boober, “How do we look?”

Boober shook his head and walked up beside him to look in the mirror. He was shocked to find that he was somehow wearing the same outfit. He looked back and forth between the two in the reflection.

“Which one are you?”

“The one on the right, I think.”

“Remove the tie.”

“You don’t like it?”

“It’s just not me. None of this is. And it’s not you, either. In fact, you don’t look like either of us. That’s a very scary thought, that there’s a look that doesn’t look like either of us.”

“You know what? You’re right.”

He reached down and literally tore off his suit, leaving on Boober’s trademark hat and scarf. Boober sneered at his alter ego’s antics.

“You only did all that to irk me, didn’t you?”

“I just love messing with your head, Boober. You make it so easy.”

“So what’s your REAL plan?”

“You’ll see.”

“Sidebottom...”

“Don’t worry, Boober! I promised you I wouldn’t go overboard, and I always keep my promises.”

“And that whole business with Wembley?”

“All part of the plan. Trust me.”

“Alright...” Boober said with reluctance, “I’ll trust you.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Song Credits:
- Steppin’ Out With A Star—From “The Great Muppet Caper”, Lyrics slightly altered

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Oh God, that was so unfair ...I'm having bad allergy problems ... I just can't laugh this hard ... erk!

*dies*

*speaks from beyond the grave* That had to be the FUNNIEST version of Kermit's song... :big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey! Uncle Deadly... We got another one for ya in Aisle 8.
*The phantomly dragon administers his own brand of shock therapy, blue lightning shooting out of his palms, reviving Kelly.

Now then GD... This was very well crafted. So the story's taking place when Doc and Sprocket still lived at the workshop and Doc had no knowledge of Fraggles' existance. Another thing is, because of their inclusion and their coming back from the outdoors outing, I found it very similar to an actual episode of FR. And then the whole routine with Sidebottom and Boober, priceless.

Please... Post more.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh, how could you not love anything where Sidebottom is involved? He and Boober just work so well together, as well they should, living inside each others' heads and all. I love the way SB keeps referring to Boober as "us". Sort of works to enforce the bond between them. Did he ever do that in the show?
I'd also like to take this moment to partially describe my schedule to you. Don't know why I didn't say this sooner, as the term is almost over, but anyway. On Monday evenings, which is when you post most of your chapters, I have Spanish class. It isn't an especially hard or unpleasant class for me, but I'm still glad when it's over. I love the fact that I can always count on the treat of a nice long and fun chapter when I get home!
:excited:
:smirk: But I know that sometimes you decide to post intermitant chapters,
:coy: so in the hopes of that...

More please!

Gold Demona

Reaction score
I think I might be in trouble. At least for the time being.
I've managed to hit a writer's wall, so the chapter will not be finished in time to upload this week.

Because of this writer's block, I'll be taking a break this week and take the opportunity to finish up some art I've had sitting in the back burner. And I will hope that somewhere in that time my muse will smack me hard enough for me to be able to continue writing.

Muse: "Hey!" *smacks me with an I-beam* "Keep writing!" D=<
Me: "Owie! Ok! Ok!" ><

Gold Demona

Reaction score
I know! I know I know I know! I JUST knocked the writer's wall down and I think I've got my groove back.
Hopefully I'll have the chapter up by this coming Monday. DX

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Finaly, an update... =P

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 15

“Thank you SO much for agreeing to pose for me, Goldie. I’ve just been so inspired today, I just have to get this out.”

Goldie was lying on Red’s hammock with her legs crossed and her hands behind her head. Mokey stood a few feet away with a canvas in front of her and a paintbrush in her hand. On this canvas she painted Goldie on the hammock. Behind her was another canvas that she was painting on using her tail as a brush, on which was appearing a picture of her plant, Lanford.

“No problem, Mokey. I didn’t really have anything better to do. Doesn’t help that I’m still really full from all those doozer constructions I knocked down today.”

“Oh, I know. I still can’t believe you ate so many. I’ll bet the doozers were pretty pleased, though.”

“I wouldn’t know. I didn’t see any. How are you able to do two paintings at the same time?"

“It’s simple. I have so many ideas in my head, I couldn’t possibly do them all one at a time.”

Goldie didn’t respond to that. In a way it made sense, but at the same time it didn’t. She looked off to the side at Lanford, who seemed to be glaring holes into her from its pot at the other side of the room, which was strange because it didn’t have any eyes to glare with.

“And what’s YOUR problem?"

Lanford growled at her.

“Yeah, same to you!"

“Lanford!"

The plant’s nasty stare disappeared at the sound of its name as it looked over to its owner, letting out an inquisitive purr.

“You be nice!"

It lowered its head to the rock its pot was sitting on, purring sadly. When Mokey took her gaze back to her painting, Lanford looked back at Goldie and quickly stuck its tongue out at her. And Goldie replied by sticking her tongue out at him, which somehow seemed to satisfy the both of them for the moment.

“Sorry about that, Goldie. I don’t know why Lanford’s so uncomfortable around you. He’s usually so friendly. Well... Red doesn’t get along with Lanford that well, either.”

“It’s alright, Mokey. Maybe he just doesn’t like yellow fraggles.”

“Well, that’s a silly reason to not like someone.”

“Tell that to some of the humans in Outer Space.”

“They don’t get along because of what color they are?"

“A lot of them. And that’s just one of the reasons they don’t get along with each other.”

“Well, why don’t they? I mean it’s so easy to just accept a person for what they are and move on.”

“Apparently, it’s not that simple for them. One of a lot of things that makes me glad I’m not one of them.”

“It’s so strange. When Gobo’s Uncle Traveling Matt writes about the silly creatures in Outer Space, it’s always something nice and silly.”

“That’s because he’s blessed with the inability to see any of the awful things in Outer Space. He doesn’t know it like I do, so all he sees is the wonder and the excitement.”

“Oh... I see.”

“Don’t get me wrong, though. Not all humans are like that. My grandparents, for example. They love me for who I am, and they don’t really care WHAT I am. They always supported me in anything I wanted to do, even after I made my decision to leave home and come here.”

“It must’ve been so hard for you to leave such a caring family behind.”

“Yeah...”

Goldie’s mind trailed off to her grandparents, to their nice comfy house. She wondered what they were doing at this very moment.

Mokey noted the distant look on Goldie’s face.

“Goldie?"

“Hm?"

“Do you like it here in Fraggle Rock?"

“Yeah, I love it here. I’ve made so many wonderful new friends; I can’t even count them all. And I’ve even learned a lot about myself and why I am the way I am. I think coming here was the best decision I’ve ever made.”

“Well, that’s good at least.”

Mokey continued her paintings for a moment until another question crossed her mind.

“Say, Goldie.”

“Yeah?"

“What do you think of Boober?"

“What?" Goldie replied in confusion at the sudden change of topic.

“You know, Boober. What do you think of him?"

“I think he’s a weirdo.”

“Oh? What makes you say that?"

“I dunno. One minute he seems like a really nice guy, and the next he’s all crazy. Like today, he was hiding in his room again, babbling about how he was dying of some horrible disease.”

Mokey bit her lip so she wouldn’t tell Goldie the truth about Boober’s so-called illness. She remembered she’d promised Boober she wouldn’t tell her and that she’d let Boober do it. It was apparent that he hadn’t done so yet.

“I could tell there was something else going on with him, but he wouldn’t tell me what. It made me so mad, I had to go and vent my anger before something regrettable happened.”

“Oh, so THAT’S why you were tearing at those doozer constructions.”

“Yeah... Hey, are you done with that painting yet?"

“Hey, has anyone seen Goldie?" called Gobo as he entered the Great Hall.

His question was followed by a series of no’s and head shakes from most of the other fraggles in the room. Gobo then walked over to the pond, where Red was getting ready to make her jump from high on one of the taller rocks.

“Hey, Red. Ya got a minute?"

“Can’t talk now, Gobo," she said plainly as she started her stretches, “I’m way too busy right now.”

“Tryin’ to break the splash record again, eh?"

“You betcha.”

“Don’t you think it’s a little silly to try and beat a record you already beat?"

“What, and let my guard down while somebody else tries and take it? I think not!"

“Suit yerself.”

“Alright, you ready, Lou?" Red called to the lavender fraggle taking notes below.

“Yup!" she called back “Ready to go, Red!"

“Okay, here I go!" she called and made a back flip off the rock, “WOOHOO!"

She curled into a tight cannonball and spun wildly as she hit the water, creating a huge splash that sent water through most of the Great Hall. Fortunately, Gobo had the letter and postcard safely put away in his vest pocket before the splash hit him. He shook himself dry as Red came swimming up to the edge of the pond.

“Did you see that, Gobo? I’ll bet that was the record-breaker! What was the score on that one, Lou?"

“You made a perfect barrel-roll cannonball, Red.”

“I already know the technique I used. What was the score on the splash? Did I beat the record or what?"

“Nope, you were just two inches short of the record. Sorry, Red.”

“No problem. All I gotta do is try again.”

“Uh, this was your tenth attempt, Red," Lou pointed out, “I think maybe you should take a break before making your next one.”

“Good idea," Red replied as she climbed out of the pond and dried herself with a towel Lou handed to her. “I need to be perfectly focused if I’m gonna beat that record. I’ll see you in a few minutes, Lou.”

“Roger," she replied with a salute as she set her notes down and walked away.

“So what was it you wanted to talk to me about, Gobo?" Red said as she finished toweling herself.

“I went to Outer Space to pick up my postcard today.”

“Well, that’s nothing new. You go EVERY week.”

“Yeah, but this week I also found a letter for Goldie. I didn’t see her in her room, so I was wondering if you’ve seen her around.”

“Nope. Sorry, Gobo. Haven’t seen her all day.”

“Haven’t seen who all day?" Mokey asked as she walked in.

“Hey, Mokey," Gobo greeted, “I’ve got a letter here for Goldie. Have you seen her?"

“She was just in my room with me a few minutes ago.”

“Any idea where she is now?"

“Sorry, Gobo. I haven’t a clue.”

“Well, I guess I’ll just leave this in her room for her to find later then," he said as he started walking past the girls and out of the Great Hall, “Thanks anyway. I’ll catch ya later, eh. Hey, maybe I’ll come back and break yer record for you, Red.”

“Ha! Not if I beat it first! Come on, Mokey, pick up Lou’s notes real quick.”

“Okay, Red.”

“So where are you taking me, Wembley?"

“Oh, you’re really gonna love it, Goldie. It’s real pretty there. Lotsa pretty lights. And the acoustics aren’t too bad, either.”

Wembley was taking Goldie to Firefly Cavern, a place which served as an alternative gathering place for the fraggles for when they decide not to gather in the Great Hall. Sidebottom, posing as Boober, had sent Wembley on a series of errands, the last of which was to bring Goldie to the cavern.

“So I guess it’s a good place to make music, huh?"

“Oh yeah, definitely. Just wait and see. You’ll love it. Oh boy, there it is! Come on!"

Wembley broke into a run as they arrived at the cavern, and Goldie followed close behind. To Goldie’s surprise, the cavern was actually quite dark. She stopped for a moment as Wembley kept running to the far end of the room. Confused, Goldie looked around the room trying to figure out why the place was called Firefly Cavern if there weren’t any lights. And then she realized that Wembley had disappeared into the darkness.

“Wembley?" She called. “Hello?"

“Hit it!" Wembley yelled and then began a beat on the bongo drums he had laid in front of him.

Then a spotlight appeared ahead, shining on a fraggle that Goldie thought resembled Boober, only he was wearing a poofy white shirt with frills at the sleeves and neck, and he had a pair of maracas in his hands and a wide smile on his face.

“Ugh, how did I let you talk me into this?" the image of Boober asked as Sidebottom flaunted his newest costume. “This isn’t going to work.”

“Trust me, Boober," Sidebottom replied to him in thought, “You’ll thank me for this.”

“Hahh," Boober sighed and covered his eyes, “I can’t bear to watch.”

Then the sound of bongo drums and trumpets began to play as Sidebottom began to dance with his maracas. Goldie couldn’t help but laugh at this as the fraggle she assumed to be Boober began to sing.

(Sidebottom)
They call me Cuban Pete.
I’m the king of the rumba beat.
When I play the maracas I go
Chick Chicky-boom, Chick Chicky-boom.

As he continued singing and dancing, he slowly made his way towards Goldie, who just chuckled at him as she crossed her arms and watched him perform.

Yes sir, I’m Cuban Pete.
I’m the craze of my native street.
When I start to dance everything goes
Chich chicky-boom, Chick Chicky-boom.

The senoritas, they sing and how they swing with this rumbero
It's very nice, so full of spice
And when they're dancin they bring a happy ring the maraquero
Singin a song, all the day long

So if you like the beat
Take a lesson from Cuban Pete,
And I'll teach you to Chick Chicky-boom,
Chick Chicky-boom, Chick Chicky-boom

Sidebottom tossed his maracas aside, took Goldie by the hand, and swung her around to start dancing with her.

“Woah, Boober!" she laughed as she was caught in the dance, “What’s all this?"

“What, you don’t like to dance?"

“No, I love to dance.”

“Perfect.”

(Sidebottom)
Si, señorita, I know that you will like the chicky boom chick
It’s very nice, so full of spice.
I'll place my hand on your hip and if you will just give me your hand
Then we shall try, just you and I.

So if you like the beat
Take a lesson from Cuban Pete
And I'll teach you to Chick chicky boom,
Chick Chicky-boom, Chick Chicky-boom

As Sidebottom continued their dance to the beat of the music, Goldie watched him carefully. She knew that he had to be Boober, but she could feel there was something else going on.

“So what’s going on here, Boober?"

“I just wanted to make up for how I acted earlier. Is that so wrong?"

“No I guess not," she chuckled and then paused for a moment. “But I can’t help but feel like there’s more to it than that.”

At that instant, time seemed to slow to a crawl as the image of Sidebottom stepped out of Boober’s body and walked around behind Boober’s image.

“That’s your cue, Boober. Break a leg.”

“Wait! Wha--?" Boober protested as Sidebottom pushed him to his body “Sidebottom, wait! Stop! No!"

Boober shook off the rush of being shoved back into his own body. Goldie tilted her head in confusion as the dance suddenly stopped, though the music still kept playing. Then Boober realized the position he was in and quickly took a couple steps back away from Goldie.

“I’m sorry," he said, “This was all too weird. I... This wasn’t...”

“Boober, what’s going on with you?"

“It’s just that.... Well....”

“Tell her you wanted to make up for being a jerk earlier!" Sidebottom whispered from behind him.

“Oh, you be quiet!"

“Who are you telling to be quiet?" Goldie

“What! No! Not you! Somebody else! It’s uh.... The music. Yeah! Stop the music, Wembley! Be quiet!"

The cave creatures that were playing the trumpets quickly ended their music while Wembley stopped beating on his drums.

“Uh, okay, Boober," Wembley replied nervously as he picked up his bongos and left. “I guess I’ll just be going then.”

After Wembley and the cave creatures were gone, Boober looked at Goldie, who had the most perplexed look on her face he’d ever seen. He let out a sigh and shook his head.

“Look, Goldie, I... I don’t like making you mad. I... I know I can be a little... eccentric at times, and I can’t help the things I’m afraid of, but.......... the truth is...... I like you. I don’t want you to hate me.”

This caught Goldie completely off guard. She didn’t know what to say to that.

“All of this...” he continued, looking around the room and pointing to the firefly lights, “Was mostly to make up for what happened earlier. I just wanted you to see something of me besides a.... a germaphobic hypochondriac.”

Goldie smiled as he finished speaking. She stepped up to him and took his hand, clasping it with both her hands.

“I don’t hate you, Boober.”

“You don’t?"

She shook her head.

“You didn’t have to do all this just to apologize. I’d already forgiven you long before I was brought here.”

“You had?"

She nodded.

“You’re a really nice fraggle, Boober.... in spite of your little eccentricities.”

“Eh heh-heh.”

“And for the record, I like you, too.”

Boober let out a gasp as his face suddenly turned as red as his hair. His heart began racing and his knees grew weak. It was right then that Boober finally figured out what Mokey was talking about. But then he wildly shook his head to snap himself out of it.

“No! Nonononono!" he sputtered and started to run away.

“Oh, no you don’t!" Goldie yelled and grabbed his tail so he couldn’t go anywhere.

“I can’t do this, Goldie!" he yelled back, “I’m not ready for it!"

“Ready for what?"

“When two fraggles fall in love with each other, they sing the Song of the Forever Promise, and then their lives get completely turned around! I’m not ready for that yet!"

Goldie blinked at Boober for a moment, trying to figure out what he meant. Then something clicked in her head, and she knew exactly what the problem was.

“So you’re afraid of getting married," she smiled.

“Getting what?"

“When two humans are in love with each other--”

“Humans?"

“Er, Silly Creatures. When they love each other enough, they get married. They promise to live together and stay together forever.”

“Yes, that’s exactly it. I don’t want that yet.”

“But you do like me, right?"

Boober hung his head, not really wanting to answer the question.

“Yes. Very much so.”

Goldie smiled and released her grip on his tail.

“When two humans fall in love, they first do this thing called ‘going steady’.”

“Going steady?"

“Humans don’t get married right when they fall in love. They go steady first. Spend some time to really get to know each other before they make the promise and move in together.”

This idea sparked Boober’s interest. He was wide-eyed with amazement at the sheer brilliance of the idea.

“So nothing has to change?"

“Nope, nothing," Goldie answered, “I don’t want to get married yet, either. So maybe you would like to go steady with me instead?"

Boober hopped closer to Goldie and took her hands in his.

“Are you kidding? I’d love to! That is the most ingenious concept I’ve ever heard! And it was invented by Silly Creatures!"

Goldie giggled. This was the happiest she’d seen Boober since she arrived, and she found it absolutely charming.

“Hey, let’s go back to my cave," Boober suggested as the two started walking, “I’ll whip up my famous Radish Soufflé.”

“You can cook?"

“Cooking happens to be my expertise. That and laundry.”

“Of course," she laughed.

“What’s so funny?"

“Oh, it’s nothing.”

“I’m serious. Cooking and laundry are my areas of expertise.”

Goldie decided to leave that topic where it was. She looked to Boober, who couldn’t keep his eyes off her. The instant their eyes met, he blushed and looked away. She grinned as a thought suddenly occurred to her.

“So all that talk of you thinking you were dying," she said, “It was actually these feelings, wasn’t it? You just didn’t know what it was.”

“Ngh!"

Goldie laughed at his sudden tenseness.

“You know what, Boober? You’re a dork.”

“Is... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

Goldie just busted up laughing, realizing that Boober didn’t know what a dork was. She placed an arm over his shoulder.

“Never mind, Boober. Let’s just get to your place.”

Song Credits:
- Cuban Pete—by Desi Arnaz, shortened version